Old 02-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #1

Using screws on the roof

what type of screw and how long should it be to attach a coix cable to the roof of my 2013 Leprechaun?

Ron Franks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
Head Rambler

I wouldn't use a screw for securing coax cable. I'd just get some eternabond tape and clean along the route of the cable and cover the cable with a strip of that. You could even put some caulking at the end of it if you wanted to seal it up.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Site Team

If you put a screw through either one of those things, you're gonna have a bad time.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #4

Not familiar with the tape referenced but will check it out. Saw several videos where clips were used to secure cable but prefer not to use if it can be avoided. Will have to drill a hole where the cable enters the cabin but have found a cover plate from King for that purpose. Thanks
Old 02-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Franks View Post
Not familiar with the tape referenced but will check it out. Saw several videos where clips were used to secure cable but prefer not to use if it can be avoided. Will have to drill a hole where the cable enters the cabin but have found a cover plate from King for that purpose. Thanks
Even with your cover plate you will have to use a sealant like Dicor self leveling. You can use Eternabond to secure the cable to the roof, if necessary. I wouldn't use screws and clips if I could avoid it. How long a run of cable are you looking at?
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
Grammar Pedant

Putting a hole in your roof with a screw (or anything else) is akin to shaking your fist at the sky in a direct challenge. Go ahead, try to defeat my protection of this hole. Mother nature/God (where ever you line up) will accept this challenge with vigor and intent ... and I wish you luck.

As others have said, I'd look for surface adhesion methods of attachment. There may be other structural elements on the roof that you can take advantage of, too (vents, A/C, etc.).

Good luck.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #7

I agree with the above,Eternabond. there is also this tape some do not know about.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/
Old 02-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #8

I used Dicor self-leveling to attach cables from my solar panels to the roof.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
I agree with the above,Eternabond. there is also this tape some do not know about.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/

This stuff sounds great. Will have to try some.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #10

There are different strengths of 3M VHB tape. They have a black rubbery core and a red strip on one side that you remove to get both sides sticky. Its the only tape that holds to polyethylene. At Lowes search for 3M VHB

There are times when you need the strength of a screw. I seal with Sikaflex. It stays flexible and can be had in self leveling or thick formats. Get it in the building supply department at a Lowes etc. It will glue plastic, paint and even porous materials. Looks nicer than Dicor and seems to be at least as durable. Fill the hole with it and then run the screw in. Im on my 4th year with this stuff and no cracks or fungal growth like Dicor. No leaks, of course.

Gordon
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #11

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The tape for the cable sound good. I am looking at a run of from 3 to 4 feet before I run through the hole in the roof. I, however, see no way to avoid using screws to attach the mounting plate for the satellite dish.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #12

Some of these "glands" go through the roof, but my favorites are the ones that can be mounted high on the side wall, wire entry facing down, with the back aligned with the inside of a cabinet to enable a clean installation. It's easier to monitor and maintain a gland on the side wall than it is if it penetrates the roof.

As for dressing the wire with clips or mounts, if you choose to go with screw clips, these are what cable installers use. Pre-drill and fill the hole with silicone or some other sealant, slather sealant on the threads, then install. Then slather with more sealant. Monitor and maintain as you would any other roof penetration...of which there are plenty on the roof of any RV. The hex heads on these cable clips enable fairly easy removal even if the heads are gooped up with sealant. This enables easy, regular roof maintenance under the cable by removing the clips from the roof, doing your roof work, then re-installing. If the cable is secured every 2' to 3' with these, it won't go anywhere from winds at highway speeds.
I used these to dress the cables from my solar panel on my rig.

One other option...less sure about this one. I have some industrial strength 2" Velcro. I used it between my bag awning and the camper body to keep the bag from being lifted by the wind and slamming the camper body. This Velcro sticks to the bag (soft vinyl) VERY well, and sticks to the fiberglass body as if it's bolted on. And the Velcro itself is so powerful that it's very hard to pull it apart. Adhere one side to the roof and hold the cable to the roof with the other side. If it sticks to the roof well enough, it might just do the job.

Sealants are great...as is Eternabond Tape. But fasteners are fasteners, and despite looking pretty hard, I found no EXTERIOR GRADE adhesive cable clips...especially ones that will stick to a broad spectrum of roof surfaces and textures found on RVs. Stick to fiberglass? Sure...something smooth and hard might work. But most RV roofs are some sort of rubbery stuff.

Anyway...that's my 2 cents. Good luck with your project.
Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #13

Would you suggest to use Sikaflex to seal the crack where the front fiberglass cap of a motorhome meets the fiberglass roof?
bstnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstnet View Post
Would you suggest to use Sikaflex to seal the crack where the front fiberglass cap of a motorhome meets the fiberglass roof?
Definitely Eternabond tape for this, unless you want to keep redoing whatever sealant you use (Dicor, sikaflex, etc). Eternabond comes in several colors and width and considered a permanent fix if applied correctly
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #15
Senior

I used self adhesive cable ties but since they come in a pack of 100 it would be a lot of waste for your job. Since you will need some Dicor or equivalent I would use some to attach the cable as someone else suggested.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #16

I used strips (2 x 4 inches) of eternabond tape about 2 feet apart on a 18’ run of coax on my roof with no issues. It has been in place for about 1-1 /2 years and has not moved at all.

2017.5 Forester 3051S
2019 Jeep Trailhawk toad
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof