Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

Velvac 2020 mirror assistance

My 2006 Sunseeker on the Ford E-450 chassis has the Velvac 2020 Standard head mirrors. Departing for our Branson trip I adjusted the right mirror down a bit for better visibility. An hour down the road the head of the mirror slipped vertically to where all I could see was the white line going by the outside dual.
Hmmmm
At our lunch stop I adjusted it again, did not seem to be loose or anything. No sooner got back on the interstate than the mirror slipped downward again, this time I watched it slide downward... Great. No right side view mirror, had to rely on my wonderful co-pilot/naviguesser to make sure I didn't run anybody off the road changing lanes to the right.

Now, the only set screw I found is that 3/16 allen head for adjusting the mirror in or out, no screw or bolt adjustment for tilting the mirror up or down. The documentation on the Velvac website lacks, well, somewhat.
The "manual" in the coach is the same as on the web site.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep the mirror head from slipping down vertically any more? Do I need replacement parts, or a new mirror head? Any help will be appreciated. I'm attaching photos so you can see what I have.

Chris in Virginia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4139.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	17726   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4140.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	17727  

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #2

It appears that mirror came as remote adjusting or manual. If manual appears to me its a friction fit inside the head just like cars had for years. There appears to be a way to contact tech service for help maybe?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #3

Tech support

VinceU, I thought I'd try the savvy folks on the forum here before I gave the folks at Velvac a whack. Yes, it looks like they use a friction type ball socket, but is there a way to get to it to adjust?

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Thats why the techies, I couldn't figure how to get it out without breaking the glass, mabe that the way? Without a doubt its a one time push fit to make it look good and keep it in! I saw one place to renew the small enhansed mirror, they sell you both.....
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

Recently replaced the mirror on wife's Honda van. The glass clipped onto the motor mechanism. Can't remember if it was slide the glass up or slide it down to take it out.

I don't know about your mirror, but I'd bet the glass comes out with a slide or twist in some direction or another..... Then you can access the mechanics...
blw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #6

For those who are searching for how to tighten the vertical mirror rotation on the Velvac mirror; first back out the Allen head set screw and pull up the mirror housing to remove the mirror from the arm, then use a “S” wrench to reach into the hole in the bottom of the mirror to tighten the two bolts inside the mirror housing. I bought the SAE “S” set at Harbor Freight and used the 3/8” wrench.
Yakimacharlesferguson is offline   Reply With Quote