Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

Virginia State Parks are Really Great

We stayed at one on route 390 called Shenandoah River SP. Right near the northern entrance to Skyline Drive. Even a curmudgeon wouldn't be able to find a thing wrong with the place. It also is located right on the river.

Just thought I'd pass this one on. The only downside I found had to do with the drivers and not the park. They tailgate so bad it is no exaggeration to say they draft each other. However, minus that one deadly habit they drove quite well using blinkers, passing only when they legally could, etc. I stopped looking behind me...
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
Road Warrior

We are booked for a few days in October at Grayson Highlands in western VA. Heard nice things about the park, looking forward to our time there.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRV View Post
We are booked for a few days in October at Grayson Highlands in western VA. Heard nice things about the park, looking forward to our time there.
Looked at that one since you mentioned it and put it on the list for a WV/VA trip in the future. We took a drive through WV and I thought it was a really nice place to visit, often overlooked I think.

We noticed at Shenandoah River the camp host would drive around at least every 2 hours making sure things were right. Then security would drive around at least every hour. Between them they ensured everything was going well.

At one point one of the new arrivals had their dog loose and it charged at us. They were sarcastic when we told them to keep their mutt on a leash. So instead of letting it go we figured we'd turn them in as a response to their sarcasm. The host took care of it so fast that when we were walking back to our site the dog was gone.

You don't see thst very often. BTW, everything was clean as a whistle and sites were spacious.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #4

Like to hear that, we take great pride in our State Parks, as a tax payer we put a lot of money into them. The Virginia State park system has been voted #1 in the USA. Welcome to Virginia

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRV View Post
Grayson Highlands is a wonderful park, but be aware that in October, temps at night can get downright chilly - talking low 40s chilly, maybe even into the 30s for a few hours.

We were there in May a couple of years ago and we had a light dusting of snow when we awoke in the am. It warmed up well during the day and with the heat we've been having this week, a cool night would be good.

My daughter camped there last night and I haven't heard from her yet today, but I'm sure it was pretty cool since we had some storms come through late last night.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #6

We camped host at Westmoreland SP last month, are doing the same at Douthat SP this month and have also visited Grayson Highlands. Everyone that we have come in contact with has been terrific to work with.

I am getting the impression that all of the Virginia State Park are like this.
BTW in the 1930s they were the first state to establish a state park system and did it with the help of the CCC.