Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #1

We need a motorhome garage - anyone have plans?

I'm not the first person to want to build a motorhome garage, and I've got a few ideas on what would be nice to include, but why re-invent the wheel? What do you have, what do you like about it, what is the downside and what would you do differently were you to do it again?

At this point we're thinking a multi-purpose building with tractor and implement storage as well as the motorhome. I want to put my studio there (which means living space like appointments and I'm thinking above the tractor / implement storage area. I want water, power, sewer, heat and a/c for the studio area (yes sometimes it does get warmish here for at least a couple days). I am also thinking washbay (tiled?) to make cleanup easier as well as a dump connection. I want a full bath (or at least a huge shower) which I'm thinking would be useful in situations having nothing to do with the motorhome like three children covered in pond scum! My suspicion is that we'd do a septic tank only rather than linking it to our existing tank / field. I don't think it would need to be pumped that frequently.

So what am I forgetting? What isn't going to end up being particularly useful? What is this going to cost? What kind of construction is going to make a difference (yes it gets to 40 below here).

Anyone want to share pictures of what they've built?
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #2

There are numerous companies out there that specialize in outbuildings of all sizes, shapes and construction. From metal buildings to pole barns, etc, you can find exactly what you want and from what I have seen for very good prices built on your site.

I would advise to think ahead to the future and or resale. You may never own a 45' diesel pusher motorhome but a building big enough to hold one could be a huge deal maker to a prospective buyer someday when you are ready to move on.

Knowing that we would buy a new motorhome, I had an RV bay added to the end of our garage when we built our house. Constrained by the width of the house and the roof line it is 39' long and wide enough that we can open our slides inside. The ceiling height is 14' and I installed outlets in the ceiling in two locations directly above the RV so that if I found I needed power for a drill or light to work on the roof of the RV I would have it conveniently located right there. As I wired our house myself I included a 50amp outlet as well to keep the RV plugged in while in the garage. Again, you may not need 50amps but it's easier to convert down that not to have it. Just this last spring I ran PEX tubing across the rafters to the other side of the bay and put in a water spigot so that I can fill our water tank right in the garage. Also we had an RV dump put in just outside the garage at the front so I can dump the tanks just before backing it in.

When I retire we plan on moving and building a much smaller house and a much larger shop/barn/RV garage. I am planning on 40' x 60' so that I can keep the motorhome inside as well as my bass boat without disconnecting it from it's TV and have a nice shop area.

Good luck on your project. Post pictures as it goes up.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #3

Hello I just put one up for my 5er. Check out farmtek.com Canopies and shelters they will alter also for you.
mm12348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #4

I've heard of these guys before:
Barn Kits | Horse Barns | Pole Barns | RV Garages | Horse Arenas | Barn Homes
Old 10-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
I would advise to think ahead to the future and or resale. You may never own a 45' diesel pusher motorhome but a building big enough to hold one could be a huge deal maker to a prospective buyer someday when you are ready to move on.

I wanted to allow enough walk around room with the slides out (and the bikes still mounted on the rack in the back) but your point about re-sale is a good one.

I like the idea of additional outlets overhead - easy enough to do and quite handy when you need them.

Good ideas!
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote