Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

What do I need to travel into Canada?

we're up in michigan and want to cross the border while here. we do have passports.
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #2

passports is good, but make sure you declare any firearms if you have......

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inf...89648516990#a1
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #3

Plus: no criminal record, no drugs, no hand guns or other prohibited weapons and you may want to turn off your cell phone when you cross the border.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #4

Make sure and take off sunglasses if you have them on, and once you pull up turn off your engine.
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
NELA

<makes cautious mental note about crossing in to Canada, especially not by accident.

Remove SUNGLASSES?

"other prohibited weapons" ???? slingshots?
'splain please

why turn off cell phones?

drugs: even prescription drugs? again...'splain please

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Documentation wise, you'll need passports, plus possibly any vet papers for the pets to get into Canada. Coming back you might also need proof of ownership to prove you didn't just pick up the RV Canuck side.

Aside from that, if you do carry, your best bet is to find some kind of local storage and not even bring them. Pretty much you won't be allowed to carry anyways, so it's not like you're missing out on having them. If you have no other choice but to bring them with you then absolutely make sure you declare them. In the CSBA's eyes, failure to declare = smuggling = serious offence. As long as you declare, it's not so bad. They'll most likely either be confiscated, or you'll just be turned back, depending on the officer. Of course, if you don't carry, no worries.

Following that, there's not much you have to worry about regarding food stuffs, etc... As pointed out above, inspection.gc.ca has the list of what's allowed and not, but generally they're not as restrictive as the US. Coming back, avoid bringing back anything fresh (fruit, vegs, etc...) and in most cases you'll be fine. Unfortunately, the US side as too many hands in the pot to try to determine everything that is or isn't allowed. (CHP, USDA, FDA, CDC, etc...) Some aren't even things you'd normally think about. For instance, Minute Rice can't be brought over. (That reminds me, I need to remember to remove the rice before our trip this weekend.)

Alcohol and smokes are allowed for 'reasonable personal consumption'. For us Canadians returning to Canada, this equates to 1 40 oz'r or a case of beer or 2 bottles of wine and at most a carton of cigarettes. While that's the official rule, I believe the American visitors are often granted more leeway. I wouldn't try to push it though. They're gonna be curious if you're trying to claim you're going to drink 20 cases of beer over a 2 day weekend; however, a modestly stocked bar of 4-5 bottles that are open and at various stages of use could possibly be OK.

Also, you said you're coming from Michigan. Both Michigan and southern Ontario are under a quarantine on the transportation of firewood due to the emerald ash borer and some other insect. So don't bring firewood across.

Most of what you need to know, aside from what's on inspection.gc.ca can be found on the CBSA's website:

Travellers - Visitors to Canada
Old 09-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
<makes cautious mental note about crossing in to Canada, especially not by accident.

Remove SUNGLASSES?
The better to see you with my dear. (Couldn't resist). They need to confirm things like eye colour.

Quote:
"other prohibited weapons" ???? slingshots?
'splain please
Everyone knows about the handgun limits, but a fair number of knives are prohibited as well. The link I put in my post above can explain better on exactly what is and isn't allowed.

Quote:
why turn off cell phones?
They don't have to actually be turned off at a land crossing, but it's more of a courtesy thing. They really don't like people receiving calls (either side of the border).

Also, since you're crossing, you're now roaming. Some people prefer to just leave their phones off unless needed to avoid potential roaming charges.

Quote:
drugs: even prescription drugs? again...'splain please
Anything you have a prescription for (except maybe medical M_____) should be fine. On the other hand though, bringing over a full vial of Oxycodine and not having a prescription for it is a no-no.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

Officially, Americans don't need a passport to get into Canada. However, your government requires you to have one to get back into your own country so the point is moot.

Sunglasses: border agents always ask you to remove them because they are trained to look at what your eyes are doing as you answer questions.

Cellphone: unless you have north-america-wide roaming, our roaming rates are rapacious (same for Canadians roaming in the U.S.)

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
DDC

Lots of money for fuel, we get to pay european prices for it.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Lots of money for fuel, we get to pay european prices for it.
LOL I second that, you will be paying 5plus dollars a ltr.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #11

So what constitutes proof of ownership? All that we have with us are our insurance papers.
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb View Post
So what constitutes proof of ownership? All that we have with us are our insurance papers.
Registration

I just crossed last week for a day visit and showed passport & vet docs for Bella (my dog). Crossed via ferry from Cape Vincent to Wolfe Island and then ferry to Kingston. It was just a day trip (w/o my tt) to do some 1000 Island sightseeing. The line coming back across to the U.S. took a little longer but still went smoothly.
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #13

You don't need proof of ownership to cross there or back. I have been to Canada several times and they never ask me where I bought my RV. Just have your registration. That's you proof there. Plus, you have American plates on your rig. No different than taking your car over the border.
" On the go to see something amazing"
- Psalm 107:23-24
lrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #14

Canada will also deny entry if you've had a DWI.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
Canada will also deny entry if you've had a DWI.
I doubt you'd be denied just on having a DWI in the past. However, there's a pretty good chance you'd be denied if you're currently DWI.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I doubt you'd be denied just on having a DWI in the past. However, there's a pretty good chance you'd be denied if you're currently DWI.
In Canada it is a felony offense. There is in fact a great likelihood that you would get denied entry. It is discretionary, and more probable the more recent the occurrence...and don't lie about it.

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
If you have any pending legal action or on probation likely will be questioned and returned. Then a minimum 1 year wait to retry entry. If you take firearms in and are caught it is closer to 10 years. If they are registered hunting weapons, no problem, just declare them.

We travelled to the US the same day a person attacked our freedom shooting un armed Solider in Ottawa then moved to Parliment. At the time we did not know, the US border was tight, lots of questions, including the exact campground address. Every time we are questioned about fruits and vegetables and some meats.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I have a friend that can't go into USA due to a DWI 20 years ago in Canada. He was fine till the day he was asked to go inside for a random inspection. That is when they discovered his charge.

don't forget to bring your Toque

If you are planning on bring any firearms you need to make an application prior to going to the border.
Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #19

Turning off cell phone is great idea. Many smartphones automatically update apps like email and Facebook etc. The data charges can quickly add up.

If you don't have an international data plan the cost for date per KB is .015 cents. Cell coverage is $1.00 a minute. Texts are 50 cents each. (AT&T pay per use rates)
Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #20
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
LOL I second that, you will be paying 5plus dollars a ltr.
Is that in Canadian or US dollars?? And per liter or per gallon?

Researching on the internet, I calculated the cost for diesel in Canada to be about $4.75 (US) per gallon in the Calgary area.

We're planning a trip to the Calgary area for next summer...but if it's $5 per liter, maybe we'll reconsider.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, travel