Old 01-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Camper View Post
We travel with 3 kids and a dog. This made the Class A a much quieter ride than being crammed into my truck while towing a 5er. Also, the fact that our kids can watch TV, play games, eat lunch, and use the bathroom all on the go was a big plus. Set up and parking is now a breeze as well. Just food for thought.

These are reasons to "upgrade" - from our lite 5 th wheel, especially the easier set up and disconnect!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #12

With a name like "Harley" Bill...are you gonna be pulling or loading bikes... or a toad ...or both? Might make a difference in your choices.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #13
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I think if your wanting the full package it's got to be a diesel. I think (newer) both class A's are good for the 100k-150k mileage range. I like the floor plans of the 5rs and I've always been a pickup man so it would be extra hard to convert to flat tow. Right now I'm looking at a F-450. This will give extra space for the puppies and children (plus 8ft box for my stuff). One of the better features to the diesel is basement storage. Good luck!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 AM   #14

The Ford V10 has the Tow Haul feature-I use that going up hill and down hill. The 30 valve engine has a great torque rating. It's slower going up hill but I'm not in a hurry. You can tap the brakes going down hill and get engine braking. Ford has a 7500 mile oil change interval. There are arguements for both engines. My wife's parents went cross country several times in a National gasser with no issues. I bought the gasser. There are a lot of gas units that have many of the amenities of a diesel.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:18 AM   #15

I went right from towing a FR - Rockwood with a Ram 1500 to a Berkshire. I love the torque of the DP, the fuel mileage, the maintenance intervals, the engine brake, the basement storage and the sturdiness of a Class A. Another plus IMO for the DP is the Allison 3000 transmission: it handles the power and the torque of the Cummins 360 with apparent ease. The engine/tranmission combined with the air brakes makes towing a breeze. The hydraulic leveling jacks makes set-up pretty much painless. I especially like the Berkshire's wet bay layout. About the only thing I wish I had is a power shore power cord reel.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:55 AM   #16

Wonder if we can change our name? Bill gave up his Harley to go full time! He said can't go both and he couldn't resolve bringing it along. Initially he wanted a Class A and bring it on a lift, no Toad. But I said we'll need a car for our grandson....so the bike went....I'm still in shock!
Debbie
Old 01-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Not only the towing, but the braking system on a diesel is much better than any gasser. Air brakes and exhaust/engine brake can be a life saver.

Not knocking gassers, just making a point.
Thanks! This is a consideration!
Debbie
Old 01-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
I think if your wanting the full package it's got to be a diesel. I think (newer) both class A's are good for the 100k-150k mileage range. I like the floor plans of the 5rs and I've always been a pickup man so it would be extra hard to convert to flat tow. Right now I'm looking at a F-450. This will give extra space for the puppies and children (plus 8ft box for my stuff). One of the better features to the diesel is basement storage. Good luck!
There is so much to consider, but we're tired of trying to park the truck in small towns-or restaurants even! When we go to Walmart, we park as far as we can, no one is around us, only to have 2-3 cars slammed against us! The truck is like a magnet! One time a guy pulled next to me, I was alone,
So I said, "I parked out here so no one would park next to me." He said, me too!" Oh well...
Old 01-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
I went right from towing a FR - Rockwood with a Ram 1500 to a Berkshire. I love the torque of the DP, the fuel mileage, the maintenance intervals, the engine brake, the basement storage and the sturdiness of a Class A. Another plus IMO for the DP is the Allison 3000 transmission: it handles the power and the torque of the Cummins 360 with apparent ease. The engine/tranmission combined with the air brakes makes towing a breeze. The hydraulic leveling jacks makes set-up pretty much painless. I especially like the Berkshire's wet bay layout. About the only thing I wish I had is a power shore power cord reel.

Good info! Thanks!
Debbie
Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsonv View Post
The Ford V10 has the Tow Haul feature-I use that going up hill and down hill. The 30 valve engine has a great torque rating. It's slower going up hill but I'm not in a hurry. You can tap the brakes going down hill and get engine braking. Ford has a 7500 mile oil change interval. There are arguements for both engines. My wife's parents went cross country several times in a National gasser with no issues. I bought the gasser. There are a lot of gas units that have many of the amenities of a diesel.

We do love the tow haul feature in our Ford truck. But we hate parking it when we visit little towns, restaurants, etc.
Debbie