Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

What I saw today

We stopped for lunch at a Waffle House today, in their parking lot was a new looking Four Winds 31 foot class C. We sat down near the people who were driving the motor home and struck up a conversation, turns out they had rented this unit and were driving from Oklahoma to Michigan for a family reunion. There were eight of them four large adults and four children. It was when we were leaving the restaurant that I noticed this coach was on a Ford E350 chassis. I just hope they packed light and weren't carrying water. Talk about overloaded.
tlf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Anacortesians

If any of them were riding in the back, the rear axle would be overloaded. We looked at a Forester 31' Class C (an '05) on an E450 chassis. The rear overhang was close to 50% of the total length. We took it for a test drive and I stopped at a scale. With the two of us and the salesman on board, half a tank of gas, no "stuff" and no water or waste, the back axle was within 92% of its limit load.

Scary, and nearly all the '04 and later models were like that. It was the main reason we went for a Class A on the F53 chassis.