Old 06-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #1

Wheels - 19.5” vs. 22”

Occasionally I read that 22” wheels on a class A motorhome are superior to 19.5” wheels.

I have driven class C with 16” wheels and class A with 22” wheels

What are the pro and cons of 19.5” vs. 22” on a class A?

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

Think when you go up to the 22 tire the chassis are completely different. And you will see lots more storage bigger doors . And I’m sure a bigger price to replace

retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired on a mountain View Post
Think when you go up to the 22 tire the chassis are completely different. And you will see lots more storage bigger doors . And I’m sure a bigger price to replace
The additional storage is not critical for me. I prefer a more substantial chassis bigger brakes and improved ride. But I still have to drive one with the 19.5 wheels.

Hopefully people that have driven both kinds will comment.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #4

Do you mean 19.5 versus 22 or 19.5 versus 22.5.

The " point five" doesn't mean 1/2 inch bigger wheel it merely denotes that the bead angle is 15 degrees versus that of a standard tubeless rim which is square to the C/L of the wheel.

These tires are easier to break the bead loose when changing tires but can also be easier to break loose when hitting a curb or big pothole. Also can let the tire come free of the rim when running under inflated.

Wheel Sizes are usually determined by the chassis manufacturer and changing to a larger or smaller size can create all sorts of unintended consequences.

If selecting a new vehicle in that size category I personally would prefer the larger 22.5 wheels. Larger diameters mean longer tire contact patch and they roll over expansion seams and bridge joints much smoother. The larger tires also turn slower and generate less heat for the same load. Yes, they are more expensive but at the price point of vehicles using them, it's really a minor issue. When you get over a quarter million in price, what's a few hundred bucks extra

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #5

Interesting information.

Your last paragraph answered most of my question. I am guessing that road manners and braking are superior with the larger tires and wheels.

We saw a Coachmen Mirada that had a layout that fit our current criteria. It had the 19.5” wheels. I didn’t have time to drive it. 99% of my experience is with class C motorhomes on 16” wheels, both small 24’ long vehicles.

I am also going to surmise that the 19.5” wheel results in a better ride over the 16” if all things are equal. But the longer and heavier Mirada may offset the larger tire size improvement. Time for a test drive.

Our REV rides well and the handling is excellent. Perfect for how I currently use it but not for trips with wife and dog and the bathroom is not air conditioned. I don’t want to give it up but we need a bath and a half, permanent bed and more creature room.

Tags
wheel