Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #1

when to sell?

is there a general thought or rule of when to sell do to Milage? as with cars it seam to be under 50k get top dollar and under 100K for someone to be able to Fiancee. i know when was looking for used i saw a lot of 4-8k miles on 3-5 yr old coaches. ours is a little over a year old and we almost 9k miles on it and 300 hours on the genset. so the question is is there a point that dealers and buyers start saying that to high and consider it a deterrent?
Old 01-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #2

The 3/4/5 year old rigs you see with 3-5000 miles on em were probably purchased by those who, for whatever reason, found they either didn't like the rv lifestyle, bought too big or small, medical reasons, ect, so they just sat after being used for 1 or 2 trips. Maybe used for a single yearly vacation for a few years.
The rigs you see that have lots of miles are the ones that the owners use on a regular basis, bought for the long term, with the idea of keeping that rig for a long term.
Either way, rv's loose value faster than a piece of used poop paper. The day you drive it off the dealers lot it will probably loose 1/4 to 1/3 of its value.
Forgetting about "loan" value, personally, I would rather look at a rig that is a few years old, with appropriate miles on it, that had been taken care of, well maintained, then one that has been sitting most of the time.
As for when to get rid of it, that is only in the eyes of the owner. If you bought a rig that fits your needs, then why get rid of it. If on the other hand, you made a booboo and bought on impulse, and bought too small/too big/trailer instead of motorhome, ect, then no matter, even if new, your going to take a big dump.
Selling it privately is your best bet to get more for it rather than a trade in.
RV's are not something to invest in, and those of us who have been in it awhile know and accept this.
If your happy with your rig, don't worry about putting miles on it or hours on the genny. You bought it to have fun, not to worry about re-sale.
If your worried about re-sale, than unfortunately you got into the wrong "lifestyle".
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

What Grumpy said exactly.

Use it or lose it.

Either way.....it never makes money....just a chance for memories.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Broken Toe

It's simple.

Trade in and get new every year, or keep it till the wheels fall off.

Anything else, and you are losing money.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #5

a little over 4 years and 90,000miles... I didn't buy my coach to 'sell' it, and I'm not going to 'just because' of miles... unless someone with a Newmar KingAir in the 2015 or better age want to 'trade', even Steven!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote