Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #1

Why don't we have a motorhome like this in USA?

https://www.avidarv.com.au/motorhomes/longreach

I am familiar with the Isuzu cab forward truck chassis vehicles and they are a pleasure to drive with great reliability. Does anyone know if anyone is making these state side? I love the looks of this set up. My only question is how would you service the engine compartment if you can't tilt the cab?
flycer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #2

Why would you want a RV with the door opening into traffic?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #3

Why don't we have a motorhome like this in USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post

Since this is Australian link, it would not be into traffic in Australia.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #4

LOL! - I would hope that if they were built in US they would use the US version of the vehicle (left side drive) and all of that would be reversed. Looks like the hookups are on the wrong side for us as well. Just wondering why I don't see any motorhomes built here on this widely used, popular chassis.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #5

Either move the door or flip the picture!!! This rig could make border barriers obsolete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATRV.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	185310   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATRVa.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	185311  
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Either move the door or flip the picture!!! This rig could make border barriers obsolete.
I saw one of these beasts while I was at the north rim of the Grand Canyon in May. We were actually outside the park and he was cruising around looking for a place to Boondock!
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #7

Quote:
This is Ausi built, and the driving orientation is opposite to ours. My guess is that it is built as good as it looks. Probably what the OP had in mind.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
This is Ausi built, and the driving orientation is opposite to ours. My guess is that it is built as good as it looks. Probably what the OP had in mind.
Yup.

And they have other brands and models down there based on different chassis’s and with interesting design features.

Some are not suitable for colder climates.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycer61 View Post

I am familiar with the Isuzu cab forward truck chassis vehicles and they are a pleasure to drive with great reliability. Does anyone know if anyone is making these state side? I love the looks of this set up. My only question is how would you service the engine compartment if you can't tilt the cab?
The warranty would kill our RV market
patmike67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #10

It's a Class C, isn't it?

Quote:
It's a Class C, isn't it? Doors on both sides.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #11

When are the manufacturers going to change (or at least options) of lighter/white cabinets. Look at all the remodels and almost all have lightened the interior with curtains, cabinets and wall colors.
Numnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #12
jkoenig24

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freightliner_Argosy

Freightliner stopped building the Argosy for the U.S. market a few years ago but, used Argosy COEs (Cab Over Engine) models are available. RV trailers could be longer than the usual limit of ~ 45' if an Argosy was used as the tow vehicle and, with the smallest engine being a 450HP Cummins, an Argosy would have NO trouble pulling even the largest RV trailers. I know one RVer who is VERY happy happy with his Argosy.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #13

HEY !!! Isn't that one of the rigs that Ronald Reagan wanted our military to use as a portable launching station for our nukes? It was a part of the "Star Wars" defense system. Non trackable because of the portability of the system. Kinda like what China, Russia and N. Korea have now?
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:

Simple, the engine gets serviced from inside your coach like any front engine class A with a doghouse when the cab don't tilt. Just hope nobody runs into the sheet metal at the front of the cab and crushes everyone to death sitting there.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
It's a Class C, isn't it? Doors on both sides.

Larry
In Australia, the left side would be curb side. Steering column in on the right.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:35 PM   #16
Bene Gesserit Rule

That's really funny because most Aussies say the same about American RV's, why can't we get them here, and at somewhere near the same price? When we were looking for an RV, after travelling a few thousand km's (in Australia) checking out various new and used MH's and 5'ers, the Longreach finished up as our MH of choice, it's a nice machine and roomy BUT it has no slide outs and it ain't cheap. We eventually settled on a FR Wildwood Heritage Glen 28RLT. It's big, comfy, cool in summer but freezing in winter. After 3 years of traveling in it, off-n-on, now we want to sell it. We are sick of the repairs we have to do. The latest is the back wall is coming away from the sides.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #17

The Longreach shown on the website has 2 slide-outs so maybe you were looking at a different model. I have a Merecedes Sprinter based motorhome and I am not too thrilled with all of the repairs it needs along with the low weight capacity. Things I didn't realize until owning it.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #18

The USA did have a similar coach called the Trek. They were built until 2009 when Monaco took them to bankruptcy. I had a friend who had one. It was very well built and dependable.

Trek Brochures – Northwest Trek Fun Club
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #19
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
The Longreach shown on the website has 2 slide-outs so maybe you were looking at a different model. I have a Merecedes Sprinter based motorhome and I am not too thrilled with all of the repairs it needs along with the low weight capacity. Things I didn't realize until owning it.
You are right, of course, It was a few years ago that we were on the hunt and I had forgotten. The dealer we bought our 5th wheel from (we discovered later) was a screwed and dirty player.

When our first problem happened, in the first month of ownership (fresh water tank exploded while filling) I rang the importer/dealer for help. He simply said I couldn't touch him, wouldn't get a cent from him, chuckled and hung up the phone. Every issue we have had has been expensive. Fresh water tank ($4000 repairs and replacement), wheel exploded (after about 6,000 km) because they were underrated for the weight of vehicle ($2500 for new rims and tyres and wiring repairs), new undercarriage spring set because they had flattened and were straining the hangers ($4000 for a replacement set of springs and new hangers and mounts - which was a cheap deal), again due to being made to carry less weight, charger/converter failed in the 2nd year ($400 replacement), new kitchen island tap set because the original leaked and no replacement parts available here ($150), wardrobe door fell apart (I fixed that one), now the rear wall is falling off, yet to get the quote for that but am expecting a few thousand for the fix. It just keeps going.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
The USA did have a similar coach called the Trek. They were built until 2009 when Monaco took them to bankruptcy. I had a friend who had one. It was very well built and dependable.

Trek Brochures – Northwest Trek Fun Club
We purchased a 1977 Trek 22' Class C at the Chicago RV show. It was built to our modification specs for $11,500. We added an extra dining table at the rear couch and had an overhead cabinet face modified to fold down as a bunk. We owned it for 13 years, took it on frequent boon docking trips, for an education trip in Florida, several conferences, and lived in it for over 6 months while building a home. Routine maintenance, one brake caliper, and one trailer hitch was all that was needed in all those years.

The caliper seized on the top of Lookout Mountain and the hitch broke off on the interstate, so a couple of thrills to recall. The factory installed hitch was welded to the unit body chassis and we towed an 18' aluminum cabin cruiser. But no roof leaks, no window leaks, no soft/spongy floors and no appliance failures. And, it was stored outdoors in harsh northern Illinois winters. DW and I have said many times that if this camper were available today, we would have bought it in a heartbeat. No slides, but a roomy layout for four. It was a sad day when we sold it before our move to Florida, But we nearly got back what we paid for it. It is probably still on the road today.

Tags
motorhome