Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2018, 05:06 PM   #1

Windjammer: Audio listening with USB?

In our 2102w we have a standard stereo system with various inputs beyond the AM/FM/AUX, etc. I have a thumb drive and dumped some song folders onto it to test out the USB functionality.

Once you plug in the drive it begins to auto-play. However there doesn't appear to be a way to control what is playing beyond FF/RW/STOP, skip and such. It only displays the # that the song is in order with no way to search or shuffle.

Is there a guide somewhere for USB use with these units?

Thanks in advance. We have well over 1k songs I plan to dump on the drive and would like to think I won't be stuck listening to them in a specific order.
Fogtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #2

Well I found the manual, but it may be that you can only really control what is playing (beyond scrolling through) if you have the TV on. Which does not happen unless you are connected to city electric. We have solar but it does not power stuff like the TV, microwave, etc.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #3

I have been disappointed with radios that play from USB... clunky navigation and laggy load times.

If you have Bluetooth or an audio in port (headphone jack) then look around for a used iPod Touch. Since the older iPod touches are 32 bit, they are not really supported by the App Store but they make pretty great audio players. I use CopyTrans Control to sync music onto my Touch.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask View Post
I have been disappointed with radios that play from USB... clunky navigation and laggy load times.

If you have Bluetooth or an audio in port (headphone jack) then look around for a used iPod Touch. Since the older iPod touches are 32 bit, they are not really supported by the App Store but they make pretty great audio players. I use CopyTrans Control to sync music onto my Touch.
That's a good idea. I actually have an old ipod mini. I wonder if rather than the aux input if I could use the ipod USB plug to play through that port.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #5

That is something I never considered. I looked at some stuff on the web and it should work if radio is compatible. Please let me know if it works for you 8)

Another option showed up in some articles that I read... there are FM transmitters that plug into a 12v socket and attach to iPod. You could then receive the music on the radio.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask View Post
That is something I never considered. I looked at some stuff on the web and it should work if radio is compatible. Please let me know if it works for you 8)

Another option showed up in some articles that I read... there are FM transmitters that plug into a 12v socket and attach to iPod. You could then receive the music on the radio.
In prehistoric days I had a transmitter like that. In theory it was awesome. Practice? Not so much. Cut out a lot.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
In prehistoric days I had a transmitter like that. In theory it was awesome. Practice? Not so much. Cut out a lot.

LOL... my daughter uses one of those gadgets that plugs into her iPod and slides into cassette player in her 2000 Subaru Impreza.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
That's a good idea. I actually have an old ipod mini. I wonder if rather than the aux input if I could use the ipod USB plug to play through that port.
IPod report:
Well the USB port remains less than useless for anything other than charging. When the IPod is plugged into it, it immediately goes to the "connected" screen as it does in my vehicles. Which is to say it cannot be used to control what is playing. The radio thinks it is just another USB stick and while it "loads" the device and shows a song, it refuses to actually play it. Hitting the play/pause button on the radio shows it is pausing but when you hit it to play it just sits there silent.

I am pretty much disgusted with the receiver overall and is only good for listening to the radio when it is able to pull in stations. HORRIBLY designed piece of electronics. May end up getting a headphone jack to AUX1 cable so I can regain control with the IPod.

Tags
windjammer