Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Winter camping?

We purchased our first MH, a '15 Berkshire 38RB, last fall after enjoying two 5th wheels for many years. Because we had underbelly heat, we camped year-round in the 5ers. With the Berkshire, I don't see a viable method of keeping the water lines from freezing in either the compartment with the fresh water connections and sewer connection, or in the other side where the fresh water tank and winterizing spigot is located.
I'm hopeful that I'm making a newbie mistake and the MH is actually capable of keeping fresh water lines from freezing while its in use. Thoughts and advice appreciated.
Ben
81redbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #2

I am planning to put in some rigid foam insulation with soft weather stripping on the bottom of both sides of my water compartment and put aluminum foil, heat tape and round pipe insulation on the water hose. I planning to dump sewer / grey water as needed.

I stayed in Steamboat and Vail in December and had no problems with freezing plumbing inside the coach with 1 space heater in the compartment opposite from water manifold. I had my pump freeze once, so I just repointed the space heater to blow towards the pump and it never happened again.

I purchased 2 X 200 Watt space heaters in Target and will use them instead of one I used in the December, as 1 X 1500 Watt at the lowest setting was heating up my water compartment to 80+ degrees.

I did have an issue with water manifold freezing while driving in single digit temps, but I latter discovered that I had small outlet (for drinking water hose) opened. So I will put the insulation on the floor here and permanently mount that small space heater.

Taking a trip to Aspen later this month so I can update how these small mods will pan out.

Alex
Old 03-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #3

I don't have anything to add, but congrats on the new unit.

Can you tell me if you have weighed your new 38RB? My family and I are looking at the same model and concerned about the weight and the ability to tow a jeep too.
BPM80CO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter