Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 02:04 AM   #1

Wondering if safe to use the tow haul switch,when driving on the mountains without tow

2005 sunseeker 29le
capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:52 AM   #2

Just to clarify: You are asking if it's okay to use tow mode in the mountains without a tow vehicle, right? To get more power running up the hills right. Since it basically just changes your shift patterns and helps by engaging the engine break mode I certainly don't see why not... other than it will undoubtedly affect your mileage.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

Yes Yarome, the only reason I ask is because when I was breaking going down, my whole front end of the motorhome starts shaking.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #4

Even downshifting manually? (engine brake)

I was just asking because if you were, then there could be something else going on.. like poor alignment. If you weren't and just using the pedal brake then that is pretty common. Try downshifting manually, or engage the tow mode.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #5

It's an automatic transmission, 6.0 v8 vortec engine. And it has a tow haul switch. It does this only when breaking hard down the mountains, I realize this is no good, but I had to due to wild animals
Old 08-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

I knew it was an automatic, but you also should have a 3rd 2nd and 1st gear you can engage while driving to limit your engine to a lower gear.. or engine brake. It helps to cut down on the amount of pedal brake you need to apply. That's basically what your tow mode switch does for you automatically when you are going downhill. I don't know how far tow mode will downshift you though. Never tried it, but you can always do it manually.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #7

Sounds like your rotors may be warped. Had it happen to my pickup in the early spring. Every time I would go to break the front of my pickup would shake. Put new brakes and rotors and the shaking stopped.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #8

Whenever you start the MH engage Tow/Haul! it was designed for heavy loads....and a class C is a heavy load 100% of the time. when they build these things for use in RV/bus applications I wish the chassis manuf would program the Tow/Haul to always be on.

And Yes, get those brakes fixed! sounds like you`ve been riding the brakes coming down the hills/mountains! use TH or downshift and let the trans do the braking! (TH will automatically downshift the trans when the brakes are touched).

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Sounds like your rotors may be warped. Had it happen to my pickup in the early spring. Every time I would go to break the front of my pickup would shake. Put new brakes and rotors and the shaking stopped.
Glazed brake pads?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Glazed brake pads?
More than likely. Warped rotors he would feel at lower speeds on flat roads. Downhill in a class C without downshifting at regular highway speeds... oh yeah.. there's ya some hot feets.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
More than likely. Warped rotors he would feel at lower speeds on flat roads. Downhill in a class C without downshifting at regular highway speeds... oh yeah.. there's ya some hot feets.
Yes, a light down pressure on the pedal will make them pads looks like a mirror.

Tags
mount