Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The only way to get a true payload or useful load or whatever you want to call it is to put the truck on a scale with a full tank of fuel. Subtract that number from the published maximum vehicle weight and you'll have the real world number for what you can carry.

I'm sure it will be a lot different than the "max cargo" number on the door sticker. i.e., Ram publishes a payload figure of 1,780 pounds for my truck, a number to be ignored. It publishes a max vehicle weight of 6,900 pounds which is a real number. I took the truck to the scales, full fuel, me and the stuff I always carry (DeeZee toolbox with stuff in the bed) and the WD hitch shank and ball. The ACTUAL weight is 5,500 pounds, so I have a true load capacity of 1,400 pounds. Well within limits for what I tow and haul around.
X2 .... the "max cargo" number on the door IS the cargo your specific vehicle can carry, but "cargo" includes everything that is added to the vehicles weight ... passengers, fuel, luggage, TW, hitch, etc. Each vehicle's "max cargo" is the GVWR less the actual weight of the vehicle ... each vehicle has different options so that is considered in the vehicle's "max cargo" ... sunroof, power windows, optional OEM wheels/tires, etc.
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), CVO Rear, Chain Drive 116rwhp/127rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
X2 .... the "max cargo" number on the door IS the cargo your specific vehicle can carry, but "cargo" includes everything that is added to the vehicles weight ... passengers, fuel, luggage, TW, hitch, etc. Each vehicle's "max cargo" is the GVWR less the actual weight of the vehicle ... each vehicle has different options so that is considered in the vehicle's "max cargo" ... sunroof, power windows, optional OEM wheels/tires, etc.
I think we are both saying the same thing. We keep seeing posts that tell us to look at the door sticker to determine the payload of a particular truck which is a false statement. I haven't walked from truck to truck on a dealer lot (which I will do the next time I'm there, just out of curiosity) to see ef every truck of a particular model has the same sticker. However, Ram publishes a "generic" chart showing weights, capacities, etc., of their models.

Look at the above chart and you'll see, i.e., a 1500 Quad Cab with the 8-speed transmission and 3.92 gear has a payload of 1,780 pounds. I don't know at what point in the assembly process that weight is determined but I do know that every single Quad Cab 3.92 is not going to have the exact same weight. It probably could vary by as much as 2-300 pounds based on what option configuration is installed. That's why I say the published payload number is a fantasy number. It's exactly the same as looking at the "max payload" sticker on your RV. It doesn't mean anything and must be determined by weighing your individual unit.

One can only determine the payload of THEIR truck by taking it to a scale. If you're looking for the maximum tongue weight, or max pin weight, for your truck you need the actual base weight and need to understand how you determined that weight. Ideally you would have a full tank of gas, yourself and passengers, luggage, etc etc, loaded because that's how your configuration will probably be when you get ready to hook up your RV.

Brian...based on this post are we talking about the same final number?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #23

Quote:
I think we are both saying the same thing. We keep seeing posts that tell us to look at the door sticker to determine the payload of a particular truck which is a false statement. I haven't walked from truck to truck on a dealer lot (which I will do the next time I'm there, just out of curiosity) to see ef every truck of a particular model has the same sticker. However, Ram publishes a "generic" chart showing weights, capacities, etc., of their models.

Look at the above chart and you'll see, i.e., a 1500 Quad Cab with the 8-speed transmission and 3.92 gear has a payload of 1,780 pounds. I don't know at what point in the assembly process that weight is determined but I do know that every single Quad Cab 3.92 is not going to have the exact same weight. It probably could vary by as much as 2-300 pounds based on what option configuration is installed. That's why I say the published payload number is a fantasy number. It's exactly the same as looking at the "max payload" sticker on your RV. It doesn't mean anything and must be determined by weighing your individual unit.

One can only determine the payload of THEIR truck by taking it to a scale. If you're looking for the maximum tongue weight, or max pin weight, for your truck you need the actual base weight and need to understand how you determined that weight. Ideally you would have a full tank of gas, yourself and passengers, luggage, etc etc, loaded because that's how your configuration will probably be when you get ready to hook up your RV.

Brian...based on this post are we talking about the same final number?
Actually, we are not saying the same thing. The payload you are getting from that chart is generic and not the payload of a specific truck. Options play a role in the actual payload of a specific truck. Your chart above is without options ... add the weight of a sunroof, power windows, leather vs. cloth, console vs. bench seat, etc. For the payload of a specific truck you need to view the door sticker also known as "red tag".

As an example, my 2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax has a GVWR of 10,000# with a "combined weight of occupants and cargo never to exceed" 2,420# The last time I weighed the truck at a CAT scale, it came in at 7,500# ... pretty darn close. It doesn't matter what a payload chart says, the legal weight above the OEM weight of your truck is that as stated on the "red sticker" in your door jamb.

As a comparison, my last truck was a 2013 F250 Powerstroke with a GVWR of 10,000#, but it had a "combined weight of occupants and cargo never to exceed" 2,040# ("red tag") ... both 3/4-ton trucks. The F250 was a crew cab with a sunroof. My current truck is a Double Cab (extended cab) with no sunroof. Think about our current trailer with a TW of close to 1,700#. With the F250, that leaves only 340# for occupants and cargo after hooking up the trailer. The F250 would not have legally towed my current hauler.
This is why a base model regular cab 2WD truck has more cargo weight capacity than a loaded crew cab 4WD and can handle more TW and cargo.

OP, just beacuse a brochure says a trailer is 1/2-ton towable, it not necessarily is 1/2-ton towable and I would bet, more times than not it isn't. Also, just because a truck's specifications say it can conventional-tow 12,000#, there are several more specs to be looking at to tow legal.
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), CVO Rear, Chain Drive 116rwhp/127rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #24

It is correct that actual payload depends on the base weight plus all optional equipment and that this chart couldn't include options, BrianSF-GA is correct. The charts could reflect the correct GVWR, axle weights, and GCWR, it did for my Ram 2500. Did you notice, that if you load the truck to GVWR, the one that emm-dee used as an example, and are to stay below GCWR, the max trailer weight will be 9,050#, not the full 10,360#. Again, options will reduce that 9050# even more. The sticker in the door jam, is the actual maximum cargo capacity for the truck. But, it is true that a scale is the only way to prove you are not above GVWR when fully loaded. Now, my experience with a half-ton pulling even below its max is that it might do it, but it might not be fun and it isn't for me.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #25

I'm waiting for my neighbor to decide to sell his truck...a Freightliner Sportchasis with the super big engine (not sure, but something like 1,600 pounds torque). Then I'd never have to worry about weight.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #26

Those "Tire and Loading" stickers are really only lawsuit protection for the manufacturers. They are the result of the Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle. Ford even has a list showing how they calculate the listed weights based on options of each truck. They don't really weigh them and then subtract that from the GVWR which would be accurate.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm waiting for my neighbor to decide to sell his truck...a Freightliner Sportchasis with the super big engine (not sure, but something like 1,600 pounds torque). Then I'd never have to worry about weight.
Better take it to the scales.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
Actually, we are not saying the same thing. The payload you are getting from that chart is generic and not the payload of a specific truck. Options play a role in the actual payload of a specific truck. Your chart above is without options ... add the weight of a sunroof, power windows, leather vs. cloth, console vs. bench seat, etc. For the payload of a specific truck you need to view the door sticker also known as "red tag".

As an example, my 2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax has a GVWR of 10,000# with a "combined weight of occupants and cargo never to exceed" 2,420# The last time I weighed the truck at a CAT scale, it came in at 7,500# ... pretty darn close. It doesn't matter what a payload chart says, the legal weight above the OEM weight of your truck is that as stated on the "red sticker" in your door jamb.

As a comparison, my last truck was a 2013 F250 Powerstroke with a GVWR of 10,000#, but it had a "combined weight of occupants and cargo never to exceed" 2,040# ("red tag") ... both 3/4-ton trucks. The F250 was a crew cab with a sunroof. My current truck is a Double Cab (extended cab) with no sunroof. Think about our current trailer with a TW of close to 1,700#. With the F250, that leaves only 340# for occupants and cargo after hooking up the trailer. The F250 would not have legally towed my current hauler.
This is why a base model regular cab 2WD truck has more cargo weight capacity than a loaded crew cab 4WD and can handle more TW and cargo.

OP, just beacuse a brochure says a trailer is 1/2-ton towable, it not necessarily is 1/2-ton towable and I would bet, more times than not it isn't. Also, just because a truck's specifications say it can conventional-tow 12,000#, there are several more specs to be looking at to tow legal.

Mines, 2445... So they must not all be the same sticker. 2015 diesel.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #29
Site Team

The yellow stickers are not all the same. Mine was unreadable. I asked dealer to order new one. It is VIN / option dependent. Bottom line lots of people splitting hairs on capacity. If you are that close, you will not enjoy towing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
............ It is VIN / option dependent. Bottom line lots of people splitting hairs on capacity. If you are that close, you will not enjoy towing.

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #31

Many call us "tow police"??
Old 02-15-2016, 11:03 PM   #32

The stickers are much like the dry weight stickers on RVs. They don't include anything the dealer or owner has added to the truck. Bed liner, cap, bed cover, tools, fancy aftermarket wheels and tires, jumper cables, etc ... All add up and are not depicted on the lawsuit sticker.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2016, 11:30 PM   #33

lawsuit sticker?? Please.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:38 PM   #34
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Honestly... It is prob not to far off... The ones who claim they know better than the truck's engineers would be the first to sue when the rear axle of their truck breaks in half!! and the maker says they will not make the repairs under warranty.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:55 PM   #35

"rear axle breaks in half" Let's enjoy camping not scare the hell out of them to not go.Use a little common sense.Little trailer little bigger TV and so on.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
I would like you to show me one that existed before the Explorer and Firestone mess. That sticker is exactly the same as the Coffee is hot warning. Lawyers made it happen to defend the company.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #37

Quote:
That should do it but wait till you have to pay for maintenance; BIL has one (a Sportchassis) it takes 28 quarts of oil about every 10,000 miles. It has 300HP and 860lb/ft of torque and that is with the optional Caterpillar engine. Its for sale... $55,000 in one EASY payment. What surprised me was when he sits 4000# of pin weight on it, it dropped the truck 1 inch, but the automatic air leveling corrects that. Pulling 18,000# it gets 10.5mpg or better.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
That should do it but wait till you have to pay for maintenance; BIL has one (a Sportchassis) it takes 28 quarts of oil about every 10,000 miles. It has 300HP and 860lb/ft of torque and that is with the optional Caterpillar engine. Its for sale... $55,000 in one EASY payment. What surprised me was when he sits 4000# of pin weight on it, it dropped the truck 1 inch, but the automatic air leveling corrects that. Pulling 18,000# it gets 10.5mpg or better.
WW
I think people who pay north of $150,000 for a personal truck don't worry about maintenance costs. My friend takes his to Freightliner once a year and has them do all the needed stuff. Says the bill runs about $1,000.

His truck has the Detroit engine with 1675 lbs.torque and is amazing at pulling. Rode with him up Monteagle pass in Tennessee and the truck, with cruise on, never shifted gears pulling 20,000 pounds of loaded horse trailer at 60 mph.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #39
Canadian Member

To the OP, may I suggest riding those Harleys rather than hauling them!!

Seriously, if you want to camp with your motorcycles, you can buy a relatively light tent trailer to pull behind a full size bike like a Dresser. I used to camp in a pup tent with my wife when we toured around on our GoldWing (pulled a pup cargo trailer behind the Wing with all our camping gear in it) but I don't sleep on the ground anymore!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
To the OP, may I suggest riding those Harleys rather than hauling them!!

Seriously, if you want to camp with your motorcycles, you can buy a relatively light tent trailer to pull behind a full size bike like a Dresser. I used to camp in a pup tent with my wife when we toured around on our GoldWing (pulled a pup cargo trailer behind the Wing with all our camping gear in it) but I don't sleep on the ground anymore!
Been there...done that. In over 55 continuous years of riding I've hit every state in the USA, through Canada to Alaska, down the Baja twice and through Central America to Panama. I've ridden in the alps of France, Italy and Switzerland and even rented a Honda to ride the streets of Hong Kong (just to say I did it...never again). Got all the t-shirts. Have maintenance records to show over one million miles ridden.

Now, I refuse to ride on Interstates or four lane roads unless I'm in a group. Even the times when I do day rides in the Georgia/North Carolina mountains I throw the Harley in an enclosed trailer to take it 75 or so miles to the starting points. I meet up with lots of friends at various events (Daytona, Panama City, Nascar tracks) but no way will I ever ride a motorcycle to those places.

The toy hauler is the best thing ever made for us old timers. Easy loading and a really comfortable place to stay when I get to wherever. I cannot see me ever again spending a night in a tent.

(And, it's hard to scrape a floorboard riding the Tennessee Snake if a trailer is hanging onto the Harley). Gotta agree with the OP.