Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
The only way to get a true payload or useful load or whatever you want to call it is to put the truck on a scale with a full tank of fuel. Subtract that number from the published maximum vehicle weight and you'll have the real world number for what you can carry.

I'm sure it will be a lot different than the "max cargo" number on the door sticker. i.e., Ram publishes a payload figure of 1,780 pounds for my truck, a number to be ignored. It publishes a max vehicle weight of 6,900 pounds which is a real number. I took the truck to the scales, full fuel, me and the stuff I always carry (DeeZee toolbox with stuff in the bed) and the WD hitch shank and ball. The ACTUAL weight is 5,500 pounds, so I have a true load capacity of 1,400 pounds. Well within limits for what I tow and haul around.
X2 .... the "max cargo" number on the door IS the cargo your specific vehicle can carry, but "cargo" includes everything that is added to the vehicles weight ... passengers, fuel, luggage, TW, hitch, etc. Each vehicle's "max cargo" is the GVWR less the actual weight of the vehicle ... each vehicle has different options so that is considered in the vehicle's "max cargo" ... sunroof, power windows, optional OEM wheels/tires, etc.

Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), 115rwhp/124rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #22
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
X2 .... the "max cargo" number on the door IS the cargo your specific vehicle can carry, but "cargo" includes everything that is added to the vehicles weight ... passengers, fuel, luggage, TW, hitch, etc. Each vehicle's "max cargo" is the GVWR less the actual weight of the vehicle ... each vehicle has different options so that is considered in the vehicle's "max cargo" ... sunroof, power windows, optional OEM wheels/tires, etc.
I think we are both saying the same thing. We keep seeing posts that tell us to look at the door sticker to determine the payload of a particular truck which is a false statement. I haven't walked from truck to truck on a dealer lot (which I will do the next time I'm there, just out of curiosity) to see ef every truck of a particular model has the same sticker. However, Ram publishes a "generic" chart showing weights, capacities, etc., of their models.

Look at the above chart and you'll see, i.e., a 1500 Quad Cab with the 8-speed transmission and 3.92 gear has a payload of 1,780 pounds. I don't know at what point in the assembly process that weight is determined but I do know that every single Quad Cab 3.92 is not going to have the exact same weight. It probably could vary by as much as 2-300 pounds based on what option configuration is installed. That's why I say the published payload number is a fantasy number. It's exactly the same as looking at the "max payload" sticker on your RV. It doesn't mean anything and must be determined by weighing your individual unit.

One can only determine the payload of THEIR truck by taking it to a scale. If you're looking for the maximum tongue weight, or max pin weight, for your truck you need the actual base weight and need to understand how you determined that weight. Ideally you would have a full tank of gas, yourself and passengers, luggage, etc etc, loaded because that's how your configuration will probably be when you get ready to hook up your RV.

Brian...based on this post are we talking about the same final number?

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #23

Quote:
I think we are both saying the same thing. We keep seeing posts that tell us to look at the door sticker to determine the payload of a particular truck which is a false statement. I haven't walked from truck to truck on a dealer lot (which I will do the next time I'm there, just out of curiosity) to see ef every truck of a particular model has the same sticker. However, Ram publishes a "generic" chart showing weights, capacities, etc., of their models.

Look at the above chart and you'll see, i.e., a 1500 Quad Cab with the 8-speed transmission and 3.92 gear has a payload of 1,780 pounds. I don't know at what point in the assembly process that weight is determined but I do know that every single Quad Cab 3.92 is not going to have the exact same weight. It probably could vary by as much as 2-300 pounds based on what option configuration is installed. That's why I say the published payload number is a fantasy number. It's exactly the same as looking at the "max payload" sticker on your RV. It doesn't mean anything and must be determined by weighing your individual unit.

One can only determine the payload of THEIR truck by taking it to a scale. If you're looking for the maximum tongue weight, or max pin weight, for your truck you need the actual base weight and need to understand how you determined that weight. Ideally you would have a full tank of gas, yourself and passengers, luggage, etc etc, loaded because that's how your configuration will probably be when you get ready to hook up your RV.

Brian...based on this post are we talking about the same final number?
Actually, we are not saying the same thing. The payload you are getting from that chart is generic and not the payload of a specific truck. Options play a role in the actual payload of a specific truck. Your chart above is without options ... add the weight of a sunroof, power windows, leather vs. cloth, console vs. bench seat, etc. For the payload of a specific truck you need to view the door sticker also known as "red tag".

As an example, my 2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax has a GVWR of 10,000# with a "combined weight of occupants and cargo never to exceed" 2,420# The last time I weighed the truck at a CAT scale, it came in at 7,500# ... pretty darn close. It doesn't matter what a payload chart says, the legal weight above the OEM weight of your truck is that as stated on the "red sticker" in your door jamb.

As a comparison, my last truck was a 2013 F250 Powerstroke with a GVWR of 10,000#, but it had a "combined weight of occupants and cargo never to exceed" 2,040# ("red tag") ... both 3/4-ton trucks. The F250 was a crew cab with a sunroof. My current truck is a Double Cab (extended cab) with no sunroof. Think about our current trailer with a TW of close to 1,700#. With the F250, that leaves only 340# for occupants and cargo after hooking up the trailer. The F250 would not have legally towed my current hauler.
This is why a base model regular cab 2WD truck has more cargo weight capacity than a loaded crew cab 4WD and can handle more TW and cargo.

OP, just beacuse a brochure says a trailer is 1/2-ton towable, it not necessarily is 1/2-ton towable and I would bet, more times than not it isn't. Also, just because a truck's specifications say it can conventional-tow 12,000#, there are several more specs to be looking at to tow legal.
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), 115rwhp/124rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #24

It is correct that actual payload depends on the base weight plus all optional equipment and that this chart couldn't include options, BrianSF-GA is correct. The charts could reflect the correct GVWR, axle weights, and GCWR, it did for my Ram 2500. Did you notice, that if you load the truck to GVWR, the one that emm-dee used as an example, and are to stay below GCWR, the max trailer weight will be 9,050#, not the full 10,360#. Again, options will reduce that 9050# even more. The sticker in the door jam, is the actual maximum cargo capacity for the truck. But, it is true that a scale is the only way to prove you are not above GVWR when fully loaded. Now, my experience with a half-ton pulling even below its max is that it might do it, but it might not be fun and it isn't for me.
WW
Old 02-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #25
Usually Confused Member

I'm waiting for my neighbor to decide to sell his truck...a Freightliner Sportchasis with the super big engine (not sure, but something like 1,600 pounds torque). Then I'd never have to worry about weight.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #26

Those "Tire and Loading" stickers are really only lawsuit protection for the manufacturers. They are the result of the Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle. Ford even has a list showing how they calculate the listed weights based on options of each truck. They don't really weigh them and then subtract that from the GVWR which would be accurate.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm waiting for my neighbor to decide to sell his truck...a Freightliner Sportchasis with the super big engine (not sure, but something like 1,600 pounds torque). Then I'd never have to worry about weight.
Better take it to the scales.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
Actually, we are not saying the same thing. The payload you are getting from that chart is generic and not the payload of a specific truck. Options play a role in the actual payload of a specific truck. Your chart above is without options ... add the weight of a sunroof, power windows, leather vs. cloth, console vs. bench seat, etc. For the payload of a specific truck you need to view the door sticker also known as "red tag".

As an example, my 2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax has a GVWR of 10,000# with a "combined weight of occupants and cargo never to exceed" 2,420# The last time I weighed the truck at a CAT scale, it came in at 7,500# ... pretty darn close. It doesn't matter what a payload chart says, the legal weight above the OEM weight of your truck is that as stated on the "red sticker" in your door jamb.

As a comparison, my last truck was a 2013 F250 Powerstroke with a GVWR of 10,000#, but it had a "combined weight of occupants and cargo never to exceed" 2,040# ("red tag") ... both 3/4-ton trucks. The F250 was a crew cab with a sunroof. My current truck is a Double Cab (extended cab) with no sunroof. Think about our current trailer with a TW of close to 1,700#. With the F250, that leaves only 340# for occupants and cargo after hooking up the trailer. The F250 would not have legally towed my current hauler.
This is why a base model regular cab 2WD truck has more cargo weight capacity than a loaded crew cab 4WD and can handle more TW and cargo.

OP, just beacuse a brochure says a trailer is 1/2-ton towable, it not necessarily is 1/2-ton towable and I would bet, more times than not it isn't. Also, just because a truck's specifications say it can conventional-tow 12,000#, there are several more specs to be looking at to tow legal.

Mines, 2445... So they must not all be the same sticker. 2015 diesel.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #29
Site Team

The yellow stickers are not all the same. Mine was unreadable. I asked dealer to order new one. It is VIN / option dependent. Bottom line lots of people splitting hairs on capacity. If you are that close, you will not enjoy towing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
............ It is VIN / option dependent. Bottom line lots of people splitting hairs on capacity. If you are that close, you will not enjoy towing.

2015 W&P 25CB/ 2011 F250 6.7L Diesel
2015 HD FLRT/2009 HD XL1200L

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote