Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
mike.t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Norcal
Posts: 2,005
Well sir then you get a ATTABOY!
__________________

__________________
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:12 AM   #42
Site Team
 
asquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,373
Ok guys let's stay away from the lawyer debates..... these have been hashed out quite bit and almost always result in the site team needing to close a thread.
__________________

__________________
<a href=http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg target=_blank>http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg</a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Keystone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Central MN
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Been there...done that. .....................

The toy hauler is the best thing ever made for us old timers. Easy loading and a really comfortable place to stay when I get to wherever. I cannot see me ever again spending a night in a tent.

(And, it's hard to scrape a floorboard riding the Tennessee Snake if a trailer is hanging onto the Harley). Gotta agree with the OP.

Makes two of us! I've made the ride to Sturgis more than enough. Been From the east coast to the Rockies and Canada to the Gulf. Ran all over Germany back in the day to on our Suzuki GS650.

Toyhauler keeps us in the campground where we like to be. And in comfort. Motels have there place too that is when I pull a trailer behind the Trike. But tent camping isn't in the picture anymore. And neither is one of those small pop-up MC trailers. Momma wants a bed that is already made and a bathroom.
__________________

2015 W&P 25CB/ 2011 F250 6.7L Diesel
2015 HD FLRT/2009 HD XL1200L


US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #44
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 40
I used to pull my 2013 16UL, the smallest Work & Play with my 2012 1/2ton Tundra 5.7 with 1460 lbs. of payload. The 16UL is built exactly like the larger W&P's, just shorter (18 ft cab, 22ft overall). It easily holds two full-sized bikes side by side with room to spare.

16UL (factory specs):
UVW: 4775 lbs.
GVWR: 9500 lbs.
Empty tongue weight: 775 lbs.

16UL (realworld loaded, 35 gal of water, gear, and NO toys):
5650 lbs. Yes, 5650 lbs. isn't much tow weight, even for a 1/2-ton, but tongue weight is a whole 'nother story.
Tongue weight was typically 1050 lbs. Even with 1000-1500 lbs. of toys loaded in the rear garage area, the tongue weight still remained above 1000 lbs.

My Tundra was at max payload (CAT scaled) towing the 16UL. This was with nothing particularly heavy in the truck bed, just light gear inside the truck cab and one passenger.

Long story short, got tired of being on the "edge" in terms of payload . . . so, I upgraded to a new 1-ton truck with 3950 lbs. of payload and an OEM 1700 lb. (tongue weight rated) Cat V receiver. Problem solved.
__________________
wp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
BrianSF-GA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp_owner View Post
I used to pull my 2013 16UL, the smallest Work & Play with my 2012 1/2ton Tundra 5.7 with 1460 lbs. of payload. The 16UL is built exactly like the larger W&P's, just shorter (18 ft cab, 22ft overall). It easily holds two full-sized bikes side by side with room to spare.

16UL (factory specs):
UVW: 4775 lbs.
GVWR: 9500 lbs.
Empty tongue weight: 775 lbs.

16UL (realworld loaded, 35 gal of water, gear, and NO toys):
5650 lbs. Yes, 5650 lbs. isn't much tow weight, even for a 1/2-ton, but tongue weight is a whole 'nother story.
Tongue weight was typically 1050 lbs. Even with 1000-1500 lbs. of toys loaded in the rear garage area, the tongue weight still remained above 1000 lbs.

My Tundra was at max payload (CAT scaled) towing the 16UL. This was with nothing particularly heavy in the truck bed, just light gear inside the truck cab and one passenger.

Long story short, got tired of being on the "edge" in terms of payload . . . so, I upgraded to a new 1-ton truck with 3950 lbs. of payload and an OEM 1700 lb. (tongue weight rated) Cat V receiver. Problem solved.
.... good story for those needing some trailering education and boy, those 16UL's are small. That is what we were looking for until we looked at a 18EC parked right next to the 16UL .... quite a bit more room and the murphy bed worked well. Of course since then, we upgraded to a bumper pull "mobile apartment" ... a 25ULA.
__________________
White 2016 Work & Play Ultra 25ULA, Cherry Wood, Pebble, Onboard Onan 5.5, Onboard Fuel Station, 50-Amp Service
Onyx Black 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD DCSB, 6.6 Duramax/Allison, LTZ/Z71 397bhp/765t
Shadow Black 2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium Convertible 435 bhp (Wife's Toy)
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), 115rwhp/124rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:45 AM   #46
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 40
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
.... good story for those needing some trailering education and boy, those 16UL's are small. That is what we were looking for until we looked at a 18EC parked right next to the 16UL .... quite a bit more room and the murphy bed worked well. Of course since then, we upgraded to a bumper pull "mobile apartment" ... a 25ULA.
We didn't go with the 18EC for two reasons: 1) excessive tongue weight for our Tundra, and 2) the cabinets on the left side of the 18EC left little room in terms of width for our toys. The 16UL with a full width garage area actually had more useable garage space for our needs.

In any case, like you, we'll be upgrading now that we have more than enough payload capacity. Currently looking at a number of 32-34 ft 5th wheel toy haulers.
__________________
wp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich T View Post
Hi Guys

I'm looking to get a Work & Play
I need to fit 2 Harleys and for it to be 1/2 ton towable
Is it possible and if so which model would be best

Thanks
Rich T, my wife and I also trailer two Harleys, and recently (last October) bought a 2010 18LT. It is half-ton towable, weighing 5100 lbs empty, and two full-size motorcycles fit inside with plenty of room. It tips the scales at a touch under 8000 lbs, loaded for two weeks of camping, bikes, provisions and full water tank.
We have a 2011 F-150 CC Ecoboost with 3.55 gears, which is comparable in GCWR to your truck.
We looked at the 18EC and didn't care for the layout, nor did we like that two cycles would be difficult to load. Also, the water tanks are mounted such that installing chocks and tiedowns for two bikes is difficult.
We looked for a nice 18LT for a couple years, having found most of the ones we looked at were either not cared for or had been left outside, fading the gelcoat and deteriorating the graphics.
We finally found ours on Craigslist in Savannah, GA, which is 1000 miles from west Michigan, but it was worth the drive.
__________________
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LT View Post
Rich T, my wife and I also trailer two Harleys, and recently (last October) bought a 2010 18LT. It is half-ton towable, weighing 5100 lbs empty, and two full-size motorcycles fit inside with plenty of room. It tips the scales at a touch under 8000 lbs, loaded for two weeks of camping, bikes, provisions and full water tank.
We have a 2011 F-150 CC Ecoboost with 3.55 gears, which is comparable in GCWR to your truck.
We looked at the 18EC and didn't care for the layout, nor did we like that two cycles would be difficult to load. Also, the water tanks are mounted such that installing chocks and tiedowns for two bikes is difficult.
We looked for a nice 18LT for a couple years, having found most of the ones we looked at were either not cared for or had been left outside, fading the gelcoat and deteriorating the graphics.
We finally found ours on Craigslist in Savannah, GA, which is 1000 miles from west Michigan, but it was worth the drive.
Good info, but where the heck are the photos??
WW
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 433
Good discussion. When we were considering getting another TT after selling our old one in 2012, I started research on weights and was stunned to discover we were probably towing over weight with the original TV/TT combo. So when we discussed what we wanted to tow (something short - 22-24' range; something relatively light but with a slide), we had to work within the limits of our new Chevy Tahoe with the heavy-duty tow package. I pulled the rear row of seats out and stored them wrapped in the garage. That gave me an additional 130 lbs in the back. We chose a trailer that met the tow/cargo restrictions of the Tahoe with us and our two kitties and it tows easily and is very comfortable. A little tighter than what we had before but it is great - well worth the trouble of doing the research. I still need to take it to the scales to get the weights, but the trailer is well in the limits of the Tahoe's rated capacity.
__________________
2015 Palomino SolAire 20RBS
2017 1500 Silverado Z71 with 6.2L, 8-speed & tow package
Former: 2104 Tahoe Z71 w/Heavy Duty Tow Pkg (Sold)
2015: 18 days; 2016: 21 days; 2017: 16 days (so far)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Good info, but where the heck are the photos??
WW
Oh man, you gotta give me time to figure this forum out. I just registered this morning so give me a bit to figure out how to do pics.
I'm on a Colt Walker forum, a Harley Switchback forum, and a police bike forum (nope, I'm not law enforcement, just own a police Electra Glide) and posting pics is different for all of them.
But I'll post some pics as soon as I do some reading on it.
__________________

__________________
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.