Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #1

2006 Work + Play 18 LT Fresh tank hanging LOW

Hi,

I picked up a lightly used W/P 18lt. I LOVE the unit for motocross and model car races.

The problem, all 3 tanks have bellies bigger than mine with the with the fresh water tank hanging quite low with a drooping center section. There are 3 metal straps slung around the fresh tank but with the center of the tank bowed down 3-4 inches, ground clearance is getting close.

In addition, the drooping center sections are drawing in the upper mounting flanges in the center so that the tank is slipping out of the horizontal mounting members.

The design of the unit make it appear that the tanks are installed before the floor and do not drop down from the bottom. So replacing the tank may be a nightmare.

Just check to see if others have had this problem and what they did to correct it or any issues that have resulted from the sagging tanks. Also checking to see if Forest River has ever addressed the issue.

Thanks in advance.
In2racn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

No one else with this issue?
In2racn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #3

18LT Water Tank

I have a 2008 18LT and have been concerned about the tank belly. Seems to get lower when full. Noticed the same thing when it comes to mounting and trying to redesign something. I was thinking about moving the tank behind the axles to reduce some tongue weight. If FR gives you a response I would very much like knowing what they say about it. thanks.
LA48340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
AlR

So, was there any resolution to the sagging tank issue? IE: bolt some checker plate between the stringers to support the tanks? Wondering. Thanx. Al
AlR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #5

I fixed it myself

I bought a brand NEW 21VFB with a 30 gal FW tank and it did the same thing on the way home from Kentucky, where it was purchased. I live in Texas and had the tank filled by the dealer for the trip home. I did a quick 'look see" to check out the rig and noticed the tank almost coming loose from the cheap metal angles supporting the tank. After contacting the warranty dept, they sent 3 metal straps (plain galvanized metal about 26 ga) and no attachment hardware and no instructions as how to mount the darn things).
I didn't want to drill holes in the existing structure for fear of fatiguing the angles, nor did I want to take the tank completely out of the unit, so I purchased 6 stainless steel 1" strap hooks ($3.55 each), screws and nuts to attach the straps to the hooks, rubber insulation to prevent rubbing a hole in the tank, and supported the tank with the straps by hooking the new steps to the metal floor trusses. The weight of the tank is enough to keep the tank in place when empty. Be careful, though….check your 'top clearance' because the tank also expands upwards when filled to capacity and will push UP on the floor if there is not sufficient room for expansion.
I still have NOT been reimbursed for the parts I bought since last August, and i was 'assured' by the warranty dept. it would in 'no way' affect my warranty and I would be reimbursed for my expenditures.
twodogs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

This is normal from what I've read. My last rig was the same way. A couple of particle board sections about 4" wide and a couple of metal straps. My fresh tanks bowed the straps and themselves way down when full. I've read where people who are really concerned about it have made up a solid metal framework for underneath to prevent this from happening.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank