Old 04-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #1

2013 wrs30 water damage

Has anyone had trouble with water getting into the outside fridge vents? seems like there is no seal at the bottom of mine. Water just walked in from the 3 lower channels and into the osb wood. My whole wall is rotted. I attached some photos. If they show up someone please let me know if yours has a seal between the vent and the wall. I have contacted James Norman at forest river. Hope they can help. Unit is only 1 year 11 months old!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150331_173423.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	72747   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150331_173429.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	72748  

Old 04-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

If you have talked with James Norman and or Chaz Hood they are outstanding. Mine is not fixed yet, I am waiting my turn. Seems to be an issue with the refridgerator vents. I also have noted that all the sealant around windows etc needs to be redone fairly soon after purchase.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Scott! please give me the details on your problem! Same as mine? It's really a shame as the factory didn't seal it with a $5.00 can of seal. was your just out of warrantee as mine? I'm sure my camper started to leak the first rain out of the factory! I actually bought from the dealer a $600.00 top of the line cover. Too bad I guess it was just a overpriced uv cover... My wife and I are really upset as we only took 3 trips with this unit. We really were told these units were built like tanks... very upset. everywhere we go people really love the camper.. heck we still love it. just hope that forest river will do what is right. put in a few happy time pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-10-25 11.19.03.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	533.2 KB
ID:	72775   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140412_130217.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	72776  
Old 04-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #4

hopefully they can get it right.. otherwise its a very nice camper.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

just found the damage on mine a couple of weeks ago. Mine is a 2014. I talked with James and he was extremely nice and helpful. I have talked with Chaz Hood several times. I had questons on the suspension and he got me some info and frame people to talk to. I would say on mine it was just poor sealing. Where the grills fit on mine the holes were cut pretty large and not all of the screws were holding. I am waiting to see the fix and I am sure I will find some way for this not to happen again. I have had 3 work and plays and they have been great. This on just has a problem and once we get that taken care of things should be fine. I do know that I am very mindful of all the seals on mine and in the future I will check them even more often. I love the trailer, just had a hickup
Old 04-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

I hope they can fix mine. I have been in touch with James and we will see where it goes. I have looked at other campers and they have a built up seal at the base so water can't walk in.. This would seem to have been overlooked at the factory. I did notice when I took my unit home the lower vent panel was bowed out. Guessing the water damage already happened at the lot and tweaked the vent frame. I did call the dealer then about that. They sent a whole new vent assembly and told me to just swap out the door. It did the same. I should have looked further, but brushed it off as just a cosmetic problem. Being I cover my unit after each trip it was hard to see anything wrong. I would once a week go inside and check all the ceilings and corners. bone dry inside. once I uncovered it this last time I noticed a lot of staining from the lower vent cover. and how the gel coat on the outer wall is very waved at that area. That's when I really started looking further. Is yours as bad as mine? I'm sure without any seal even if it's level a bit of wind and rain and there is no stopping it soaking in. I'll let you know if I hear anything. One last thing where are they going to repair yours?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #7

My 30WR is a 2011. Mine has a black sealant like silicon that prevents water from getting to the wood.

When I first got my unit I removed the lower fridge grill and found that the drain from the fridge was inside the compartment and not venting outside the grill like it should. If I had not discovered it all that water would have been inside the compartment. Glad I caught it..
Old 04-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #8

this yet another tragic occurance that need not be. before these plastic vents were aluminum frames and doors that, though not perfect, at least had a lip on the inside edge to prevent water intrusion. fast forward to the present and both norcold and dometic make similar frames with no interior lip to prevent water on the perimeter from entering the compartment. now a manufacturer must seal area somehow to prevent water damage. I just build a big ledge to divert water back out. its a bad design by both dometic and norcold IMO and virtually every coach made for years is suseptible...
Old 04-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's beyond me how this could be overlooked. without any seal or built up lip to deter the water back out of the 3 small channels at the bottom of the vent cover, It's just a recipe for disaster.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150403_073313.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	72920  
Old 04-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #10

Now that the damage is found, I'm at the mercy of the ethics of forest river. I'm almost at a loss as the extent of the damage on a unit I refinanced my farm to get. Put it on a level ground used it only 3 times and always covered it. I would once a week go inside and look for anything unusual.
Attached Files

Tags
2013, water