Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

275ulsbs still no fun to pull

After going through many procedures and weighing everything on the truck scales, adding generator to front rack and 2nd battery to get the right tongue weight, this trailer still sucks to pull. The rear garage is supposed to be good for 1500 lbs. My rzr weighs 1100 and that is the only thing that goes in there? Backed in as close to the sliding door it can be.

I'm towing with 98 2500 cummins, Reese dual cam WDH and one Curtis anti sway. I built the truck myself and its laid down 430hp and 850 ft/lbs at the wheels, it's not a power issue. I'm starting to believe the sway I get is just due to the fact the 10' garage is completely out behind the axles and the weight should be limited to less then 1000 lbs in the back. What shocks me is I've seen this trailer advertised as a 1/2 ton towable. Yeah right that would be fun. I've checked trailer wheel alignment and do not know what else to do.
Blktegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Is your wdh adjusted properly? Ideally your reese should be adjusted to return the front axle to as close to unloaded weight as possible without going heavier. Next check your cams. Pull forward about 100 ft straight on flat level ground. Make sure your cams are sitting correctly in the saddle.

These links are very helpful for the dual cam. It us very hard to get adjusted properly. Ask me how I know.
Travel trailer hitch setup procedure

wdh, how it works.

Next, are you within your payload and tow capacity? Is your tongue weight under or over your hitch receiver ratings? What size bars are you running on your wdh? What is your tongue weight?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 AM   #3

Have you tried pulling with the garage empty yet? Does it tow better when empty?
Old 08-16-2016, 05:08 AM   #4

What is your TW % "Loaded Ready to Go Down the Road"? I would like to see a Pic of your "Reese Dual Cam with the Added Curtis Anti-Sway also! What are your TT Tire Specs,pressure,Brand? Youroo!!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

You said you built the truck. Is it jacked up, or have aftermarket wheels and tires with non stock offset? Looking at all possibilities.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

I'm curious about the sway control bar plus the Reese dual cam. That's the first I've heard of doing that. I'm wondering if one is canceling the other out. Friction vs torque. I have know idea if that is plausible or not. Just floating the idea. When I had a sway issue I thought about airbags but an E-trailer rep told me that airbags were not recommended with sway control because they fought each other. I'm no expert by any stretch but that's what I was told. I hope you figure it out. Sway can make a trip miserable.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #7

X2 trying it with the garage empty. I would also check the tire pressure and ensure it is at max.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItEasy View Post
Have you tried pulling with the garage empty yet? Does it tow better when empty?
As Above. Try towing empty. Let us know. Good Luck.
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #9

hey,blktegra. I tow a 35' toy hauler TT with a 3/4 ton. I have an 11' garage that I put a 1260 pound sxs in. I am very tongue heavy w/o the sxs loaded.
I found out by going to the Cat scales that loading the sxs takes 300 pounds off of my tongue weight! This also returns my TV front axle to within 1/4" of not having my TT hooked up. It's a fine balance having that much weight completely behind the TT axles. IMHO I think you may have a light tongue weight issue. There many people on this forum with a whole lot more tow weight knowledge then I have. Hopefully they will be able to help you out.
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

Blktegra. Where did you go? You posted about your unhappiness with your unit, people have responded, but you haven't been back. ????
Old 08-18-2016, 07:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Blktegra. Where did you go? You posted about your unhappiness with your unit, people have responded, but you haven't been back. ????
He probably works for a living and won't be back till his shift ends.

someone has to keep that social security check of mine funded.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #12
Site Team

What tires do you have on the TV?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #13

I have the same hauler and with a 1000+pound SxS and a generator in the garage, it tows like a dream.
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
He probably works for a living and won't be back till his shift ends.

someone has to keep that social security check of mine funded.

Nailed it! I'm a project manager currently supervising construction of a new rest area off the highway. And while I appreciate everybody's input there are many questions I need to respond to that yall have asked. It's to hard for me to do from the phone so I've been waiting until the weekend to sit down in front of the computer so I can view the whole post.
Blktegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktegra View Post
Nailed it! I'm a project manager currently supervising construction of a new rest area off the highway. And while I appreciate everybody's input there are many questions I need to respond to that yall have asked. It's to hard for me to do from the phone so I've been waiting until the weekend to sit down in front of the computer so I can view the whole post.
Great! We all look forward to the opportunity to help!
Old 08-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully we can get this fixed up for you!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #17

If you have Anti Sway on your TV turn it off. These do not work well with WD/ Anti Sway Hitches. If both are left on they work against each other and will scuff the edges of your tires and your sway and Anti Sway will be exagerated.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
If you have Anti Sway on your TV turn it off. These do not work well with WD/ Anti Sway Hitches. If both are left on they work against each other and will scuff the edges of your tires and your sway and Anti Sway will be exagerated.

Jack
Interesting. I've never had any issues with my Silverado. Actually, never even thought to turn it off. Is that problem brand specific?
Old 08-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Interesting. I've never had any issues with my Silverado. Actually, never even thought to turn it off. Is that problem brand specific?
Not really but if you are having problems with sway and have a WD/Sway hitch and anti sway on in your truck try turning the anti sway feature off. Sway will be exagerated in a strong crosswind with both on. They work against each other and you will notice scuffing on the outside edges of your tires where sidewall and tread meet. I have had this problem with Chevy and Ford Anti Sway with two different trailers.

Lighter and shorter trailers will not need the WD/Sway hitch and the anti sway feature works great. Longer and heavier trailers that require a WD/Sway hitch are not very compatible with the anti sway feature that is built in to your TV. This is more prevalent with strong crosswinds.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #20
Senior Senior Member

I am wondering

if your build on your TV included all new suspension components. There are so many bushings, spacers, etc. that could affect sway. Things get pretty worn out after almost 20 year and might not show up as an issue until under the added stress of towing.

Just thinking out loud a bit here. Hope you get it figured out.

Happy Camping