Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

30 WRS enclosed underbelly

My wife and I have a new 2014 30WRS. We traded in a blue ridge 3025 that we lived in for a year. I forgot what it was like to have a trailer without enclosed underbelly. Has anyone seen what a work and play enclosed underbelly looks like? Is the factory material worth having? Any suggestions on doing it yourself? Thanks
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #2

I just purchased a new 275ULSBS. Work & Play does not offer an enclosed underbelly for the 275, I was told they do not offer it for any trailers. I order the trailer with the All Season Package. In the package, Work & Play sprays the underside with about 2" of foam insulation. I am sure this is something you could have a local foam insulation contractor do for you.

GeoFish
Geofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #3

There was a member on here that recently purchased a 30WR or WRS and he said it had a sealed underbelly but I did not see any pictures. I have not heard of W&P using spray foam.

From other insulated underbelly's I have seen they have very little insulation and use a plastic cardboard material like Coroplast to enclose the underbelly. This is a project I plan to tackle someday. I would use 2" or 3" insulation board and I would use sheet metal instead of Coroplast. I think it would pretty easy till you get around the tanks. I don't think a sealed underbelly will stop your tanks from freezing unless you some sort of alternate heat source to keep then from freezing. Like a heat strip or tank pad.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #4

My wife and I have a 320 rs columbus and the under belly is enclosed with the plastic cardboard. There is about 6 inches of insulation above that but do to numerous water leaks the insulation has been replaced but the plastic is so streched by now that it droops down pretty badly. Thanks 1/243 for the idea of sheet metal. columbus trailers are not well built as far as I'm concerned. Numerous water leaks,electrical problems, furnace problems, floor noises, exhaust fans problems, bad service in chelsea michigan (our dealer). We are not happy campers!
cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

I think if manufactures actually used their trailers for a year they would be a lot better designed plus quality control would improve... Besides most trailers just being slapped together It's when you get in behind a cabinet or someplace out of sight what you find i.e. plywood hole cutouts, pieces of linoleum, screws. I am waiting to find some bodies old lunch bag in there.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Always Learning

Re: someone's lunch;

I think I recall reading someone found a yogurt cup in their underbelly.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

There really is no point to enclosing the underbelly. The r factor in the FRP walls is less than 2 and the roof is about R-6. The furnace is about a 20,000 btu unit in my 34 fk, one of the larger units they build. It is a 3 season trailer, the engineering needed to change that would mean using a completely different material for the walls, which in turn would change the reason most people by any work and play, and that is for the relatively high cargo capacity relative to the cost. There are many other toy haulers on the market better insulated with almost no capacity. If you want both a custom Spacecraft will do you nicely at about $150K
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #8

Yogurt! Must have been a high end Rig. Mine would have had a can of chew and a empty bag of Pork Rinds..
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #9

I am not trying to overengineer the work & play, however, I do feel that it would help if the belly were closed. I think the post above that talks about the spray insulation on the floor would be pretty good and I might just enclose the waste tanks. I guess I feel the insulation would be as good for summer use as winter.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #10

Scott

My 275 is the Ultra version.
The foam is sprayed over the tanks and completely covers everything underneath. Maybe about 2” thick.
If you can find a Work & Play with the all seasons package at a dealer somewhere, you can take a look at how they do it.
This package also included heated tanks.
I think this would be something you could have done without too much work involved.

GeoFish
Geofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #11

That sounds like exactly what I am wanting to do. I know these trailers aren't the most efficient, however, we had a beautiful 5ver that we lived in with arctic package and after getting a home I deliberately traded back to this. We had a 25 ULA and a 30 WR and I really like these trailers, just want to do something to upgrade. I am thinking of adding a second a/c as well. Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
BBQ'er

We put down a new “floating” floor and it has made a noticeable difference during the winter. They also have insulation that will go under the flooring that we did not opt to get. This of course does not help if you are trying to insulate the tanks and water lines.

Tags
underbelly