Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

30WRS Awning

We took our new 30WRS out for the first time a couple weeks ago and only had a couple issues. First, I checked the tie downs in the garage before I pulled the bikes in, all the self tapping bolts were stripped so we didn't take the bikes on this trip. I'm installing longer bolts with lock nuts to eliminate the problem. Then, once we parked, we found the awning motor doesn't have a stop so we ended up retracting the awning with the extend switch. Now, should the awning retract rolled over or under--or does it matter? A couple minor water leaks that I took care of and all is good.
hogdooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #2

It should roll over,so when it rains the awning doesn't collect water. As for water leaks we had the toilet supply fitting leak cause it was alittle loose. We also had a roof leak but it's at the dealer getting fixed,it was leaking in the master sleep quarters on the drivers side in the wardrobe cabinet. While your at it check to see if the fresh water tank is sagging and hitting the foward axle.
Goats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #3

[SIZE="4"]Never travel with your tanks full. You add a lot of extra unnecessary[ weight. Fill up just before "boon docking". The sag is pretty normal when tank is completely full.

Jack/SIZE]
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #4

When I camp in I'm the middle of no where running off a gen. We will go for a number of days.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goats View Post
It should roll over,so when it rains the awning doesn't collect water. As for water leaks we had the toilet supply fitting leak cause it was alittle loose. We also had a roof leak but it's at the dealer getting fixed,it was leaking in the master sleep quarters on the drivers side in the wardrobe cabinet. While your at it check to see if the fresh water tank is sagging and hitting the foward axle.
what model camper is yours, and does it have a flat roof
Concerned tax payer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned tax payer View Post
what model camper is yours, and does it have a flat roof
It's a 30wrs and it does have a flat roof but the leak was really coming from the side round over
Old 04-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #7

water leaks???

That'll get the attention of the avg forum reader. Any and all details you want to share on where those were and how you noticed them will help many of us sleep a little better after we've checked out every little thing you encountered.

Hope you get things all sorted and bring all your toys on the next trip!
JrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #8

I wish I would have looked at the roof on this camper before I purchased it, relying on caulking to seal the one-piece roof to the outer trim with water standing against the caulking is a bad idea, where we live in Montana we can have water and snow and ice on the roof 6 months out of the year. the longer that water sits on the roof the bigger chance there is for it to find a hole and come inside. every time there is a freeze thaw cycle the caulking will raise a little bit.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #9

The vast majority have had no problems with any leaks. Run the hitch jack up a couple of inches when stored. Problem solved. Your stressing yourself out about something that you think might happen. I have had two W & P and never had a leak.

Sell it or build some sort of covered storage or get a cover for it before you croak from a heart attack.

Jack

jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
The vast majority have had no problems with any leaks. Run the hitch jack up a couple of inches when stored. Problem solved. Your stressing yourself out about something that you think might happen. I have had two W & P and never had a leak.

Sell it or build some sort of covered storage or get a cover for it before you croak from a heart attack.

Jack

Not stressing. That is how I store it, and in process of bidding/building covered storage. Just like to make sure I am keeping an eye possible maintenance items and catching them early enough to resolve without significant issues. Just wanted to know where he saw the evidence of water intrusion and where it came from.

Your concern for my health is comforting however, Thanks!!
JrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
Zombie

Talking Interesting...

Sealants are important to stay on top of. I check mine every time I put it away and when I pull it out of the carport. We also tilt the trailer towards the back too to get the water to drain off. Better safe than sorry I think.
chuck19702017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #12

Hogdooz, don't feel bad about about rolling the awning wrong. I did it too and didn't even realize it for awhile. I only realized it when I wondered why it rolled under, funneling in water.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #13

[QUOTE=jaherbst;1474759][SIZE="4"]The vast majority have had no problems with any leaks. Run the hitch jack up a couple of inches when stored. Problem solved. Your stressing yourself out about something that you think might happen. I have had two W & P and never had a leak.

Jack.
Jack, should I disclose to a potential buyer that it has a birdbath on the roof and risk getting sued for selling something that I know has a problem. Why should I take a loss because of the way that Forest River built this?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #14

Jack, you keep telling me to jack the camper up, put a cover on it, build a carport, sell it, this camper is still under warranty and has held water on the roof since new. If I sell it I will have to disclose the roof problem to avoid getting sued. In short i will be selling it at a loss because of no fault of my own. Dealing with Forest River and Pierce RV in Billings has broken my camping spirit. Its hard to relax knowing I am sleeping under a puddle of water. You will never convince me this is anything more than corporate greed by cutting corners where it wont show up until after the sale!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #15
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdooz View Post
We took our new 30WRS out for the first time a couple weeks ago and only had a couple issues. First, I checked the tie downs in the garage before I pulled the bikes in, all the self tapping bolts were stripped so we didn't take the bikes on this trip. I'm installing longer bolts with lock nuts to eliminate the problem. Then, once we parked, we found the awning motor doesn't have a stop so we ended up retracting the awning with the extend switch. Now, should the awning retract rolled over or under--or does it matter? A couple minor water leaks that I took care of and all is good.
Hopefully you didn't break the torsion spring in awning roller.....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning