Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Adding Roof Vent

I just got my W&P 18 EC and I noticed the only roof vent is the one above the shower.

I am wondering:

1: How important is a roof vent to allow the heat out, especially here in hot and humid Florida where we live?

2: How difficult (meaning costly) is it to add a vent in the aluminum Work and Play roof?

3: Is it worth being concerned about?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Mark
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Mark,

We have looked in to adding a roof vent to my Work and Play 18LT. Have yet to cut any holes. Spoke with the factory, and they recommended removing the ceiling panel from inside first, and checking for wiring, etc. Then boxing in the new vent area, reinstall the ceiling panel, and cut the holes. I'm and RV tech, part time, but quite a bit of work. Didn't want the vent for cooling, wanted it for lighting, as we have no windows in the kitchen area. Was also advised the roof was only supported full length down the center of the trailer, so be careful where you step when on the roof. Not sure what we will do, as our 15k btu roof air conditioner is more than adequate. Really would like the light, hate to loose the insulating factor of the ceiling by installing a vent.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #3

Windrider. First off, that is one really cool looking trailer you have in your photo.

I was thinking about removing the heat while in storage. But the more I learn about the roof construction, the less I want to do anyting to the roof.

Can I leave the side vents open in the rain or will water seep in? Maybe I will get a vent cover and try leaving the shower vent and bathroom door open.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #4

You could upgrade the bathroom fan with a Fantastic fan. You would get more volume of air in or out. You could go with all the options and get the one with rain sensor and remote control. I also saw that there is a manufacturer offering a vent cover for the Fantastic Fan now as well.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote