Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Bass Player

Anybody got a black WR30?

Am considering purchasing a black Work and Play, wondering if there is a problem with fading? Also concerned about keeping it clean, thinking you would see every spec of dirt on it. Drop a line if you have first hand experience.

2008 Harley Heritage Classic
Sydney , NS, Canada
garychew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #2

I have first hand experience, kind of lol. I was shopping a few months ago for a 30WR. I started out looking at preowned less than 2 years old. I looked at around 10 and after the last one I saw that was 1 year old and black in color my wife, who usually doesn't say much made a statement. "Order a new one exactly how you want it and in WHITE". I would say we looked at 6 black ones and of the 6 one was very nice both interior and exterior, one showed minor exterior flaws, chalking and a few swirls where some buffing had been done and the remainder were just plain in need of exterior care, and lots of it.

One thing to keep in mind is that I am in Florida, lots of heat and sun and salt air. I think the farthest we went to look was South Carolina and that was the nicest one of all of them. The rest were either in Georgia or Florida. With anything preventitive maintanince is critical and the ones we saw I would say other than the 2 had not had one drop of wax put on them and I am sure a couple never washed.

I will say I special ordered a new white one with the exact options we wanted, even different graphics and we are both so glad that we did. It is a big investment to get something that we have to "settle" for. I wanted black, I was going to get black, I am glad I let the misses win this one.

By the way it is getting waxed on Thursday for the first time!!! We havent used it yet and it is parked under roof so I have been lazy, but it is going out next weekend so it has to get done.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Bass Player

Thanks for the info, i was thinking that the black would be a major care item, dealer here gave me a really good price on the black one they have in stock but i think i would be better off ordering white. My 2005 white WPT245 is in excellent shape, i wax it a couple of times a year. The black would not likely be as prone to fading here in Nova Scotia as the sun is not as strong (we haven't seen it nearly all winter) but i think it could still be a problem. Won't likely get camping here until long weekend in May. Thanks again for the input.
Sydney , NS, Canada
Old 03-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I posted the other day, asking about the right wax to use on our wp275ulsbs,so what wax will you be using?

And congrats!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

I have a friend that runs a detail shop and he swears by the Maguires marine, The WP trailers are gel coat finish and that is all he uses on gel coat. He says it is easy on and fairly easy off. It doesnt really matter as he is doing the majority of it. According to him, and from what he knows on my past trailers he thinks once a year will be enough to wax.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Bass Player

I have not committed to purchase the black trailer yet, still have my white WPT245 Work and Play.I have used nothing but Mothers California Gold Carnuba wax on that trailer and it is a 2005 and still looks great. I am reluctant to buy the black trailer as i have concerns the black will fade and be a constant maintenance issue.
Sydney , NS, Canada
Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

I ordered the white and as I said I am so happy. I had them put the graphics that they use on the ultra trailer on the 30WR and it came out sweet. I had them use the black and red graphics and being that they were for a smaller trailer it isnt all cluttered with graphics and the only place it went on the window was just a small tail on the door. They worked with me alot and did some things that were not standard. I even ordered it with the Canadian standard vapor door between the living quarters and the garage.

I feel that they went above and beyond what was needed to get me what I wanted. It was a 2 month wait but that was ok, I had planned for that. I went and picked it up at the factory so it was really nice to see how they are built and to talk to the guys and gals that built them. I even got a couple of them telling me that how I did the trailer was cool and that it was the only one they had done that way. And I will say it was the factory rep and the plant super that got it all done. They called me and gave me a pick up date and the dealer did not even know it was on line. I had a real poor dealer experience but the factory people took care of me.

They, the people at the plant have me as a customer, my dealer, I will never darken their door again.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Bass Player

I am thinking i will order white, where is the factory? Doesn't really say on their website. Was thinking i might save a lot of freight if i go and get it myself. Got any pictures of yours? I love the Work and Play I have so have no doubts about getting a 30WR for sure.
Sydney , NS, Canada
Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #9

The factory is in Goshen Indiana. It is the mecca of forest river. Where the work and play trailers are built is the original building of Forest River.

I will be taking some pictures this weekend and will try to post them. We have not used the trailer yet and next weekend is the maiden voyage so I will be able to get some good pics.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
Bass Player

Have a super trip, i cannot wait to load the Harley and get moving, unfortunately, we had over 1 ft of snow on saturday. Not great trailer or bike weather.
By the way, what is the canadian vapour door you referred to? Mine just has a sliding door between the front and back.

Sydney , NS, Canada