Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

Bang-No Bang going into Canada

We just flew back to Florida from Las Vegas, leaving truck and camper in secured storage near Las Vegas. We will return end of June to continue trip and will be visiting new friends we met that live in Canada.

Here is the problem. I travel with a hand gun for the just in case (I have concealed weapon permit from Florida) and want to stay within prevailing laws. The gun is now secured in the trailer 2,500 miles from home.

I hear the Canadian government isn't too fond of us bringing weapons into Canada. What do I do with my gun when entering and driving through Canada?

As nice as I am sure they are, I do not want to end up in a Canadian prison.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Heard of people renting a safedeposit box at a bank before entering Canada or leaving it at a gunsmith or large sporting goods store. Might want to call around at the border city and just ask.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

I do not believe you will be permitted to enter Canada with a gun. We are good like that You probably already know that though.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #4

Smile

I thought of leaving it at a storage point, but I may not re-enter US at same place. May have to ship it home but not sure what's involved with that.
I really never thought about this before leaving home as we did not think we would be going into Canada.
That's the problem with talking to people at campgrounds. Next thing you know you make friends and then decide to visit them.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
...Not saying it is right or wrong; just that if you try to smuggle it into or out of Canada you are going to lose it or go to jail.
Yes, if not both and pay a huge fine.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #6

You can bring weapons in to Canada as long as they are not restricted and you declare them when you enter the country. You may find it's not worth all the red tape and the time it will add at the boarder though.

Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

PS... Don't forget to reverse the process when you enter back into the US
Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

Personally, I would not want to jeopardize my CCW. I would use a FFL in Vegas or whereever you decide to part with your weapon and have it shipped to a FFL in your home city or in your re-entry point in the USA.

The info posted by Coops does not seem too bad. Just note the mag restrictions on handguns.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #8

I have a similar issue for going to "Fireworks over the Falls" in July. My solution is to ship the handgun UPS to the campground where we will spend two nights upon return to the USA.

I went to the local UPS office (not a ship store, an actual UPS office) and was told I must ship it next day air, from a actual UPS facility, and it would require an adult signature upon delivery. No ammo may be shipped with the handgun. The exterior of the shipping carton need not indicate what is inside.

I have called the campground and they are okay with this.

NO! You do not want to attempt to take a handgun into Canada.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
DDC

I would not attempt to bring one to Canada I just seen on the news the other night about a guy who forgot to tell them he had a gun and was sentenced to time served but that was nearly three months of waiting in jail, they do not want guns here and take it very seriously so you would be well advised to ship it home. Have a good trip to Canada and bring lots of money it's not cheap here but every time we go to the US you guys seem to be catching up.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Do not ship receiver------------

As a ex FFL holder (retired) you can not "JUST" ship the receiver as "MACHINE" parts for it has a ser # and is considered the "MAIN" frame of the firearm. You can as mentioned in a early post, rent a safe deposit box at a bank for safe keeping until you return. Go to your local bank, have them to make contact for you at a branch bank of your bank for short term use of the safe deposit box.

To confirm to the US FFL laws, to ship the fire arm, go to your local dealer where you live, make arrangements for him to receive the firearm, get a copy of his lic. Contact a firearm dealer where your RV is stored when you return to the area. Take the firearm to the license dealer (GUN SHOP)
give him the copy of your local FFL holder for him to ship. When you return home, you have to go through the background check to get your firearm back, also paying a small fee for the RV storage area FFL dealer to ship said fire arm. When you return home, you may have to pay a "Small fee" to get the firearm from your local dealer plus the background check all over again. Sorry to say, but these are the FFL laws about shipping fire arms.

Last year when I traveled to Canada through Maine into New Brunswick, I had my local bank contact a branch of BANK of AMERICA in Bangor, Maine
for a short time rental (30 Days). Actually it did not cost me anything to use the safe deposit box because of my investments and deposits with the bank, this is a arrangement I made which worked out great. for I not only stored the hand gun but also pepper spray, radar detector

GOOD LUCK
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 05-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #11

I helped move my sister from Fairbanks to Georgia several years ago and I found out as we were pulling into a border crossing that "I hope they don't find out about so and so's guns and search us".......,..WTH I'm driving and now you tell me. Fortunately we made it through with out any problem, and the crossing into Montana was even more lax, no wonder we have issues 8-O
Old 05-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Steve & Phyllis

This is a good link to use for this.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/mobile//...to-canada.html

Be aware that you need to declare them on way out also.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #13

I sure don't understand the issue with magazines. My 40 cal. Glock holds 13 rounds. What's the big deal between that and 10 rounds? Now, if it was 50 rounds and fully automatic, I could understand that. Grrrr!!!!
I'm through venting now!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Old 05-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #14

We'll lock you up and throw away the key if you bring your handgun into Canada. Big no no here. Do what you have to do, but keep your hand guns home. It's the law.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 05-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #15

Cuz Canada is crime free don't cha know, hose head 8)
Old 05-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

I think we have gotten the OP's issue resolved.
Thank you all for your input (even my awful one).

Seems the Safety deposit box (if using the same port of entry) or the application for transport route are the best options.
Closed Thread