Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #1

Brand new W&P freeze damage from the Dealer!

I really thought my first post after picking up my new 2014 Work and Play 18EC would be more joyful. Less than 14 hours after purchasing my unit it has been determined it was not winterized on the lot at the dealer. After much finger pointing and denial, they said they "guess it could have happened". Okay, so now my question is: How can I ensure everything will be repaired in one visit? I do not want to leave there without knowing the water heater, water pump, and fixtures are operational. I need to know what I may be overlooking? What are some of the other items that may have been damaged in temperatures below zero? Thank you for any advise.
abby8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #2

Brought home new and damaged W&P 18EC

I cannot even post a picture, my luck is so crappy. Says "invalid file"
Old 02-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

I would not even pull it to the front of the office much less home until EVERYTHING was checked under pressure.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

I'm curious...how was it determined the unit wasn't winterized?

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #5

The only way to really tell if everything is working is to use everything. Fill it full of water, turn on the pump and use every faucet, toilet, sink and shower you have. Then let the pump pressurize the lines and let it sit. If the pump starts pumping for any reason at all you have a leak!

Even turn the hot water tank on and make sure it gets hot and that it gets to where it's going hot.

Only way you are going to know.

Good Luck.
RobRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #6

Check all tanks,they don't need pressure,just water. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

Teamfour,

The young man doing the walk around with us just happened to check the freshwater tank. He drained it and a lot of water ran out. He mistakenly thought "the other guy in the shop" must have filled it to do a systems check. Well, we said that was dumb because now we will have to rewinterize it (winter is not over by a long shot). The next morning we emptied the grey and black lines, no pink stuff came out. Then, as we were running the antifreeze through all the lines, the pink antifreeze was coming out of places it shouldn't; i.e. faucet handles, behind the shower fiberglass fitting.

I immediately called the dealer. "The other guy in the shop" said he did not fill it with water, so they conceded it must have somehow been overlooked. That means it had been sitting on their lot not winterized for how long?

Thank you everyone for your help!
The worst part is speaking to the owner of the rv dealer. The first few minutes of the conversation starts out with denial and what I must be doing wrong. So condescending!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Duplicate threads merged.

How are you trying to upload a picture?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #9

abby8242, that is awful. I hope you get it resolved!

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #10

Yes, in hindsight, I wish I would have insisted on the water system check. The dealer said they normally do, but in Febuary the tempertures are too frigid to be a reasonable option. Yeah, thanks.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #11

Oh yeah, my husband wanted the red one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0399.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	46757  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Check all tanks,they don't need pressure,just water. Youroo!!

The ONLY way to make sure all your lines, and fixtures do not have leaks is to pressurize them.

Ive had both my sink fixtures and toilet fixtures freeze and break lines during extreme cold spell.

But, to each their own.
RobRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #13

I think I would be call company and refusing that unit completely. In TN we have the lemon lay, you have a time period that it can be rejected in. Make the call and see about getting a new unit.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 AM   #14

According to some websites I looked at Tenn & Kentucky's law does not cover RVs without a chassis.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRocks View Post
The only way to really tell if everything is working is to use everything. Fill it full of water, turn on the pump and use every faucet, toilet, sink and shower you have. Then let the pump pressurize the lines and let it sit. If the pump starts pumping for any reason at all you have a leak!

Even turn the hot water tank on and make sure it gets hot and that it gets to where it's going hot.

Only way you are going to know.

Good Luck.
I know how to check the (Hot & Cold) water system in the (COLD) you use (AIR pressure)! If you have a (Leak) there will be NO (WATER) cleanup involved. This way will (NOT) check the (12V water Pump for operation, but will also check it for Leaks). The statement I made in a prior Post was Strictly for the (Holding Tanks) that must be filled with fluid for proper test,best to use water (Not Anti-freeze) for money saving reasons,best done in Warm conditions! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #16

You bought the thing, they owe it to you to put water in it, check it, demonstrate to you during the walk through, then they can take the 15 minutes, yes 15 minutes, to rewinterize it. 15 minutes and three gallons of antifreeze. That won't ding their profits too badly.

It's on them either way especially since water was discovered on site, then they didn't check it for freeze damage.

Good luck, I'd request that all the faucets and flush valves get replaced, lean on them, remind them that they delivered a defective unit.
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
You bought the thing, they owe it to you to put water in it, check it, demonstrate to you during the walk through, then they can take the 15 minutes, yes 15 minutes, to rewinterize it. 15 minutes and three gallons of antifreeze. That won't ding their profits too badly.

It's on them either way especially since water was discovered on site, then they didn't check it for freeze damage.

Good luck, I'd request that all the faucets and flush valves get replaced, lean on them, remind them that they delivered a defective unit.
I doubt a trailer that size would even take 3 gallons. Don't let them make their problem your problem. The dealer screwed up....they know it and they know what needs to be done. How cold was it? If well below freezing while filled with plain water I'd be concerned that the water lines had been weakened by the ice. They may not leak right away, but might be prone to premature failure later.

If they say its too cold, ask them where they work on the trailers cuz you'd like to pay a visit to it to see why its too cold for them to put it in there, warm it up, fill it up, and show you that everything works.

I agree with a previous poster. Fill the tank, use the pump to run water out of every faucet, etc, check where the pump sits for water on the floor, fill the water heater, then with the water lines pressurized, leave everything off for a few minutes. If there is a leak, you'll hear the pump come on once the line pressure goes down. It may take a while if its a seep. If the water heater was absolutely full in hard freeze temps it might have frozen solid. Dunno what the result of that could be.

Honestly, I think you've got a pretty big potential problem. Could depend upon how long it sat with water and how cold it was. Absolutely impossible for any of us to know exactly what damage was done. Hard for you to know too.

Only way I know to have what should be a leakproof trailer would be to have all new plumbing and tanks installed. Thats gonna be a struggle to get but the trailer isn't very big so there can't be too much to replace. Just hope that the dude that left the water in it isn't the one who gets to do the work. If the dealer is reputable, they should decide they're not going to make any money on this sale now due to their screw up and take their profit and fix it right for you.

Keep documentation of every discussion with the dealer. When they refuse to do what you want, let them know you'll be calling the manufacturer. Another idea, talk to whomever you financed it with and see if they have any suggestions. Stopping payment would get the dealers attention real quick.

Really sucks. Keep us posted.
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #18
Anacortesians

Yet another example, I'm afraid, of the benefits of buying a rig that has been "gently used". We did and have had no problems other than those self-inflicted.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #19

Yes, you need to follow through on all that has been suggested that you deem necessary. Last year while traveling through Amorillo, Tx, in our 18EC we hit a cold front. The camp ground had signs not to hook up water hoses because of the freeze. When I awoke in the morning all our tanks were frozen with ice and snow on the ground. Toilet wouldn't flush, pump wouldn't pump and I couldn't even dump my tanks.

I feared that the freeze would damage our tanks, plumbing or something and was really worried until everything thawed out two days later in Arizona. To my relief, there was nothing wrong at all.

Yes, you need to follow through with dealer to winterize and and do a complete inspection, but so far you are not aware of any damage. You may find all the worry was for nothing. That's what I am hoping for you. Good luck.

PS. We really like our 18EC. I think once you get past all this you will enjoy you camper.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #20
BBQ'er

I am with the others that the dealer should fix it. With that said, changing out faucets is not a big deal and pretty easy. Again the dealer should fix it but if you are faced with either arguing with the dealer or replacing a couple faucets and using your trailer ...

Tags
dealer