Old 06-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #1

Cargo to tongue weight relationship

I haven't been able to take my trailer and Harley to scales yet but was wondering how much weight does adding about 1,000 pounds to the cargo area take off the tongue. Is there a percentage, for example 20% of 1,000 lb. cargo weight reduces the 1,000 pound tongue weight to 800?

I realize that the length of trailer, location of wheels and cargo and lunar phase affect the number but is there a rule of thumb?

2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #2

I think every camper is going to be different.
I do not know a rule of thumb.
But from my experience you have to weigh the hitch at the ball yourself, do not believe what the manufacture tells you.

I have a Work & Play 275 ULSBS.
When I purchased it in the fall of 2013, the manufacture claimed a 1129 LB hitch weight. They didn’t say is this was dry or wet, but left the impression it was dry since all of the other weights were dry (or unloaded). I now think this is the lightest possible, (fully loaded garage). They also said ton towable, no way a ton truck can take the actual amount of hitch weight this thing has.
Since then the manufacture has changed and is now claiming a dry hitch weight of 1302 Lbs.
My camper with two batteries in front, both LP tanks filled and the normal amount of stuff in the camper (about 500 lbs. of gear) and I have a hitch weight of 1660 Lbs. This is measured with a Sherline hitch scale at the ball. My camper has some options like a generator mounted forward of the axels.
Anything added to the camper will affect the hitch weight. Most of my cabinet storage is forward of the axels.

Adding 230 Lbs. to the back of the TH and the hitch weight drops to 1560 LBS.
Adding another 650 LBS (ATV) to the back and the hitch weight drops to 1340 LBS.

I am assuming, fully loaded and my weight may drop to around the 1150 LB. mark or 10% of my 11,500 LB GVWR.
I hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Site Team

It's not an exact science, but you should be able to get your general rule of thumb based on ratio between 2 lengths.

First, measure length of midpoint of axles to tonque.

Second measure length of midpoint of axles to midpoint of cargo getting added to the garage.

The ratio between these should approximate the ratio of cargo to tongue.

So, as an example (not your true measurements) let's say axle to garage = 5 feet, and Axle to tongue = 20 feet. Ratio between these is 4:1. So, every 4 pounds in the garage should be about a 1 pound weight change in the tongue. A 1000 lb Harley would change the tongue by 250 lbs in this case.

Note that it's not really exact, as things like the suspension, flex in the frame, etc... will also factor in, but as a general rule of thumb, it should apply.

Disclaimer: All theories expressed here are from a basic knowledge of physics and not real world experience.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #4

I don't know about all the math stuff but I do know that with my 1000# UTV in the bed of my 01' F150 7700 and a Micro Lite 25DS hooked up the front and rear axle weights are at max and total load is 12,500 lbs. I have my air bags on the truck at 80 psi and the wd hitch cinched up tight.

Tows real well but it's a grind in the mountains.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:37 AM   #5

At this point I would not worry about the ratio. I would get the rig loaded and weighed. If your TW is between 10/15 percent of your trailer weight you are good.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #6

The only way to know tongue & overall weight is to weigh it. Just moving the bike a few inches back or forward can change tongue weight some. The TH model make can be very different as to weights. Layout of axle location, type of axle mounting, number of axles, etc. Tanks (water, grey, black) being empty or full will change things. Too many variables to have a rule of thumb that is more than a (SWAG) guess .

Advertised tongue dry weight or total dry weight is that weight only once. When the trailer is totally empty. THs are tough as they can be loaded in so many ways with different toys.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
The only way to know tongue & overall weight is to weigh it. Just moving the bike a few inches back or forward can change tongue weight some. The TH model make can be very different as to weights. Layout of axle location, type of axle mounting, number of axles, etc. Tanks (water, grey, black) being empty or full will change things. Too many variables to have a rule of thumb that is more than a (SWAG) guess .

Advertised tongue dry weight or total dry weight is that weight only once. When the trailer is totally empty. THs are tough as they can be loaded in so many ways with different toys.

X2 Youroo!!
Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

So here is a cool way to load your rig and fine tune the tongue weight.

The only "rule" I know of is (for safe handling) the tongue weight MUST fall between 9% and 14% of the total loaded camper weight.

Too light on the tongue, the trailer will want to swap ends during braking and sway will be horrible; too heavy and you will not be able to steer (without WD) and with WD you will most likely overload the front axle.

So, how to get the 12.5% of camper weight (ideal) you are looking for?

Use a bathroom scale, a 4x4 6 foot long, 2 short steel pipes, a concrete landscaping block the height of your scale, and a calculator.

By setting up the improvised tongue scale shown, you can move the bike around to see how it effects your ultimate load ratio.

If you use the 1 foot to the Paver and 3 feet to the scale, you would multiply the scale weight by 4. So if the scale reads 250 pounds your tongue weight is 1000 pounds.

You can also buy a tire scale. One Weigh Electronic Wheel Scale System - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage...Set,26410.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tonguescale.gif
Views:	158
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	55491  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #9

Herk,what happened to the (10-15%) T/W? Youroo!!
Old 06-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Herk,what happened to the (10-15%) T/W? Youroo!!
The "rule" varies by web site.
They ALL seem to agree 12-13% is "optimum," so that is what I use (12.5%).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight