Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #1

Smile Condensation at Lake Watauga

Just returned from a trip to Watauga Lake, Tennessee, where we camped in a friend's yard. Absolutely beautiful!

Temps dropped into the high 30's at night and we used the gas heater as he did not have enough electrical service to run the A/C heater. Gas heater worked well but I noticed a lot of condensation between the wall and the bed, kind of like when you are in a tent and touch the walls. I didn't find this anywhere else.

This is not a big issue as I was "informed" we will not be camping in this weather much. I am curious as to why this happened. The walls of my Work and Play are 3/4 inch plywood covered by fiberglass on the outside and wall covering on the inside. Hard to believe moisture past through the walls. Being from Florida I don't know if this is common in cold areas?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Site Team

it's very common with new owners who close everything up when it's cold.
an RV is not like a house, that you have to button everything up, like a submarine.
you need to allow for air movement. crack a window and vent so that air can move.
with a propane furnace and humans breathing out moist air, condensation will form if air can't move.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

Agreed! Moisture of any kind is not your friend! Simply crack a ceiling vent or a window just a bit and condensation will be eliminated. We camped last week with friends and they didn't get the "memo" on this (they don't own a FR brand). All of their windows were steamed up and ours were dry as can be.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #4

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.