Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

Converter issue...

I have a 30 WPT. Went to plug it in to get the fridge cold for this weekend and tripped a breaker. Breaker is marked "refer" but after digging around I found the converter was wired into it also. Pulled each one and only tripped with converter. I have had the WP since Aug and just used it in March. Do they just go out? Anyone know if there is another way to test it? CW wants the whole trailer to check the converter. There goes the bike rally this weekend!
ford-hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford-hd
I have a 30 WPT. Went to plug it in to get the fridge cold for this weekend and tripped a breaker. Breaker is marked "refer" but after digging around I found the converter was wired into it also. Pulled each one and only tripped with converter. I have had the WP since Aug and just used it in March. Do they just go out? Anyone know if there is another way to test it? CW wants the whole trailer to check the converter. There goes the bike rally this weekend!
Gas side of fridge is 12v
Electric side is 110v

That's why its wired that way.
If 110 is tripping does gas side work?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #3

Not seeing that! Fridge works just fine plugged into another outlet or when I remove the converter wire from the loop. It has nothing to do with the refer at that junction. Its just a double up on a single pole to feed each unit.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford-hd View Post
Not seeing that! Fridge works just fine plugged into another outlet or when I remove the converter wire from the loop. It has nothing to do with the refer at that junction. Its just a double up on a single pole to feed each unit.
So, the fridge works fine if it is the only thing on the circuit and the converter works fine when it is the only thing on the circuit right?

Have you considered moving one or the other to a less heavily used breaker?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

it trips with just the converter. It's bad! I was wondering if anyone else had issues. Just wonder what caused it to give out.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford-hd View Post
it trips with just the converter. It's bad! I was wondering if anyone else had issues. Just wonder what caused it to give out.
What model converter do you have?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I don't believe its bad .
You have an over load or a bad breaker.
Converter has nothing to do with tripping your breaker.
Your converter takes 110 and switches it to 12 volt
Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #8

It has to be bad. There is only two things on the breaker. Refer outlet and converter. Disconnect converter and it works fine. Plugged power tools into the outlet no problem. Disconnect refer and only leave converter hooked up, trips instantly. No idea what brand it's screwed to the electrical panel base. I figure I would let them deal with tearing it apart for warranty purposes.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
It has to be bad. There is only two things on the breaker. Refer outlet and converter. Disconnect converter and it works fine. Plugged power tools into the outlet no problem. Disconnect refer and only leave converter hooked up, trips instantly. No idea what brand it's screwed to the electrical panel base. I figure I would let them deal with tearing it apart for warranty purposes.
Ok now I see or comprehend what your saying.
I was confused.
On the front panel of you converter /
Distribution panel should have a brand.
Maybe wfco?
If it is there cheap junk.
Request a progressive dynamics

Tags
led pad