Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #1

Dometic LW3000 generator-just got one

Hello all. After much research and thinking, I just purchased a Dometic LW 3000 generator. I purchased it locally for right at $1,000 out the door. Cheaper on the Internet but this shop has been really helpful.

I am not sure how often I will use and I am thinking just occasionally stopping at Walmart and such. Thought about the Honda or Yamaha but I know I could not justify the cost for the infrequent use.

As I write this it is running with the air conditioner on max and the
TV on and it is working great. As soon as I tried adding the microwave it went to overload, just as I was told it would.

Started right up after adding gas and oil. The manual had me concerned as it said "do NOT use fuel contains alcohol", well heck, in Florida all our gas has ethanol in it. Told just to use an ethanol treatment such as Stabil.

Seems to run well. A little louder than I thought but not terrible. I would not use it is campground at night, but that's not why I bought it. For the money it seems like a good deal. Will keep you posted.

Mark

Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

keep us updated on how it's doing.
the Dometic is a re-branded Magna. you'll find the same thing in different colors and brand name.
Magna was the first name they came with and the factory started making them under other names.

i might sell my Honda 2000 and get one of these, in the near future.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
keep us updated on how it's doing.
the Dometic is a re-branded Magna. you'll find the same thing in different colors and brand name.
Magna was the first name they came with and the factory started making them under other names.

i might sell my Honda 2000 and get one of these, in the near future.
Dan , what other brand does Magna brand ?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Dan , what other brand does Magna brand ?
i forget the name of the factory in China but Magna was their first entry in the U.S. market. sold on Ebay and in mail-order catalogs.
but i've seen them with different names but basically the same exact generator.
Cono, XG, Big Jack, Powerease to name a few.
check out Ebay for a 3000w or 2600w generator and you'll see the same one in different colors and brands.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i forget the name of the factory in China but Magna was their first entry in the U.S. market. sold on Ebay and in mail-order catalogs.
but i've seen them with different names but basically the same exact generator.
Cono, XG, Big Jack, Powerease to name a few.
check out Ebay for a 3000w or 2600w generator and you'll see the same one in different colors and brands.
thank you !
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #6

Mark, just Stabil isn't good enough. You have to buy an ethanol stabilizer that slows the separation. Any auto parts or home hardware store has it. Try your local marina for real gas. Ethanol has torn up so many boat motors most only sell real gas. More expensive but worth the costs of repairs. My advice run it dry when your done.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #7

Ford-HD. Actually I added Stabil for ethanol. In the Road Glide and boat I use Startron. Not sure which is better. And running it dry makes sense.
An outboard marine mechanic friend loves ethanol. He figures it worth about $2,000 a month in work for him.

Thanks, Mark
Old 04-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #8

Lol! I bet he does. I'm in the CG and we are mandated to buy 87 octane. GSA gets the benefit but we pay for the repairs and maintenance. I have a good size genie for hurricanes and my RV. I have always pulled the fuel line, drained the tank and let it run dry. It's 7 years old and still starts on the first pull. I'm sure with congress ending the tax breaks on ethanol producers we will see more stations selling real gas.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #9

How would you describe the noise level?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #10

I was able to stand right next to it and have a cell phone conversation. When the a/c compressor was not on it was very quiet. Under load, louder but that was when I was on phone, so not bad. Inside my camper I could not hear it at all over the a/c.
So I have to say it is probably louder than a Honda/Yamaha, but not bad for want I want it for.