Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #1

Forest River - Customer Service?

I received the email message quoted below from FR yesterday. The message does not come across to me as particularly "customer friendly" - its my first email to FR about this unit -

"First of all, the items you have requested have been shipped to your dealer. As for the tool for installing the bolts, this tool will be kept by the dealership. We do not ship them to retail customers for any reason. any issue with the bolts must be addressed by a dealership. This is for customer security reasons.
The installation to the bed and cot will be either taken care of or explained to you by the dealer.

Please contact your dealer if you should have any further questions."

Thanks Duane C.

Sounds like under this FR policy, only the "crooks/thieves" will have the proper star key to remove the ramp doors - somewhat like "gun control" in which case only the criminals will have guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The items were requested before July 12 and have not yet been received. I have been using the unit with 2 bolts missing from the rear ramp door hinges. Perhaps someone on this forum can tell me the size tamper resistant star key I need for the bolts used to attach the hinges for the ramp door to the "Take It EZ" units and a probable source of these keys????

Thanks,
Gene
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'd contact a Snap-On/Mac/Matco tool salesman or a decent industrial tool shop. They should have what you're looking for. If you can't take the bolt to show them. Try taking a couple of pictures & getting dimensions. If you know the size of the bolt & the person, knows their stuff, they should be able to tell you what you need.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you are talking about theft deterrent TORX bolts, the ones with the pin in the middle, Sears sells bits for those. Don't pay the high prices of MAC/SNAP-ON. Can't tell you the size because I don't have a trailer like yours, sorry. Would guess T-40, up to T-55. (they come in increments of 5, so 40, 45, 50, 55......etc.)
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #4

X2 what Windrider said. FR does not make thier own tools, they are available for you to purchase elsewhere, you just have to know where.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

Here's the link to the Craftsman tamper proof Torx drivers:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...&blockType=L28

I normally don't think of Sears & tools as don't usally shop for tools there. Usually it's Crappy Tire or a specialty shop in town.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #6

Windrider

How are the hinges for your ramp door attached? I'm guessing FR used the same or similar tamper proof torx bolts on your unit??? My dealer [Ledfords in Greer, SC] has a number of these units and one similar to yours. The dealer should be calling me today to come down and get the bolts put on my ramp door and to pick up a sofa and cot combo for my unit.
I'm going to sears to get the bits for the tamper proof torx.
Thanks Guys!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

If you have a harbour freight in your area or access to Northern Tools you can get any tools you ever need for less than Sears will sell it for.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quick way to get the size for comparison. Take a piece of paper, place over the bolt head and lightly move a pencil over the bolt head back and forth. It works best at an angle.The imprint left will be the size you are looking for.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #9

Good luck on getting the parts. They sent me this on 8/3/10 "she is no longer here" Referring to the Parts Administrator at Forest River Inc.

2007 FOREST RIVER SURVEYOR 235RS
Good news guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work and play