Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Found water inside garage

Last night I decided to look in our new trailer and found some water drops on the garage floor after a very hard rain fall. Cleaned up the water inside and did some investigation on the outside and found the sealant in one of the corners pulled away. Already repaired. I guess the warning sticker on the side mentioning to check all seals every 90 days must be adhered to.

I went around the whole trailer a verified sealant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	96755  
sstuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #2

Here is a photo of the warning sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5512.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	96761  
sstuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:59 PM   #3

An open admission by the manufacturer that they are putting substandard engineering and or materials in the construction of these trailers.

Would you purchase a Chevrolet Impala, or a Ford Fusion, or Toyota Camry if the manufacturer put the same sticker on the window of the car and considered acceptable leakage around the windshield or side windows?
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

When I got my WnP, I went around and inspected all the "million mile" bolts and sealant. I ended up tightening quite a few and touching up some seams.

Mine came from AZ to MT, I imagine vibration on these bolts is something to check yearly.

Some of the seams I fixed looked as if the sealant didn't adhere to the body panel well. 2 were just gaps from factory. I plan to check the seals yearly as well as the window frames and sidewall will expand and contract at different rates and can be a cause if seal failure. I personally believe the label is there because even a small leak can cause serious issues with our FRP sidewalls compared to composite or fiberglass.

One thing of note, WnP or campers in general are not the only manufacturers to experience water leaks around seals. RAM and Ford trucks have had water leak issues around the 3rd brake light for years, yet nothing has been done proactively to correct the problem.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyerjf View Post
An open admission by the manufacturer that they are putting substandard engineering and or materials in the construction of these trailers.

Would you purchase a Chevrolet Impala, or a Ford Fusion, or Toyota Camry if the manufacturer put the same sticker on the window of the car and considered acceptable leakage around the windshield or side windows?
Guess you've never owned a Corvette?

Is it unrealistic to compare being able to build a sealed up car to a home on wheels that is subjected to lots of twising and shaking?

While we are comparing, how comfortable is your Ford Fusion (for example) at sleeping 6 or more and how big is the holding tanks. I can only imagine how well it would haul two full dressers in the trunk.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #6

My 3 Studebakers all leak. My father's brand new 1957 Studebaker Scotsman leaked. Sort of an apples and oranges thing. Comparing the use and purpose and design parameters of a Corvette to a Work and Play trailer is a stretch.
The reason for the decal is simple. Every one of those leaks will result in rotting of the FRP wall in that area, the Achilles Heel of these units. I have been living full time in a 2008 34FK for 3 years, will gladly show you the hidden rot all over this trailer.
By putting the decal on, the manufacturer simply puts the responsibility on the owner
"You didn't maintain it properly, your fault"
A $.10 sticker sure beats $1000's in engineering and per unit costs.
In the interest of disclosure the sticker should read:

"Any water leakage in this area will result in wood deterioration and subsequent loss of resale value"
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water