Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

Getting 18ec ready for Sturgis...

gonna see if we can squeeze two fullsize Harley baggers inside......one up front, one in rear......prob have to stagger them.....installed Firestone airbags on the Silverado 1500 two weeks ago....made a big difference in leveling the truck on last weeks camping trip....mounted ball for Camco swaybar today....dry camping with no electric or water......taking 2000w generator and charger to keep house battery topped off for lights and pump....campground does have water fill available so I don't have to drag 900+ lbs of water with me.....1st time taking a toyhauler out there.....all the other trips were with a converted cargo trailer......
capt4903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

Added a set of new 24" BAL scissor jacks left over from cargo trailer project....mounted them in front of axles, mid point of trailer.....what a big difference.....really stabilized camper.......
Old 07-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #3

Don't forget to continually check the "health" of the bikes in the back as the tie down straps tend to stretch. Be safe and have fun.
sstuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #4

got both Harley's loaded....had to angle the one in rear.....think I'm going to add another tie-down in driver side rear of hauler.....

yep, I usually check tie-down straps at each fuel stop....

checked lug nuts today....gonna crawl under trailer tomorrow and check shackles and other suspension bolts.....

4 days until blast off!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #5

How did it go? We were going to go down there until we saw early pics and videos on social media and decided to skip it this year to avoid the congestion.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #6

very, very busy everywhere......our campground was the fullest I've seen it in the 10 years there.....Sturgis in town was packed....only stopped in a couple of times....way too many people......all in all, a great trip.....put 928 miles on the scooters cruising the roads.....

4 people in our group had never been out there, so a big adventure for them....
Old 08-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Have a great time! Stay safe!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt4903 View Post
very, very busy everywhere......our campground was the fullest I've seen it in the 10 years there.....Sturgis in town was packed....only stopped in a couple of times....way too many people......all in all, a great trip.....put 928 miles on the scooters cruising the roads.....

4 people in our group had never been out there, so a big adventure for them....
What campground? We stay north of town at cottonwood creek campground. It's a bit of an inconvenience being so far north, but the beer is cheap and just as cold and it's pretty quiet in the wee hours.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #9

I've always stayed at Hog Heaven.....west of the motocross track and hill climb.....west Sturgis exit, along the frontage road.....very quiet campground....