Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 03:35 AM   #1

Grey tank won't drain

We are 7 weeks into our 12 week trip and now staying in the Oasis RV Resort in Las Vegas. Man, It is HOT!!! And Wow, it sure did rain today. I would avoid this place this time of year if grand babies weren't here.

Today I noticed my grey tank is not draining at all. The valve is open and working properly but no water is coming out. The tank is 3/4 full. The last time I drained it I noticed it was slowing down, today nothing.

I am thinking of buying a snake since tank is only about 24 inches and two turns from opening. Thought about Drano but I am reluctant to pour that into tank.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Mark
Old 09-09-2014, 04:07 AM   #2

I wouldn't use Drano either. If you have to snake it, I wouldn't want Drano coming out after the possible clog is removed. Its always possible that the valve is not opening properly, its just a slide thingy. If you put that snake in, you may be able to tell quickly if that slide didn't open. Good thing its the grey tank, and good luck.
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #3

Got it fixed. After running a snake through the gray valve up into the tank, removing the gray valve and running a snake into the tank and running my flexible wand cleaner into the tank very little came out. I then came to realize that maybe the tank and valve are not the problem but the gauge. Although the gauge read 3/4 the tank was in fact empty. I then added some dish dawn detergent and water and now the gauge is back to empty.

Moral of the story, don't try to figure this stuff out late at night when you are tired and aggravated.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Got it fixed. After running a snake through the gray valve up into the tank, removing the gray valve and running a snake into the tank and running my flexible wand cleaner into the tank very little came out. I then came to realize that maybe the tank and valve are not the problem but the gauge. Although the gauge read 3/4 the tank was in fact empty. I then added some dish dawn detergent and water and now the gauge is back to empty.

Moral of the story, don't try to figure this stuff out late at night when you are tired and aggravated.
And never rely on factory tank sensors to be accurate.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #5

So true Turbs. One trick would have been to run the sink faucet and look at the grey drain to see if stuff was running out. If you found it flowing then it is an indicator that the sensor is fouled.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would do a search on frf for "geo method "
Try that in your grey tank.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote