Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #1

has anyone had to replace exterior walls

Just wondering if anyone has had to replace an exterior wall. I watched the video on the Work and Play construction and it appears the roof would have to be removed completely.

The only reason Im asking is I bought a 38 ft fifth wheel unit last year and love it. Its a 2006 model that I picked it up cheap at 11 grand. Actually as steal I thought considering that a buddy of mine just bought a 44 ft and paid 50 grand. But anyway, my walls, both of them, are bowing in. Its very evident when looking at it either inside or out. My fear is if I have to replace the exterior walls, its practically rebuilding the entire trailer and Im afraid it will cost more than what I paid for the unit

Any thoughts?
Blue Oval 105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Team

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lay-52179.html
might wanna read this thread. It dont answer your question of removing walls, but I dont think your alone with this problem.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #3

I have not heard of bowed exterior walls. Were they bowed when you bought it? Any idea what caused it? Take a moisture meter and poke around wth it and see if you have any failure in the siding.

I cant guess what has caused this other than moisture, if it's not that noticable I would live with it because the cost to fix would be more than the trailer is worth..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #4

Now you know why it was so cheap. The factory routinely replaces walls on units under warrantee. If the unit is less than 2 years old it might be cost effective for them at the plant with all the available equipment, but at least my dealer said no way it can be done in the field. The thread that is linked to earlier tells part of the story. How bad your rot is easily determined. Remove the inside 2" trim from the top of the inside walls. If it is black underneath you have a problem. How much of the wall is involved determines whether or not it is repairable.
beyerjf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior