Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #31

nadjap.
I have a 2011 WPT30WR and I pull it with a 2006 Chevrolet 2500HD. I have the Drawtite 12K weight distribution hitch and cam sway system. When I first used TH the weight distribution hitch was not a lot of help due to the rear suspension. I carry approximately 2200 lbs. in the garage area. There was a lot of bounce because of the weight on the rear suspension.
First I purchased a class V 16k hitch with 1.6k TW (GM had problems with hitches in 2004 to 2007, they break) from etrailer.com, Air Lift 5000 air bags and a remote control, and new front torsion bar keys to level the truck all from Amazon (these were the cheapest places to get both). Best thing I could have done. Took 550 mile trip after installing all and it rode great. Make sure your tires are inflated to the correct air pressure marked on your tires.
Without the air bags my truck was near it's limit with the weight. With the air bags I believe my trucks suspension works great and could hold more weight (Of course it's great to have a brother who is a engineer for GM).
Good luck and happy trailering,

Old 05-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Time View Post
With the air bags I believe my trucks suspension works great and could hold more weight (Of course it's great to have a brother who is a engineer for GM). Good luck and happy trailering,
Tom,
Check with your brother and he will confirm that air bags and helper springs do not increase your truck's GVWR. In 99% of the cases, GVWR is based on frame strength; not suspension.
Herk

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #33

Herk,
Actually it depends on three things. First is the frame, second is the suspension and third is the powertrain.
The frame has to be strong enough to hold all the powertrain components and suspension when a load is applied, and strong enough to and pull the weight when power is applied. The suspension has to be strong enough to support the load and (GVCW). The powertrain has to have the power, torque, axle strength along with gear ratio to pull the load along a desired path. With the same truck but gas vs. diesel, the truck with the diesel engine and heavy duty powertrain has a higher GVCWR (per owners manual and GM web site).
I have worked on my friends 2005 Chevrolet 3500 SRW truck and the frame on it looks to both of us as the same. I could not see any difference except for the beefier suspension with the helper springs and heavier rear axle.
As for the engineer he said that the frames on the GM trucks can safely take a heavier load then the manual states. However he does not recommend going over the GVWR/GVCWR due to liability issues.
As for me, I am still within my GVCWR and do not ever plan to go over it!!! Also, the up grades I have done just makes the platform more stable.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #34
Site Team - Lou

There is no difference between my 2008 2500HD and the 2010 2500HD except they went from a "C" frame in 2008 and a "boxed" frame in 2010. That change added 1000 pounds to the GVWR of the 2500HD.

I was not talking about the tow rating (power train - note that tow ratings are almost the same across a manufacturer's line) or the payload. (some suspension but mostly frame rating); just the GVWR which is based on the lowest weight rated component that is used in the construction of the truck.
I don't care if it is the driver's seat that is that component (JUST KIDDING!), the truck engineers seem to think that what ever that component is, it is important not to exceed it.

I would like to see a letter from the manufacturer that says exceeding the GVWR is "OK" for some folks who can handle it; but not everybody else.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote