Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

How or where- TV for 18EC

Strange but true, TV outlet is on side wall of refrigerator facing rearward into small clothes hanging area. Has anyone mounted a TV in the 18EC? If so I am open to any ideas. There are no open spaces or wall except side wall behind hanging clothes. Poor planning or engineering once again by Forest River. Only thought is to put a swing arm on rear facing side of refrigerator but would have to remove refer to add backing plate to thin wall. Help!

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #2

I mounted mine above the dining table on a swing arm mount that I can see at the table or I turn so I can watch in bed. I ran the cable and electric in a surface mounted channel and it all works great. I used a 38 inch flat screen.

To mount I used a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and wood screws into the wall and then screwed the TV bracket into the plywood. I then screwed some two Velcro strips in to the wall and wrap that around the TV to secure when traveling. I have put around 11,000 miles with this system with no problems.

Agreed, that the back corner was a dumb place to put the connections. I will be in the camper on July 10 if you want photos. Let me know.

Mark
Old 06-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I mounted mine above the dining table on a swing arm mount that I can see at the table or I turn so I can watch in bed. I ran the cable and electric in a surface mounted channel and it all works great. I used a 38 inch flat screen.

To mount I used a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and wood screws into the wall and then screwed the TV bracket into the plywood. I then screwed some two Velcro strips in to the wall and wrap that around the TV to secure when traveling. I have put around 11,000 miles with this system with no problems.

Agreed, that the back corner was a dumb place to put the connections. I will be in the camper on July 10 if you want photos. Let me know.

Mark
Would definately like to see the pictures. Still not quite sure where you mounted the TV. Surface mounted channel would work. Self sticking channel I would suppose.

Not off to a good start with Forest River. Purchased in Sherman Texas. Have not been able to leave yet with four failures of the refrigerator. On my fifth and I have not left Tucson yet! Cost me $460 to get the chock mounted for the motorcycle due to OSB chip board and water tank location. Wife canceled out for the summer and bought airline tickets now for our summer travels. Seattle, Oregon, Canada and Montana. Oh well maybe next summer.

Thanks for your reply, Jack
Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post

Mark
What part of the country are you from Mark? I have a 2013 GMC Yukon Denali and pulling the 18EC is about all it wants. Pulling here in the heat and mountains is somewhat taxing. It has a tendancy to overheat both transmission and engine. Usually tow at 60mph. I do have the bulbus front end but do not think it helps much. These things are heavy! I see you tow with a Ford 150 ecoboost. Is that working for you?

Jack
Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #5

Jack. TV is mounted just above window.

Sorry to hear all the issues you are having. We had a broken leaf spring in Conway , Arkansas, last summer and that cost us 4 days. But I have to say that Forest River treated us very fair. I think once you work out issues you will enjoy it.

I live in south Florida but most of our camping is out west. Our grand kids live in Las Vegas, so every trip we go on, regardless of location, is via Las Vegas. When our twins were born in March we drove out and then put my truck and camper in storage. We are flying back out next Tuesday and headed up to Glacier Nat Park and onward.

18ec is heavy. Weighed it loaded with motorcycle and everything and came in at just over 7,500 lbs. Last summer we went through South Dakota and Colorado mountains with no issues. Ecoboost, so far, has not minded towing it. Sweet spot seems to be 60-63 mph. Pulls great and as an added bonus, with the 26 gallon tank and 10 only mpg at best, I get to see many beautiful gas stations along the way.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #6

Thanks for your replies Mark and Joanne. If ever close to Tucson let us know and we will show you around. Camille is from Jacksonville FL and I am from Greeley CO.

Enjoy your trip to Glacier. Watch out for Bears at night!

Jack