Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #61
Georgia Rally Coordinator

X 3 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 06-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #62
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Someone hit the nail on the head a few pages back... the OP has soured on this rig and no matter what we say, or what could get fixed, they simply no longer want this unit.

The OP has complained about the roof in different threads over the course of the last several months and it is apparent they will never be happy unless the world's environment decides to change and it never rains again.

It was also said earlier there are two choices... keep it or get rid of it.
The OP is is going to have to pick one and move on.

R/Ving is about enjoying the experience.
Somehow, they are going to have to find a way for that to happen or they may as well forget about owning an R/V.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 06-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
This thread made it all the way to post #52 before there was any discussion of a leak and OP said there is none. A flat roof that does not drain completely is not a design flaw. We all shop in stores every day that have flat roofs that may hold water. The fact that the caulk may fail eventually and it will leak is true of to every RV out there. That is why you are encouraged to inspect all caulk regularly. The weather and movement is tough on RV seals ( caulk). Your comment about not being a seamless roof is incorrect. There is no RV (that I know of) at any price where the entire shell is one piece ( no seams). There are no seams in your roof. You bought this RV to enjoy and have fun. The water on the roof should not prevent you from doing that.
Slight misunderstanding here, but can not speak for all - My TT had a gutter along the sides to catch and drain water to the rear. My RV has built up caulking along the sides, but after it drains to the rear, there are openings with a diverter to move the water flow away from the RV sides. I am going to extend theses as they do not do it enough out - sides still get water.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
This thread made it all the way to post #52 before there was any discussion of a leak and OP said there is none. A flat roof that does not drain completely is not a design flaw. We all shop in stores every day that have flat roofs that may hold water. The fact that the caulk may fail eventually and it will leak is true of to every RV out there. That is why you are encouraged to inspect all caulk regularly. The weather and movement is tough on RV seals ( caulk). Your comment about not being a seamless roof is incorrect. There is no RV (that I know of) at any price where the entire shell is one piece ( no seams). There are no seams in your roof. You bought this RV to enjoy and have fun. The water on the roof should not prevent you from doing that.
I cannot stress with enough emphasis, how important it is to regularly maintain ALL your seals, not just the roof and inspect ALL the seals at least bi-annually and reseal any compromised areas with the appropriate sealing caulk, whether it's Dicor or Eternabond or Sikaflex.

It states that in every owners manual but it does not stress the importance of a regular and regimented inspection.

The one thing that will assuredly destroy your RV is water intrusion and the resulting rot and mold growth and if left unchecked, the eventual destruction of the RV not even taking into account the mold spores floating around inside that could kill you are at least make you sick.

There are a few relative fool proof ways to determine if your seals are leaking and recaulking is necessary but actually doing a careful visual inspection of every inch of seal is the easiest way, but you have to do it to determine if you have a leak.. Before it's too late for your RV.

While neither here nor there on this thread, it's something every owner needs to to, from a pop-up to a diesel pusher to a Super C. They all have caulked seams and they all can leak.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #65

I work in the building industry and a flat roof (by international building code) cannot be less than 1/4 inch per foot or have water remaining 24 hours after rain. We were told seamless roof not seamless camper. There is a seam 6 inches in from the perimeter. 25 feet long, 8 wide = 66 feet of seam. All with water standing against it. Add in the a.c. and roof vents and you are pushing 90 feet. If there is another camper made that has a flat roof that holds water I would be thrilled to hear about it.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned tax payer View Post
I work in the building industry and a flat roof (by international building code) cannot be less than 1/4 inch per foot or have water remaining 24 hours after rain. We were told seamless roof not seamless camper. There is a seam 6 inches in from the perimeter. 25 feet long, 8 wide = 66 feet of seam. All with water standing against it. Add in the a.c. and roof vents and you are pushing 90 feet. If there is another camper made that has a flat roof that holds water I would be thrilled to hear about it.

Your camper is not a building.

Is there some issue you are still trying to figure out, or just venting?

Not sure there is anything else to recommend that hasn't already been said.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:10 PM   #67

Putting a fabric cover over a metal roof seems like I am regressing, trust me the Jack will not go high enough for the water to drain off. regardless of all that we use the camper as a spare guest bedroom and I refuse to level it everytime it rains. Put your money where your mouth is, I have a 25wab 2016 for $18,000
Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 AM   #68

I'd like to change my response to: sell it, take the loss and move on with your life.

Life is too short to be wasting time "vetching" on such a matter.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
Old 06-15-2017, 07:34 AM   #69
Site Team

The OP has stated they are selling the trailer in post #67. There is nothing else the membership can do at this point to help the OP and anything further is pointless and a waste of our members time. This thread is being closed.

The site team wants to thank everyone for taking time out of their lives to try to help. This is what our great Do-It-Yourself forums are all about.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread