Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

Ice on 25WAB Work and play roof

My 25WAB holds water on the roof, as deep as 2". I am about to leave Montana and head to Las Vegas, I am concerned that the ice will come loose when I get to a warmer area and hit a vent or the AC unit. Or worse yet hit the windshield of a car following me. Short of finding a heated shop and sweeping it off after it thaws I am out of Ideas. The roof is to thin to break the ice and pull it off. Here is a link to the water on the roof.

Concerned tax payer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

Hello from MT. Maybe crank up the heat inside. Maybe it will melt enough to lift the ice off. In the future, park it high in the front and/or invest in a cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #3

Recently took my Work and Play 25WAB into Pierce RV in Billings Montana by request of Chaz Hood of W&P over concerns of ponding water on the roof, they had Adam Cates from W&P look at the roof, he said it should not hold water like it does and that he would get with Chaz Hood and get a response, he said it would probably need to go to the factory to get a re roof. so far Chaz has been a no show. These Campers are advertised as a one piece roof, they are not, they have caulking around the perimeter of the roof and there is water standing against most of it. Close to 100 feet of submerged caulking on my 25WAB. You will never convince me the roof should hold water!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1N4A9198.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	132747   Click image for larger version

Name:	1N4A9204.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	132748   Click image for larger version

Name:	1N4A9218.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	132749   Click image for larger version

Name:	1N4A9230.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	132750   Click image for larger version

Name:	1N4A9266.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	132751  

Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #4

Ice on 25WAB Work and play roof

:deadhorse
Old 03-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #5

Dicor is waterproof and cures in 30 days. Why not sell your unit and move on instead of beating W&P. Forest river says to inspect the roof and reseal with Dicor every other year. 2tubes Dicor about $20.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #6

My guess is he doesn't want to take the hit on depreciation and thinks complaining about it will get him bought out of it.

If he looks his roof is one piece of aluminum sheeting unlike many roofs of similar construction where there is a seam every 4'.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Dicor is waterproof and cures in 30 days. Why not sell your unit and move on instead of beating W&P. Forest river says to inspect the roof and reseal with Dicor every other year. 2tubes Dicor about $20.
JSO there is close to 100 feet of caulking on the roof,up to 5" wide and 3/4" thick my estimation is 2.6 cubic feet of caulking, 18.74 gallons or 229 tubes of caulking, you were a little short at two tubes, one would guess the factory used enuf? 229 tubes at $10.00 is $2,290.00, plus labor to remove old caulk.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1N4A2216.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	132813   Click image for larger version

Name:	1N4A2212.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	132814   Click image for larger version

Name:	1N4A2208.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	132815   Click image for larger version

Name:	1N4A2206.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	132816   Click image for larger version

Name:	1N4A2203.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	132817  

Old 03-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #8

I have no dog in this fight....

This should have been caught in PDI...unless it got that way though ??? failure

That doesn't look right to me either.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #9

That's how they are.

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	132834
Old 03-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #10

I wish mine would have been sealed that good from the factory.
I just redone my seal it took me 8 tubes.
My trailer is 28 ft long.
Cajun Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #11

If he took as much time fixing a few "real" problems as he did complaining, whining and looking for what might happen he would not have any problems at all! He did the same whining with the front cap attachments when all it takes is adjusting the swell pins.

I have had two Work and Play toy haulers and quite happy with them both. My advice is to sell the damn thing and let the rest of us enjoy ours without all the negative and uninformed complaints from you. I am sure you have done this with everything you have owned. Your only annoying the rest of us with all you complaining about a problem that has not happened and probably never will.
You have not had a leak nor have the rest of us so get over it, stop complaining and sell it.

Jack
l
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #12

448 views on this thread, alone well over 10,000 views just on this website, two negative commentators out of over 10,000 views I believe you would be in the minority, jaherbst.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #13

How many have stated they have the same issue and find it unacceptable?

How many clicked the thread thinking it was an actual problem?

How many just clicked it because that is what they do with the new posts on the forums they follow?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
How many have stated they have the same issue and find it unacceptable?

How many clicked the thread thinking it was an actual problem?

How many just clicked it because that is what they do with the new posts on the forums they follow?
Just as many have said positive things as negative things, dead even. Every time jaherbst makes a post you make a post within a couple minutes , and you're singing the Praises of the head warranty person at work and play, do you work for Forest River?
Old 03-26-2017, 10:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned tax payer View Post
448 views on this thread, alone well over 10,000 views just on this website, two negative commentators out of over 10,000 views I believe you would be in the minority, jaherbst.
Its not how many viewed it but if it moved someone enough to make a comment. Looks like about 10 comments out of 448. Doing the math that would be a dismal amount who even cared!

Why are you so bent on destroying the Work and Play reputation when you have not even had a leak. A cartoon character who was an Alligator named Pogo Pog said -
"'I have discovered the enemy and he is within".

This is you in a nutshell! Go trolling on another site or seek professional help soon. Anyone who makes up problems and tries to promote them is in serious trouble. Seriously, you have a problem and need help soon.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Its not how many viewed it but if it moved someone enough to make a comment. Looks like about 10 comments out of 448. Doing the math that would be a dismal amount who even cared!

Why are you so bent on destroying the Work and Play reputation when you have not even had a leak. A cartoon character who was an Alligator named Pogo Pog said -
"'I have discovered the enemy and he is within".

This is you in a nutshell! Go trolling on another site or seek professional help soon. Anyone who makes up problems and tries to promote them is in serious trouble. Seriously, you have a problem and need help soon.

Jack
Hello Jack. Send me a picture of another modern structure that humans sleep in that is built to hold water on the roof ,and I will let it go. Cargo trailers are not insulated so a leak will show up sooner than mold in the insulation of a camper.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:30 AM   #17

As usual it's the buyers fault LOL.

A flat roof that holds water on an RV is nothing more than piss poor design and engineering.

We had an Aerolite hybrid that had a flat roof, and would hold standing water due to the sealant build up around the perimeter trim. What happens is when that water freezes and thaws it starts lifting the sealant a little more every time. Its not a matter of if it's going to leak it's a matter of when. Add to that with standing water it's going to find it's way in that if the roof was crowned it may not have, such as if you have a pinhole somewhere.

That Aerolite was the best rig we have owned. Its only drawback was the flat roof which was the reason we dumped it.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

A flat roof that holds water on an RV is nothing more than piss poor design and engineering.

We had an Aerolite hybrid that had a flat roof, and would hold standing water due to the sealant build up around the perimeter trim. What happens is when that water freezes and thaws it starts lifting the sealant a little more every time. Its not a matter of if it's going to leak it's a matter of when. Add to that with standing water it's going to find it's way in that if the roof was crowned it may not have, such as if you have a pinhole somewhere.

That Aerolite was the best rig we have owned. Its only drawback was the flat roof which was the reason we dumped it.
Thanks for explaining how every time the birdbath freezes it will lift the caulking a little more. I knew when the fuel tank fill opening was lower than the gas tank that I was in trouble. Who ever hooked up the tank knew it was wrong and did it anyway.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

It is when the manufacturer has been building them like this for years and has never hidden the fact that this is how the are constructed. There is even a video detailing the build process that clearly shows the roof and how they seal it.

It is buyers remorse for not doing due diligence before spending tens of thousands of dollars.

IMHO the use of FRP is a bigger issue then the roof construction. Both just require more preventive maintenance than your typical RV for the trade off of cargo trailer like construction and strength.

Tags
roo, roof, work and play