Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

Info/reviews on older work and play models

I have a 2015 keystone outback front toy hauler that is junk
To be fair i think all the new rv’s are junk

In the next year or 2 will sell this and wanted to do a cargo conversion set up, but then i came across these trailers

I will either do a conversion or buy something like a 2007-2008 model of this work and play or a similar tough 20ft toy hauler
Did any other companies make similar toy haulers to these?

Would be thankful for any advice on which models are tougher, etc
This trailer is used for work and pulled a lot during the winters in southern az, usually is parked but used all summer in northern az

These are all metal roofs right? But none are walkable?
I will be doing a decent size solar set up on the roof

Only other thing is i only haul bicycles in it so a little concerned on having too much tongue weight, are the fresh water tank etc over the axles or on the front end?

Thank you for any opinions/advice you can give
cvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:07 AM   #2

i like the 21UL model with the front bed set up
this floorplan would be the most usable for me, or something similar

any others in the 20-23ft range that have similar floor plans?

the tongue weight is also good since i dont have heavy machines in the back to counter it

but this UL means ultralight so the trailer is not as stoutly made? is this correct?

i am looking at years 2010 and under, not sure if there are a lot of differences between those years or not
will probably take me a year to find one, there are not many around

does any other company make trailers similar to work and play units

thank you
Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #3

Ours is a 2007 W&P 34RL, 38' fifth wheel toy hauler. My roof is one sheet of aluminum and I walk on it quite often?

The only real downside to these is the fading of the exterior gel coat finish. It takes regular maintenance to keep them looking nice.

I haul everything from my Harley / dirt bikes / kayaks / mountain bikes.

My mountain bikes hang from the ramp door, inside the garage.

I did add a second A/C unit to mine and have done several other upgrades as my wife and I decide to.

Someday I plan to add solar to mine as well, but that is a few years away.

Check out this FB group for more info;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/297956927275903/
Old 08-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

thank you for the facebook link

sounds like overall you have been pleased with yours

i am also researching the ATC trailers, lighter but more expensive

so far seem to have very good reviews
Old 08-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #5

I have a 2013 WPT25UL. I am 2nd owner - just picked it up this past spring. Looks like spent most of its life in storage. Very little use marks other than where previous owner took a corner too tight and bent the awing tube and broke off an under awning side light.

Construction quality is better than today's models. Even as a UL (ultra light) model, there is lots of plywood used in this thing compared to newer models. My roof is single sheet aluminum and is walkable - however I plan to limit that and do like on my other trailers - temporary put plywood down to walk or sit on to stress the metal less. I do this with my utility trailer and since the plywood will span over structural members, there is no actual roof stress.

Other stuff like cabinets are as cheap as any rv. they are very thin pressed paper board. In some areas I plan to pull apart, back with real plywood and then put the original board over top to simply match.

One area I plan to beef up is the strapping on the holding tanks. they appear to be just held on the edges and since i plan to trailer to off grid locations - i will travel with full tanks.
privateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #6

This is all great info guys, thank you

Looked at a new 2018 work and play last week and there was a gap at the rear ramp door that i could look down and see the ground??!!

Still considering these in the older models but also looking at the ATC trailers

All info is good info so please keep it coming
Old 08-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvin View Post
This is all great info guys, thank you

Looked at a new 2018 work and play last week and there was a gap at the rear ramp door that i could look down and see the ground??!!

Still considering these in the older models but also looking at the ATC trailers

All info is good info so please keep it coming

new units lose value so quickly. I am happy with my gently used 5 year old box. One thing to consider is that warranty period is a pain as you have to take it to be repaired and that includes travel and time away for things that may be more easily self-repaired.

my rule of thumb is they lose 50% value every 4 years. My unit was about 50% of new, in another 4 years it will be worth about 50% of that amount then too (or 25% of new). Depreciation is quick even if not used... In part because of the deep discount of new.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:25 AM   #8

Quote:
thank you for the facebook link

sounds like overall you have been pleased with yours

i am also researching the ATC trailers, lighter but more expensive

so far seem to have very good reviews
I love mine, I bought it from a repo auction and got it dirt cheap.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ner-52037.html

At the time I really thought I was just buying something to race my dirt bike out of. My wife fell in love with camping, now we camp so much, the dirt bike has taken a back seat.

I've looked at newer ones, but the construction just seems very poor. I'll keep this one and make it what I want.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:15 AM   #9
My First Toy Hauler

Quote:

any others in the 20-23ft range that have similar floor plans?

does any other company make trailers similar to work and play units

thank you
Mine is the 2007 Work and Play 18LT. 4860# dry, 7800# loaded, 3000# cargo, (2 full sized milwaukee dressers pretty well fill it up). 41 gal fresh water, 22 gal grey, 27 black. Rooftop air. My hitch weight runs around 890#. The 2008's are identical other than bigger water tanks and lesser cargo wt. Built like a tank! Sets pretty low so you want a good hitch setup.They seem to hold their value well selling in the 8-10K range for a nice one. There are few brands out there similar to the Work and Plays; Play-Mor Motorsports are nice, I have seen a few Roadmaster/Campmaster but they are rare. You might also keep your eye out for some of the converted cargo trailers. Some of those I have seen can be pretty nice depending on the quality of the craftsman.
Rednight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #10

If I had to do it over again I`d never bought my 30WR . Its a constant battle making sure it doesn`t leak. And don`t got by the dry weight sticker on the side . They are so far off it isn`t even funny . My 30 WR sticker claims the dry weight is 7640. the weight of it on the cat scale with 2 batteries the wd hitch and a propane it is just over 10000 pounds.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #11

And they laughed when I showed up to look at mine with a set of scales for both trailer and tongue weight. Also had generator, compressor, 5x mounted tires, pressure and electrical tester, and a truck full of tools. I may travel heavy but I am usually prepared for anything...

so I knew exactly what mine weighed before I purchased and towed it home...

Tags
work and play