Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

Installing 2nd AC

I know this has been covered elsewhere in the FR forums, but wanted to ask the W&P gang directly for any input you'd like to offer. My '14 30WLA did not come with the optional 2nd AC in the bedroom. My understanding was, and it appears to be so, that the RV is pre-wired for it and that it's braced properly to just drop 1 in.

Looks simple enough to do...things looking too simple always concern me. Just figured I would drop in a relatively inexpensive 13k non-ducted unit. I'll still have ducting off the primary which I can close off, or use if I am somewhere I don't have the amperage to run both (like on my gen) Any recommendations as to brand, btu, options? Any heads ups I should know before ordering one and dedicating me and a friends afternoon to installing it?

TIA!
Jim
JrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #2

Do you have 50 Amp breaker box in you W&P?
Cajun Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Style View Post
Do you have 50 Amp breaker box in you W&P?
Yes. It came with 50A service and what appears to be dedicated romex in cut out for it. Although I didn't put a tester to them yet and see what breaker they're tied into.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #4

I am glad I attached my second A/C to the ducts and have its own thermostat.

The A/C uses a 15 AMP circuit and a 12V circuit. When you order the A/C the unit is separate from the bolt/ controller package. My 12 V is spliced into the bedroom light circuit, thermostat wire was already in the wall, just installed the thermostat on the wall. Your hardest part is getting it on the roof, I had a farmer with a tractor help lift it for me.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #5

I used a scaffold, my son helped get it up and on top.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	134664

I used my tractor with forks and a pallet to get mine (3rd) on the roof. Not sure what I would have done without it.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolharts View Post
I am glad I attached my second A/C to the ducts and have its own thermostat.

The A/C uses a 15 AMP circuit and a 12V circuit. When you order the A/C the unit is separate from the bolt/ controller package. My 12 V is spliced into the bedroom light circuit, thermostat wire was already in the wall, just installed the thermostat on the wall. Your hardest part is getting it on the roof, I had a farmer with a tractor help lift it for me.
I've got a tractor and a brother-in-law, so I'm in pretty good shape for getting it up on roof...so long as I don't run short on beer and lose the brother-in-law.

I was really thinking I'd just let it blow from the ceiling. There is a duct or 2 in the bedroom ducted to the main AC. My thought was to leave those connected the way they are for times I don't have the juice to run both. Is it simple to go to ducted? I suppose it requires a different controller (the ceiling piece, right?)..and I don't suppose it would be difficult to add new ducts in the ceiling. Would it??

I'm just not sure which model to buy. I'm not really price sensitive so can get whatever. I'd really like something with a remote control, only saw 1 of those browsing. Dometic, Coleman, Atwood, what else? Are there any I should avoid?

And, looking to pull the lowest amperage I can get away with so that perhaps I can run both off the gen. 13.5K BTU is really the smallest I see and I assume that's going to have lowest draw I can get away with. That sound right or am I missing something.

Appreciate you taking the time to think it through with me!
Jim
Old 04-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

( Advent ) is another brand.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #9

I have a 50 amp service and i am sitting in the caper now with both a/c units keeping it cool.

Inside, pull out the trim for your roof vent and look around. Mine was preducted for a second a/c, power and wire prep was there. If yours does not have it than go with your original plan.

My big cold weather dog is really appreciating the increased air flow from the ducts after a long walk.
2018 25 2019 25
Old 07-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #10

where do the pre-wires tie to???

So, hoping to install the unit I received in the next couple days before taking off on Saturday on a 2 week trip.

Question: so in the bedroom vent cut out, the wiring for the unit appears to be there (pre-wired). But where to do they go and tie into?
Do they need to be tied into the panel with a new breaker?
Would they be loose in the space behind the main power panel?

Not with the unit right now, so can't go dig around and look. Driving out tomorrow late to get started. any input on the wiring side of things would be greatly appreciated. I decided to simply by a ceiling control unit and have this unit dedicated to the bedroom.

TIA!
Jim
Old 07-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrFish View Post
So, hoping to install the unit I received in the next couple days before taking off on Saturday on a 2 week trip.

Question: so in the bedroom vent cut out, the wiring for the unit appears to be there (pre-wired). But where to do they go and tie into?
Do they need to be tied into the panel with a new breaker?
Would they be loose in the space behind the main power panel?

Not with the unit right now, so can't go dig around and look. Driving out tomorrow late to get started. any input on the wiring side of things would be greatly appreciated. I decided to simply by a ceiling control unit and have this unit dedicated to the bedroom.

TIA!
Jim
If your unit is truly 2nd A/C ready you will have a 50 AMP service. On the ceiling of the bedroom will be an electrical box with the A/C wires, you will not have to go into the breaker box, the breaker is there labeled front A/C. This is where I said to run a 3' piece of Romex from to your A/C unit.
2018 25 2019 25
Old 07-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #12

Thanks for the quick input Cool.

I should have taken a picture when I was out there, but apparently I'm not that smart.

I had removed the trim a while back, nothing was in a junction box or tied off. I did not tear into the ceiling space and look around. It was just 3 wires, 1 being a grd, IIRC. It was probably a romex to the breaker, a 12v, & T-stat wire. But it was not in a J-box. I didn't strip anything back and look as close as should have.

It was my impression that all of these were models were prewired and AC ready, just the AC was the option. Maybe what you read on the internets is not always true...hmmm. I will dig into it tomorrow night and see what's going on. Stay tuned!

Thanks again!!