Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #1

Love the trailer not happy with wiring!!!

I picked up a 2014 30FWB a month or so ago. Brand new trailer. So Far I had to fix the electric brakes on it, At the cost of taking my Truck into the dealer thinking it was it. Brakes did not work. Under the trailer where they spliced the run away brakes to the brakes. The Cheap 3M Splice failed. 2 hours of the deal checking the truck to find out it was my brand new trailer.

Next was main plug on the outside of the trailer. Went to a camp site set up the trailer. Hot day so the A/C was running. Getting ready to leave to go check a few thinks out. All power went out. After checking everything found the outside plug was messed up. Took it apart to find the Black wire was not installed right. As it heated up it melted the plastic and pull out of the spot. An hour and half checking eveyrthing and finding that and fixing it got it back up an running.

Quilty control does not seem to be very high on these trailers!!
Tweeternpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sorry for your issue's.
Just fyi.
Forest river rv does not make the frame and axles nor wire anything to do with the brakes.
They also do not make the power cord and do not use the on supplied with the trailer during testing.

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Sorry for your issue's.
Just fyi.
Forest river rv does not make the frame and axles nor wire anything to do with the brakes.
They also do not make the power cord and do not use the on supplied with the trailer during testing.

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
Note: Forest River doesn't make anything to do with the trailer except the trailer itself. It is their responsibility to deliver a working unit free from defects. What I understand from the original post is that the power plug on the side of the trailer was put together in a sloppy way. If he was able to take it apart and find a loose wire that can be fixed, that is NOT the power cord, it is the plug on the side of the trailer. The power cord cannot be taken apart and worked on.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Note: Forest River doesn't make anything to do with the trailer except the trailer itself. It is their responsibility to deliver a working unit free from defects. What I understand from the original post is that the power plug on the side of the trailer was put together in a sloppy way. If he was able to take it apart and find a loose wire that can be fixed, that is NOT the power cord, it is the plug on the side of the trailer. The power cord cannot be taken apart and worked on.
Yep re read and I missed it

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Plain Old Member

We had a loose hot lug on the marinco power inlet also and was able to pull the wire out by hand. Luckily, I'm one of those to take crap apart when it's new, so found it before it was a problem. Always a good thing to check every electrical connection from day one. Never know what you'll find.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #6

I had to replace the entire brake wiring on my brand new coach because I could not stop the rig, the dealer and the factory said it was ok. I put in mil spec wiring with soldered terminations and terminal strips, she stops great now...

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
Incheon, S. Korea

jevanb-I had wires come off in my hand just by touching them. I'm soldering and splicing and installing a fuse box and re-wiring and... My week is shot. I'll have a trouble free trailer though!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #8

WOW not good to see I am not the only one. When we pay that much money for a new trailer. I would expect it to be trouble free at less for a year. Brakes stop working half way home. Picked it up 3 hours from our house.

It was the power plug mounted on the out side of the trailer. I sent an email that I got off of here to Work and play warranty people to tell them of the troubles I have had with this new trailer. See if I hear anything back.
Tweeternpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #9

Second camp mine threw a warning light to the truck. When I got to the camp site found the wires cut. They ran on top of the axel and the fresh water tank bracket was also on top of the axel, cut the brake wires.
smokeater1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:39 AM   #10

Had to replace main female receptacle on power cord...melded plastic together...lights were always blinking! I have 2011 30 ft. W P
wjpaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Sorry for your issue's.
Just fyi.

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. As I have said before, while in Goshen @ the Columbus factory, we witnessed the crew assembling axles to the frames. Thus this would require them to connect the wiring. Also as already pointed out, it appears it was the trailer receptacle that was bad. While I was installing a hard wired surge gard, I repaired evidence of bad wiring also.

FWIW.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #12

At the Rock/Flag Factory we saw (Stacks) of (Frames-Axles-and Wheels/Tires)! They start down the Assy line with a Upside Down Frame,then they place the (Tanks)in location as well as many other items! The (Axle/Wheel/Tires) are placed on just before the (Flip) as it goes down the Assy line! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
At the Rock/Flag Factory we saw (Stacks) of (Frames-Axles-and Wheels/Tires)! They start down the Assy line with a Upside Down Frame,then they place the (Tanks)in location as well as many other items! The (Axle/Wheel/Tires) are placed on just before the (Flip) as it goes down the Assy line! Youroo!!
That's how I remember it !

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #14

The quality control checklist on forest river products (well at least Wildcat) should be in braille so the inspectors know what to look for.

Quality control...what a great concept. I guess they all meet once a year at the rally.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, wiring