Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #61

New member and Work and Play owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Turbo, regarding your rig polishing. I now have to do the same thing. my work and play graphics are splitting. these have to be the cheapest graphics I have ever seen. I am in the process of removing them now and will have to polish the gel-coat then wax it.

Sorry to hear that, it is not a good I would wish on my worst enemy. With yours being white, it may not be as bad as mine. I can still see where the graphics were, but have come to the conclusion, that I just have to live with it.

Graphics come off with a heat gun, the reflective (chrome) ones I would leave on, if at all possible?

I tried a lot of different approaches, in the end a Harbor Freight 6" dual action polisher did as good a job, as my big Milwaukee with a wool pad.

Use the "pink" HF foam pad, with some rubbing compound and the "black" HF pad to apply the wax.

Use a petroleum based wax, not synthetic. The gel coat seems to "soak" it up? Sounds weird, I know.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
The odds are better than even that one of my full dress Harley's may take a ride back there and I wanted the security of the nuts and fender washers on the underside of the floor.
I hear ya on that one! I too was apprehensive about screws - (and I even used every other hole!) But I figured my heaviest bike is about 300 lbs so I would try screws first and it that proved insufficient then I could drill them out and put bolts.
Now that they are in there with screws I feel real good about them (hell there are so many anyway and each of then are 3/4" deep it has no sign of loosing)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
Sorry to hear that, it is not a good I would wish on my worst enemy. With yours being white, it may not be as bad as mine. I can still see where the graphics were, but have come to the conclusion, that I just have to live with it.

Graphics come off with a heat gun, the reflective (chrome) ones I would leave on, if at all possible?

I tried a lot of different approaches, in the end a Harbor Freight 6" dual action polisher did as good a job, as my big Milwaukee with a wool pad.

Use the "pink" HF foam pad, with some rubbing compound and the "black" HF pad to apply the wax.

Use a petroleum based wax, not synthetic. The gel coat seems to "soak" it up? Sounds weird, I know.
That's funny cause I use the exact same components including the harbor freight pads (pink with rubbing compound and black for wax) on an electric oscillating D/A style buffer - I too still see the yellowing on the gelcoat lines where it is still white where graphics were. I'm considering wet sanding with 1000 grit then buffing to see if I can get it white again.

I kinda like it with out those crazy graphics - if I add anything I might get a couple of strips made of knobby tracks going 45 degrees across the back half

Old 06-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #64

Quote:
That's funny cause I use the exact same components including the harbor freight pads (pink with rubbing compound and black for wax) on an electric oscillating D/A style buffer - I too still see the yellowing on the gelcoat lines where it is still white where graphics were. I'm considering wet sanding with 1000 grit then buffing to see if I can get it white again.

I kinda like it with out those crazy graphics - if I add anything I might get a couple of strips made of knobby tracks going 45 degrees across the back half

Great minds think alike! Those are the pads i used. If you really want to spend some quality time with that buffer, spread a little Mothers on the aluminum corner caps, then get busy with with the pink pad. That aluminum will shine up like a new penny.

I like the knobby track idea.

I would not go any finer than 1500 grit? I did my rear door (the ramp door) with 800 (got frustrated, in a hurry)it did not turn out well.

Forget wetsanding takes too looooong. Get some hook and loop discs for the smae DA you are using to polish with.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...4801969&rt=rud

MUCH faster.
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #65

I am a little worried about the thickness of gelcoat. It is not super smooth like a boat, it has slight bumps and I am thinking the sanding will wear down the high spots.

Am I overly concerned here? Yours sure turned out good.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #66

Quote:
I am a little worried about the thickness of gelcoat. It is not super smooth like a boat, it has slight bumps and I am thinking the sanding will wear down the high spots.

Am I overly concerned here? Yours sure turned out good.
The gelcoat on the sides of mine are at least 1/2 mil thick. I would not worry about sanding on them with 1500 grit.
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #67

Question. Should I be concerned about my gennie and compressor getting wet, if it drive in a rain storm?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1403744397.315619.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	668.0 KB
ID:	56372

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #68

Buy a piece of the 1 inch blue foam insulation sheet and cut it to fit. put the compressor and generator on it and it will help protect them from rain while under way. I am gluing this foam to the walls and door for extra sound insulation as my generator is mounted. They also make heat mat like the foam with a aluminum side for heat protection.
1990Desert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work and play