Old 08-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Newbie with ?'s - WAB the strongest?

Hi everyone!
I've been reading thru and learning more about the Work & Play. We are about to purchase our first travel trailer. We have owned several horse trailers with LQ - so, I'm not totally in the dark. But, almost. Couple of questions - and, before we get de-railed...

@Concerned Taxpayer...I hear ya! I have already read your posts and photos. I'm taking your concerns under advisement. We are also considering an aluminum horse trailer and converting to a toy hauler. But, it is much more expensive and a bit overkill. Regardless - I have heard you loud and clear from reading thru the threads.

My questions to the experts-
Is the WAB the strongest of the Work & Play? I read thru a forum post that asked the difference between the WAB and WB. My understanding is that the WAB is stronger (and heavier). Is the WAB the strongest available on the W&P line of toy haulers?

My husband has a HD Street Glide & I have a HD Road King. Will they both fit fairly easily in the 25WAB?

Solar - I would love to boondock. Anyone use solar with success?

Are there any other models of W&P we should consider? We don't want any longer than the 25WAB. I have a hard time even finding the difference between the models on the FR website. I would like to be a little more "in the know" before we start talking to sales reps.

I've already learned a lot by reading the threads and comments. It is a bit overwhelming...But, I'm sure with time we will figure it out. Thanks for your help!

Happy Friday!

Old 08-05-2017, 12:07 AM   #2

Hello, Welcome

The things I seen in difference WAB-WB!
I'll start off with what you might know.
The WAB is/has:
78 lbs. more GVWR will be if you load it to the max.
856 lbs.less Cargo carrying capacity = less toys you can carry
3" more cargo room inside, front to back
Outside is 3" shorter ( Box )
Outside is 5" taller
7 Gal. More gray water capacity
7 Gal. More black water capacity

The WB is/has:
78 lbs less GVWR if loaded to max.
856 lbs. more cargo carrying capacity = more toys you can haul.
3" less cargo length inside, front to back.
3" longer outside ( box )
5" shorter
7 Gal. Less gray water capacity
7 Gal less black water capacity

From what I seen in picture:
WB doesn't have an electric bed in cargo area WAB does.
WB has pantry in kitchen next to door WAB doesn't.

That s my findings from what I can see I'm sure there are other little things different.
Hope it helps.
I never did solar I have solar to put on just never did.
As for as one being stronger or not, I don't know.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #3

Is your truck gas or diesel?
Old 08-05-2017, 01:45 AM   #4

I was wrong the WAB does have the pantry!
https://youtu.be/af6seX08vts
Old 08-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #5

HeritageChic,

My wife and I literally just purchased a 2017 25WAB in H-D Orange. Much like you and your husband, I ride a 2010 Street Glide and my wife runs a 2017 Heritage Softail Classic. We manage to haul them both by staggering the bikes, with the Glide up front, and the Heritage staggered slightly behind and to the left and closer to the kitchen cabinets. We are also new to this forum and have yet to load any pictures, but will try to do that later today. Given that all Harley-Davidson bikes are prone to leak a little at some point, we purchased heavy rubber matting and 3/4" plywood to place on the floor. This allows us to protect the floor, with any small amount of fluids lost to be soaked up by the plywood. In addition, the plywood also allows for us to mount our bike stands firmly to same, as well as additional tie down rings, without having to drill into the floor of the trailer. We have really enjoyed the 25WAB so far, and will be departing to Copper Harbor (UP Michigan) with the bikes in about a week. Good luck with the purchase, and we will try to post some pictures of the bikes loaded up yet today. Semper Fi, Scott
Old 08-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

I have owned a 2017 WAB for a year now and love it. 2014 18EC before that. You will love it. It is heavy, 7800 empty but is built like a tank. I have the 4000 Onan up front and it is a must. You will love the versatility of the two Happy Jack beds in back. I haul Motorcycles, Can Am Maverick, CanAm Spyder and Polaris Ranger with no problems.

I would take Concerned Taxpayer with a grain of salt. He sprayed water with a hose on his roof and then took a picture. He has never had a leak.

Chas Hood with FR warranty has been very good to work with on several minor problems I have had.

I would not recommend 1/2 ton tV if you are doing a lot of hills or mountain terrain. I Towed with a Ford F150 3.6 EB for a year but braking an transmission heating was a problem. Loaded I am just under 10,000 #.

Jack
Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #7

Truck is diesel. Was with my brother in law today who totally ragged on the W&P. Nice guy, but we have a difference of opinion on lots of stuff. He went on and on about how heavy they are and even a 3/4 diesel will struggle. I have a hard time believing that. And how "basic" the LQ's are. Typical that we would disagree. it doesn't really change my mind. He is into Honda's - we are into Harley's. to each his own, right?
Old 08-05-2017, 09:36 PM   #8

Thanks for all the responses. Very good info. Obviously I'm slightly challenged in how to respond to forums. Another learning curve. This forum is full of fantastic info. Love reading about the modifications. I think we are leaning toward the WAB. There are only 4 that I can find for sale of the model we want here in Texas. That just seems crazy!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

Your Diesel 2500 truck will have no problem with pulling the 25 WAB.
Towing Campers is all crazy, it's fun but crazy!
As for as a TT i would only own a Work n play.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #10

One very distinct advantage of the Work and Play is the low floor and and very low angle of the ramp door. When hauling our motorcycles I ride in to a Condor chalk. This is very important to consider when choosing a toy hauler.

Jack

Tags