Old 09-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #1

OK Sell Me on a Work and Play!

My wife and I are considering a toy hauler, but i have a pretty big toy. Its an 81 Jeep Scrambler which tips the scales around 5500-6K. It would ned a space 17' deep and the wheelbase width is around 90", although i could skinny it s bit with different wheels.

I have a shiny new 2015 F-250 King Ranch Crew deisel with all the Ford tow package gizmos and whirlygigs.

Wife wants a pretty interior for all her snooty wine drinking girlfriends.

OK go - what will work?

ScrambledCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Reconsider... we purchased a 2014 work and play in August 2013. The first years it spend over 16 weeks at the dealer gettign warranty work done. Every time we have taken it out somethin breaks, falls off or fails.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #3

Wow - bad start...
ScrambledCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #4

OK Sell Me on a Work and Play!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442196315.912072.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	88602

Done and done!

Always wanted to build one.

Sold the krawler, and built a family JK.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #5

Well, I can't speak directly to WnP quality, but let me interject that the more time you spend reading multiple manufacturer forums, quality, or frequently the lack thereof, is a common theme. Given your choice of toy, let me commend you for looking at the absolutely correct class of THs. Anything short of a cargo trailer-based unit won't come anywhere near to meeting your cargo weight requirements. Something like the The Catalyst 40WCH just makes that 17' garage. Although not as plush, a WnP 44RLS would offer more seating for wine drinkers, but I don't see a dimension for garage length. Regardless of which TH you decide on, I believe you will need to step up in the truck department. I'm pretty sure any TH capable of hauling that Jeep will be over your F250's towing capacity.
dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
Regardless of which TH you decide on, I believe you will need to step up in the truck department. I'm pretty sure any TH capable of hauling that Jeep will be over your F250's towing capacity.

X a billion.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #7

Overall, I have been happy with my Work and Play. The fit and finish of everything was done surprisingly well and the only major issue I had was a leak around the ramp door, which the dealer fixed with a new bulb seal.
I think your major problem is going to be the weight of the Jeep. Once you load it you will have zero capacity left for anything else (food, clothes, water etc...). Also, I believe the ramp door capacity is only 5,000 lbs which is a lot by most toy hauler standards.
Another thing to consider is the Work and Plays do not have a flat floor. The wheel wells protrude through the floor so you will need to use skinny wheels/tires.
If you get the weight down and put on skinny wheels/tires the 30FBW is an option the F250 can pull.
Lastly, if you are seriously considering a Work and Play, find a knowledgeable dealer. There are a lot of custom options you can do to these trailers that are not advertised and most dealers know nothing about, such as lengthening the cargo area, or raising the roofline
Old 09-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #8

I have a 2007 W&P that I bought as a repo unit. I have a little different perspective than a lot of other owners. I knew my rig would need repairs, when I bought it, due to the fact it was a repo.

Having said that, I can tell you, I have had very few problems with it, that i would attribute back to FR.

It is a durable unit that has served us well.

My wife has recovered the cushions, made new curtains and added several other things to better suit her "glamping" concept.

I like my rig, but I am cheap, the buy in cost keeps me liking it more and more.
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #9

I have as you can see in my signature a 26FBW WP. I have had no serious problems with mine. I have drawers that won't stay shut when traveling but everything works as it should.

The only thing I am dealing with is a bunch of tongue weight. I haul two rear engine buggies that each weigh at about 900 lbs. With a full fresh water tank and both the grey and black water tanks empty I have about 2300 lbs of tongue weight. I have two lawn chairs in the front compartment and some blocks of wood for the stabilizers. With the buggies and the fresh water tank and what little utensils in the cabinets my trailer weighs close to 12400lbs.

As for being fancy I don't know that I would say that. The booth table is lacking in my opinion. The couch and booth are decent. Craftsmanship is not great but not bad either.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #10

I have had my 2011 30WR since new and have had only one minor warranty repair when it was new. Forest River did a great job in my case by working with a dealer (where I did not buy the 30WR) they fixed it as good as new.

You will find someone with a complaint about every toy hauler made.

With the weight you mentioned your going to have a problem. Saying that if there was a trailer for your needs Work and Play is about the only one with the pay load and ramp pay load that has a chance to handle it.

You will have to go big and that means you will be heavy. Your truck will probably be out of it's max towing capacity by alot...

How about a motor home pulling a car trailer?

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work and play