Old 05-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
Site Team
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
When I got my dual cams I talked to a few old timers about them, They told me never grease the cams because that takes friction away. The friction is what you want to combat sway with. So that's what I did. Not saying your wrong because it must of worked for you. I`d grease the ball and pivot points like you did. I have two complete set with 500 550 800 and 1500 trunnion bars. If the dealer wasn`t so far away I would of hauled my new trailer home and installed the dual cams myself.
Reese does state you can lightly spread Vaseline on the cams to help quiet the hitch and prevent wear on the bars but I never did put any on my old hitch. After 4 yrs, it did develop some good grooves from the friction

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
Funny youroo mentioned having them for years. The hitch I had actually belonged to my Father was purchased in 1968, I started using it again in 1984 thru 2002 and it for $500. Stiil had 1200 lb bars and 800 lb bars. When i did get back into RV world in 2012 I had a SC series that did not work as well.
I used axle bearing grease on the dual cam system too, worked better than a sc system hands down.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
This forum is great , haven`t seen the bashing like other forums. I`m learning and trying to educate other , even thou I don`t know everything and never will. We all can learn and be happy campers. Lets eat smores
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #14
After having problems with the friction sway controls I bought a Reese dual cam. I just brought home the new trailer with the new hitch and it was night and day. I pulled the trailer through Atlanta with no problems at all. And if you have ever done that in the middle of the day you know what I'm talking about. I'm not going to say I didn't know it was back there but the trailer weighs 3 tons. I am very impressed with the hitch. It was a coin toss between the equalizer and the Reese. Both are super hitch's.
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
The Big Difference between the Reese Dual Cam and a Friction Only System is (You must Dislodge the Cams) from their Preset position then the Friction also comes into play as well! Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote