Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #1

Old style reese dual cam hitch

Is any one using one on there WP ? When I traded my old trailer in I wanted the dealer to install my reese dual cams on new WP. Service tech said that hitch wouldn`t work because of the propane tank location. I tried to explain to remove the tanks to drill the hole for the U bolts in propane tank tray. Then replace the tanks. I ended up getting a equalizer hitch. It worked great . I just think the dealer didn`t want to take the extra time to install my old hitch, plus get more money from me.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

I don't know the difference between an "old style" and current style of the Reese Dual Cam, but I have a new one on my 30WLA. The tanks weren't in the way, but I did have to re-route the trailer light wiring and the breakaway switch. The install wasn't too bad.
slapshot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #3

The old style , each side has two u bolts, new style
I think bolts on trailer tongue farther back and on the side.
sorry I don`t have any pictures.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #4

Just curious, which hitch do you like better? Weight distribution and sway control.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #5

I`ve only towed with the equalizer hitch about 500 miles so far. It performed great. But the reese performs great as well so as of now I can`t really tell which one works better on the road. I can say the equalizer is easier to hook up or readjust to different loads . The reese is harder to get it adjusted. A nice feature of the reese is the hitch block can take any weight trunnion bars . Where the equalizer block will only take the bars for that hitch weight. The reese you have to lift on to hook the chains up where the equalizer you lift trailer tongue and rear of TV up just like reese ,you just swing the bars over onto the L brackets. Hope this helps , I`m sure I left some details out thou. Both hitches are WD and sway.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #6

Which one makes more noise?

Sorry for all the off topic questions, I am currently borrowing a friends Eaz-Lift(which I don't like) and am trying to decide which hitch I want to buy. I really like the simplicity of the Andersen Hitch, but physics tell me it can't distribute very much weight to the front axle.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:32 AM   #7

For noise the reese made noise when doing slow tight turns but no noise when going down the road. Didn`t hear any noise from the equalizer hitch like others claim. I was told by one dealer that reese old style was better than the new style but I can`t say either way. Never used the new style.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:13 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Big Red, I had the older dual cam style, I never had sway towing with a Mercury Grand Marquis or a Safari Van with P series tires. The sway reduction was better on that then he new Reese with friction and no cams. What I have done is take the bottles off, mount the hitch, put spacers on the tongue made out of hard plastic or hard wood. Remount the tanks.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:29 AM   #9

Old style Reese DC , (3) U bolts per side,have used Vaseoline on Cams and Trunnion pivot points, (NO) noise,but then agin we have Only used this (Reese Hitch) for (42 Years)! We have (3) sets of Bars (500#/750#/and 1200#) that all fit the Same Head! Will let you know when it (Fails or makes noise)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Old style Reese DC , (3) U bolts per side,have used Vaseoline on Cams and Trunnion pivot points, (NO) noise,but then agin we have Only used this (Reese Hitch) for (42 Years)! We have (3) sets of Bars (500#/750#/and 1200#) that all fit the Same Head! Will let you know when it (Fails or makes noise)! Youroo!!
When I got my dual cams I talked to a few old timers about them, They told me never grease the cams because that takes friction away. The friction is what you want to combat sway with. So that's what I did. Not saying your wrong because it must of worked for you. I`d grease the ball and pivot points like you did. I have two complete set with 500 550 800 and 1500 trunnion bars. If the dealer wasn`t so far away I would of hauled my new trailer home and installed the dual cams myself.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
When I got my dual cams I talked to a few old timers about them, They told me never grease the cams because that takes friction away. The friction is what you want to combat sway with. So that's what I did. Not saying your wrong because it must of worked for you. I`d grease the ball and pivot points like you did. I have two complete set with 500 550 800 and 1500 trunnion bars. If the dealer wasn`t so far away I would of hauled my new trailer home and installed the dual cams myself.
Reese does state you can lightly spread Vaseline on the cams to help quiet the hitch and prevent wear on the bars but I never did put any on my old hitch. After 4 yrs, it did develop some good grooves from the friction
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Funny youroo mentioned having them for years. The hitch I had actually belonged to my Father was purchased in 1968, I started using it again in 1984 thru 2002 and it for $500. Stiil had 1200 lb bars and 800 lb bars. When i did get back into RV world in 2012 I had a SC series that did not work as well.
I used axle bearing grease on the dual cam system too, worked better than a sc system hands down.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #13

This forum is great , haven`t seen the bashing like other forums. I`m learning and trying to educate other , even thou I don`t know everything and never will. We all can learn and be happy campers. Lets eat smores
Old 05-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #14

After having problems with the friction sway controls I bought a Reese dual cam. I just brought home the new trailer with the new hitch and it was night and day. I pulled the trailer through Atlanta with no problems at all. And if you have ever done that in the middle of the day you know what I'm talking about. I'm not going to say I didn't know it was back there but the trailer weighs 3 tons. I am very impressed with the hitch. It was a coin toss between the equalizer and the Reese. Both are super hitch's.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #15

The Big Difference between the Reese Dual Cam and a Friction Only System is (You must Dislodge the Cams) from their Preset position then the Friction also comes into play as well! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch