Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #1

On board compressed air ??

Ive been looking at installing a small compressor mounted in the generator area. Anyone see any issues with this ? Was gonna relocate the battery (turn it sideways) and install a small 120 volt compressor. We always need air for our motorcycles and would be handy to refill the air bags on truck. I had it all planed out in my head with a 30 amp disconnect tied into the box behind the battery where genset supplies power to camper. Decided on a compressor that would fit. Then it struck me that it gets hot in there. Especially at a 2 day event where the genset runs non stop. That leads me up to my question......Would you think it gets to hot in there ?

JCMINIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Why not install a Viair on / in the truck itself. I have one mounted inside the truck toolbox with ventilation, and a QD on the running board. Carry a 50' hose and other attachments. Wouldn't be without it. Airs up truck and camper tires, pool toys, bike tires. Plus, feeds the train horns which is handy in some situations.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #3

I have a trailair supplying a 1 gal tank (reciever) in my tool box in the truck box .Its primary use is to provide air to the airbags on the rear suspension,but it is fitted out with 50 ' of 1/4" air line with a female quick clip. This makes it universal for almost any other use.The compressor is 12vdc so it can be used anywhere.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Leave the door open, and run a small elec. fan......Onans run enclosed in a lot of m/h's.....circulation would be the key thou....we run 'em all day long at the race track
Old 09-02-2015, 06:53 AM   #5

JC, I installed an 8 gallon 1.5 horse Kobalt brand air compressor in the front storage of our 40RLS, but we do not have the factory installed generator. I put my own generac generator in.

built a hook mount as high up as I could go, on the road side of the box, right up against the landing jack. I use a cheap ratchet strap to hold it tight to the back wall. this allows me to "easily" remove it if needed. I installed a power receptacle up there, and plan to install a hose reel at some point. but right now I have enough hose rolled up and hanging on the A/C handle to reach the rear axle tires.

work great, noisy as all get out in the bedroom though.....

I will try to remember to grab a picture or two tonight.
1997 TJ-ish....
rjtimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #6

Thanks rj....Thats a bit more air than I was planning as I was looking at 2 gallon models. But would love to see how ya have it set up. I might look into the 12v truck air compressor too. Not sure which way to go just yet.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Why not install a Viair on / in the truck itself. I have one mounted inside the truck toolbox with ventilation, and a QD on the running board. Carry a 50' hose and other attachments. Wouldn't be without it. Airs up truck and camper tires, pool toys, bike tires. Plus, feeds the train horns which is handy in some situations.
X2, plus I added an air horn for people that pull right in front of you as you all know how well we stop on a dime...
Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #8

I think if you use it smartly, you won't have any issues. By this I mean, don't leave it with full pressure all the time. When you're done with it, drain out some air 15-20 psi from the tank. When you go to use it, the compressor will recover that 15-20 psi in no time. That gives you some leeway on the pop-off valve for the tank.

I have one similar to this different brand, but same design. 3.3CFM @90 psi is plenty of air.

Makita 2.6-Gal. 2 HP Portable Electrical Hot Dog Air Compressor-MAC700 - The Home Depot
Old 09-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #9

Your best design is to put a 12 volt unit in the TV like some of the posts indicated. There are several high end units like Viair, ARB, Smittybuilt, etc. You will always have air when you need it because it will always be in the TV. Some are also removable to add to their versatility!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #10

Thanks folks. I believe I will go with a 12v TV mounted one. Glad I posted... I didnt even think of that !