Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

Operating generator in truck bed

As I recently posted, I purchased a Dometic generator. Now my question is, can I operate the generator in the truck bed? My plan is to open the tailgate as much as possible (tailgate hits top of tongue jack), open tonneau cover and run generator while we are stopped but hooked up to tow vehicle. I even thought of dropping a ground wire from the generator to the ground and perhaps putting a small fan in bed to provide cooling. Of course I will be sure no flammables near.

The owners manual says not to operate generator in truck but they do not rovide a reason.

I am hoping you all tell me it's ok because it will be a real pain getting the generator out of the bed since I cannot open the tailgate but about 3/4 ways.

Thanks for your comments.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have done it before while traveling down the road before.
Ran a cord to Tt bulkhead plug .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #3

When dry camping my Boliy generator lives in the truck bed ALL the time, fortunately it just fits under the flip-up toneau cover so I can raise the last panel when the gennie is running. I have an extension 30A cord to use if needed. The main reason for leaving it in the truck bed is that I don't want the gennie to "grow legs" when we are away from the campsite.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My generator lives in my truck bed on dry camping trips, but I can put my tailgate all of the way down. I make sure the exhaust is pointed away from everything

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

My Yamaha 3000 lives in my truck bed pretty much 365/24/7 cause it is so heavy. I built a "home" for it in the bed. The exhaust side has metal foil and insulation to keep the heat off the waterproof Teflon coated Kevlar (friend in the business) I made the cover out if.

The reason it should not be run in the bed is it gets hot. You should also not run it "uncovered" in the rain or when wet.
The electronic inverter will be damaged if run wet.

The ground connection on the generator is not for connecting to the "dirt" ground; but to the camper's frame. This way your GFI's in the camper will be reliable when you power the camper with your genset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 022.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	13058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 023.jpg
Views:	1093
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	13059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 021.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	13060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3816.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	13061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3815.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	13062  

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #6

So should I ground the generator to the frame or will the ground wire in the power cord do the same thing? When does the actual ground (dirt) come in?

Also, wow, I didn't know know you could put so much in the bed with a fifth wheel hitch. Nice.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
So should I ground the generator to the frame or will the ground wire in the power cord do the same thing? When does the actual ground (dirt) come in?

Also, wow, I didn't know know you could put so much in the bed with a fifth wheel hitch. Nice.
Yea, and its a short bed, too.

I don't believe "Dirt" ever comes into play with our campers when using a generator. They are "frame grounded." I have a gator clip on a long wire that I clip to the camper's frame when we boondock. That is all I have ever done.

Maybe one of our electricians can jump in here.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #8

Hmmmmm...... part owner in a plastic milk box company Lou ???? LOL

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Our Honda stays chained into the box of our truck anytime it comes with us as well. The exhaust is pointed up and out the side by design with the Honda when it is set in the bed sideways.

From my Honda owner manual.

GROUND TERMINAL
GROUND TERMINAL
Before using the ground terminal, consult a qualified electrician,electrical inspector or local agency having jurisdiction for local codes or ordinances that apply to the intended use of the generator.

The generator ground terminal is connected to the frame of the generator, the metal non-current-carrying parts of the generator, and the ground terminals of each receptacle.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Hmmmmm...... part owner in a plastic milk box company Lou ???? LOL

...VTX-Al
Be amazed what you can find if you look.

I have to add that the "milk" crates work GREAT not only in the truck bed but in the basement storage area. Makes loading and unloading for other uses and getting the camper inspected; a snap compared to how I used to do it.

PS they are not stolen. "Fake" Milk Crates are available at VERY attractive prices. http://www.cateringsuppliesdepot.com...FYje4AodKTT4Nw
Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Our Honda stays chained into the box of our truck anytime it comes with us as well. The exhaust is pointed up and out the side by design with the Honda when it is set in the bed sideways.

From my Honda owner manual.

GROUND TERMINAL
GROUND TERMINAL
Before using the ground terminal, consult a qualified electrician,electrical inspector or local agency having jurisdiction for local codes or ordinances that apply to the intended use of the generator.

The generator ground terminal is connected to the frame of the generator, the metal non-current-carrying parts of the generator, and the ground terminals of each receptacle.
Mine says the same thing. I figured tying the frames together is what it meant. I could certainly be wrong though...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #12

If I was still a member of the TrailManorOwners forums I would copy out an old post of mine. I am going to check with my electrical buddy and so I can remember what the exact answer is. Its all the NEC.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes I am a member of the milk crate club!
1 kindling
2 fire starting paper
3 coleman lanterns (2)
4 white gas and girl scout fluid
5 dog bowls and food
6 misc.

We also use empty ice cream buckets with lids
1 dog leashes /chains
2 misc tapes fuses and bulbs spare thisis and that's.
3 coozies
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #14

some local codes require you to ground your generator, others consider it to be a "closed" system only requiring bonding your unit if you run power from it into somewhere that is already fed from another power source (bonding two systems together).

I'd put your genny in your truck, turn it on and enjoy. Provided you have a decent extension with a working ground, you will be fine.
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
some local codes require you to ground your generator, others consider it to be a "closed" system only requiring bonding your unit if you run power from it into somewhere that is already fed from another power source (bonding two systems together).

I'd put your genny in your truck, turn it on and enjoy. Provided you have a decent extension with a working ground, you will be fine.
Thank you. Better safe than sorry, for sure.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #16

Marlk S.

A ground to "the ground" is not necessary and could pose a potential electrical problem. Plugging the trailer into the generator is just like connecting to he power pole at the RV park. The ground connection on the generator is the same as the ground on the plug on the generator, it should be the same on the power supplied by the RV park. The RV is never directly connected to earth ground due to rubber tires and the poor connection of any metal touching the ground - jacks, etc.

Just hook it up and run as you would in a RV park.

I think lowering the tailgate and opening the tonneau cover should be just fine. The generator needs a way to suck in air and a place to blow it out. If you bedroom is in front of your TT I would think about a fan to blow the exhaust away from the trailer.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
Site Team

my Avalanche has a 3-piece bed cover. i simply take one off and run the Honda inside, to make it quieterj and to provide ventilation.
never have fooled with a ground, don't feel it's necessary, based on Honda posts.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #18

Thanks for the advice. Working on getting all the details worked out before leaving in June of our 7 week Florida to South Dakota/Colorado/wherever sounds good to go trip. I know I will miss a lot of the things I need to know, but advice from forum members sure is helping.

Tags
bed