Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #1

Problem with toy hauler since new and forest river won't call me back about it.

I bought a new toy hauler a few years ago and the decals on the side split right away and a black gooey stuff started coming out of my roof. I called them once and they said the guy was on vacation. This was last year. Called them again this year and no response. I only use this camper a few times a year so it is not an emergancy but I really think they should fix it. I bought it new so I would have a nice camper and it looks like crap now. Two thumbs down with forest river customer service. Bob baker
Bobbyanddebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Sorry to hear this. Who is Bob Barker?

In general I find that the longer of time period that goes by the less chance of getting something taken care of. With that said I do understand about buying a new unit and wanting it to look like one.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

I am bob baker. I don't know where you see bob barker. I think he was the guy on let's make a deal, or maybe that was monte hall
Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyanddebbie View Post
I bought a new toy hauler a few years ago and the decals on the side split right away and a black gooey stuff started coming out of my roof. I called them once and they said the guy was on vacation. This was last year. Called them again this year and no response. I only use this camper a few times a year so it is not an emergancy but I really think they should fix it. I bought it new so I would have a nice camper and it looks like crap now. Two thumbs down with forest river customer service. Bob baker [moderator edit].
You say you bought it a "few" years ago, how many years is that exactly and what year is your camper? Who did you call, your dealer or Forest River? If you had this problem last year and the guy was on vacation, why did you wait an entire year to call again? If you only use this camper a few times a year, do you keep up with the maintenance on it? There are many questions that need some answers in order for anyone here to help you. If your problems are an appearance issue, we may be able to help. I'm not sure what type of "black goo" could possibly be coming off your roof.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
You say you bought it a "few" years ago, how many years is that exactly and what year is your camper? Who did you call, your dealer or Forest River? If you had this problem last year and the guy was on vacation, why did you wait an entire year to call again? If you only use this camper a few times a year, do you keep up with the maintenance on it? There are many questions that need some answers in order for anyone here to help you. If your problems are an appearance issue, we may be able to help. I'm not sure what type of "black goo" could possibly be coming off your roof.
I called forest river not my dealer. It is a 2012. The reason I waited a year to call is out sight out of mind. I have three farms, own a tool business that keeps me on the road 40 weeks a year , own an antique shop, and have rental properties. So that's why it is not on my mind . What does maintenance have to do with the stickers coming off. But in answer to your question I have a camper place winterized it each year and clean the fridge and fix a lp leak. I guess guess that would be keeping up on main thence.the black goo is where the silver metal is curved from the roof to the sides of the trailer. It looks like tar that was put under the metal to water proof it. It has only come down on one side. And the problems are only an appearance issue. The few problems that were really problems I got taken care of right away. My wife loves the trailer because she has three dogs and handicap scooters that she takes with us when we use it. I just thought the decals should not of split like they did, and the black goo is causing streaks down the side. If you have any other questions please feel free to call me. I will try to answer all questions
Old 09-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #6

The bad news is the stickers may or may not still be available. They change often & the manufacturers do not keep but so many. Their cracking is an industry wide problem. I know several people that have had their trailer stickers removed & the graphics painted back on.

Good Luck but I have a feeling the being 3 model years old you many not have too much luck. We have been fighting Subaru over engine heads on a three year old car that went bad after the dealer worked on it & we are not happy with their response. Looks like it is going to the scrap yard. Cheaper than fixing it.

Hope you have better luck!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
The bad news is the stickers may or may not still be available. They change often & the manufacturers do not keep but so many. Their cracking is an industry wide problem. I know several people that have had their trailer stickers removed & the graphics painted back on.

Good Luck but I have a feeling the being 3 model years old you many not have too much luck. We have been fighting Subaru over engine heads on a three year old car that went bad after the dealer worked on it & we are not happy with their response. Looks like it is going to the scrap yard. Cheaper than fixing it.

Hope you have better luck!!!!!!

Thanks oaklevel, I am not concerned with getting the same stickers but I think they should take the old ones off and put something on there. I think forest rivers builds a great trailer but they do have a few problems
Old 09-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Site Team

The black gooey stuff coming out of roof might concern me more then stickers coming off.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #9

First of welcome to the forum. Second I wouldn't publish my phone number on a open forum. If you can't remove it maybe you can ask a moderator do it for you. PM's work great for contact info.
Third no mater how busy you are a year between phone calls is a long time. You are now the owner of a three year old RV that us out if warranty. Keep After them and you might get some help but I wouldn't count in it. If they don't help you out try a body shop. I don't think it would cost all that much to have it painted or just take off the graphics. I like the plain caps better than the stickers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I called forest river not my dealer. It is a 2012. The reason I waited a year to call is out sight out of mind. I have three farms, own a tool business that keeps me on the road 40 weeks a year , own an antique shop, and have rental properties. So that's why it is not on my mind . What does maintenance have to do with the stickers coming off. But in answer to your question I have a camper place winterized it each year and clean the fridge and fix a lp leak. I guess guess that would be keeping up on main thence.the black goo is where the silver metal is curved from the roof to the sides of the trailer. It looks like tar that was put under the metal to water proof it. It has only come down on one side. And the problems are only an appearance issue. The few problems that were really problems I got taken care of right away. My wife loves the trailer because she has three dogs and handicap scooters that she takes with us when we use it. I just thought the decals should not of split like they did, and the black goo is causing streaks down the side. If you have any other questions please feel free to call me. I will try to answer all questions
I understand the whole "being busy", but if it's "out of sight, out of mind", sometimes we have to accept our faults and deal with the consequences. As for the "black goo, tar like substance", I am not familiar, nor have I heard of, with any type of sealant that FR uses that would cause that type of "oozing". The reason I asked of maintenance is, some have tend to let their rigs sit an entire year without washing, checking seals, etc. Not sure where you are located, but some areas of the south have high heat and strong UV rays that tend to damage the vinyl stickers much quicker. This is where a good UV protectant should be applied, to keep the vinyl graphics from drying out. Pictures of the "goo" may help to identify the problem.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I am bob baker. I don't know where you see bob barker. I think he was the guy on let's make a deal, or maybe that was monte hall

Sorry about the typo on the name.

Would the show be "The Price is Right"?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #12

The Show::: As in "come on down"??
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #13

Have you thought about going to a local vinyl sign /graphics shop to see what they can do?
Old 09-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Have you thought about going to a local vinyl sign /graphics shop to see what they can do?

Those graphics shops wrap a complete car--should be easy to do an RV.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Those graphics shops wrap a complete car--should be easy to do an RV.

Russell
I saw a F350 yesterday that was covered from nose to tail, looked good.

So yes a little bit on each side of a trailer should be no problem plus it just might last a little longer than anything from the factory.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 AM   #16

I had the goo coming out of the same place most on the passenger side front at the top where the curved aluminum meets the walls. It has a putty type consistency and is probably some sealent that is finding it's way out of the seam. My thought is that it is just excess and is just a maintenance issue. I just got a plastic putty knife and scraped it clean with the seam. used mineral spirits and then some wax to clean it up. Camco and others make a black streak remover which will also help on the clean up.

Can't help on the stickers I know they go bad if they sit out in the weather and sun. I don't think you will have much luck with the Factory due to the age of your rig. I would have the graphics removed and then painted on..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, toy hauler