Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
Living 'Off Grid'

Radio upgrade?

2011 W&P30 with a Jensen 8035. Looking to upgrade the radio. Need a radio that's Bluetooth compatible.

I tried calling Jensen but of course no one returned my call.

I know I can get any old radio but I'm looking for something that's plug & play. (uses same wiring harness without modifying)

I have not yet removed the current radio to see what I'm dealing with. Anyone ever do this?
Thanks

ps. I live in my W&P and I'm totally off grid. Pics here: k4kmg.com if anyones interested.
Snuff Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

I can't help you a bit with the radio but thanks for posting the link. Really like the camp set up you have. Might have to pay you a visit next year when I am attending bikeweek.

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

Check this out saves you the effort and cost in replacing unit, adds bluetooth and extremely reasonable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	102198  
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
Living 'Off Grid'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyr View Post
Check this out saves you the effort and cost in replacing unit, adds bluetooth and extremely reasonable
Good idea but the input on the radio is AV not AUX. Go figure!

I'm going to pull the unit today and see if I can easily replace with another radio.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

I am annoyed with ours too. The brand new 2016 28UCR doesn't even have bluetooth. It came with a Furrion DV5700. I plan on upgrading it too but need to find a reasonable unit that has AV out for the TV DVD function.

Also need to figure out a way to integrate this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LQ5K8q8...Onyx-Plus.html
powerstroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Living 'Off Grid'

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroked View Post
I am annoyed with ours too. The brand new 2016 28UCR doesn't even have bluetooth. It came with a Furrion DV5700. I plan on upgrading it too but need to find a reasonable unit that has AV out for the TV DVD function.

Also need to figure out a way to integrate this: SiriusXM Onyx Plus Dock & Play satellite radio with vehicle kit (subscription sold separately by SiriusXM) at Crutchfield.com
Does your tv have a USB port? That's how I watch movies and such. Just dump movie/TV shows onto the thumb drive and plug into back of TV.

Update: JVC Digital Media Receiver (KD-X320BTS) (doesn't look like it has AV though) Got it on Amazon for 75 bucks. Bluetooth/Sirius/Pandora/iheart/iPod/iPhone/Android compatible! Fit in the existing mount, just had to rewire the plug. VERY easy. All wires were the same color. Took me about 15 minutes. Have 40 gigs of music on my tablet that I'm listening to now via BT. I'm Happy!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuff Gear View Post
ps. I live in my W&P and I'm totally off grid. Pics here: k4kmg.com if anyones interested.
So when the BIG storms hit FL, do you just hook up the house and boogie out of state?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
Living 'Off Grid'

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
So when the BIG storms hit FL, do you just hook up the house and boogie out of state?
No longer practical to do that. Too attached to the solar/100# propane/septic/etc... Just have to 'hunker down' and hope for the best!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #9

I was thinking of changing our radio also. Some things so I can get my back-up cam together?
reebavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Does your tv have a USB port? That's how I watch movies and such. Just dump movie/TV shows onto the thumb drive and plug into back of TV.

Update: JVC Digital Media Receiver (KD-X320BTS) (doesn't look like it has AV though) Got it on Amazon for 75 bucks. Bluetooth/Sirius/Pandora/iheart/iPod/iPhone/Android compatible! Fit in the existing mount, just had to rewire the plug. VERY easy. All wires were the same color. Took me about 15 minutes. Have 40 gigs of music on my tablet that I'm listening to now via BT. I'm Happy!
My TV is a Furrion with a USB port, but I haven't tried to use the media function yet. I figured I would just use my laptop hooked to the TV to play movies from there but it would be nice to have an option to play DVDs from the head unit as well if I didn't want to run the laptop.

Like everyone else said, very nice setup you have there. I just went and checked out the site myself.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:52 AM   #11
Living 'Off Grid'

Quote:
My TV is a Furrion with a USB port, but I haven't tried to use the media function yet. I figured I would just use my laptop hooked to the TV to play movies from there but it would be nice to have an option to play DVDs from the head unit as well if I didn't want to run the laptop.

Like everyone else said, very nice setup you have there. I just went and checked out the site myself.
Some tv's with usb ports only have the port available for updating the firmware. Some ports will allow playing of various media files. My tv will play mp3's/4's but not mkv's so I sometimes have to convert first.

One of these days, I'll figure out how to make a video with my phone and put it up on my site.

Search 'River Ranch' on youtube for some videos. I live in a pretty cool/fun place!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:

Thanks for posting that image. I had an opposite need (wanting headsets for my TV) and never thought of Bluetooth.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:30 AM   #13
Living 'Off Grid'

UPDATE: The JVC I put in is a really nice radio! One of my best upgrades. In comparison, the Jensen was a POS. Wish I'd done this years ago.

I have at least 64 gigs of music on my tablet. The JVC paired immediately and I've been enjoying good music ever since.

Don't lose the 'removal keys' that come with your radio! Put them somewhere safe and then don't forget where you put them! Makes life a whole lot easier if you ever need to remove your radio.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #14

Quote:
UPDATE: The JVC I put in is a really nice radio! One of my best upgrades. In comparison, the Jensen was a POS. Wish I'd done this years ago.

I have at least 64 gigs of music on my tablet. The JVC paired immediately and I've been enjoying good music ever since.

Don't lose the 'removal keys' that come with your radio! Put them somewhere safe and then don't forget where you put them! Makes life a whole lot easier if you ever need to remove your radio.

Was the wiring fairly similar to a normal automotive stereo?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 AM   #15
Living 'Off Grid'

Quote:
Was the wiring fairly similar to a normal automotive stereo?
Pretty much.
Radio came with a new wiring harness, and amazingly, the wire colors on the plug provided matched the color/pin-out of the wires from the radio I was replacing. I had the manual/wiring diagram from the original radio, and of course, the new radio, which made it easy. Antenna port was your typical standard style plug in.

Of course, I had long ago misplaced the little tools that are used to remove the radio from it's enclosure. Had to take the whole thing apart to get the old radio out of it's case. After that, it was a 15 minute job to rewire the new plug to the old wiring.

Old radio was a 'single din' config as was the new. Fit right in to the old case.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Just ordered this! Hope it works good!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #17

So then it's normal from the factory for the Furrion tv to only play dvd's in black and white from this Jenson player? Mine has done this since day one I used it, which was unfortunately after the initial shake down trip for discovered repairs/replacements discovered.
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #18

Our first camping trip is this weekend. I will bring a DVD and see how ours works.

Tags
radio, upgrade